Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
If you want to be a crossfitter, listen to crossfitters. If you want to be a weightlifter, listen to weightlifters and their coaches.
How do you argue with that logic.
The question is, are you doing 100% weightlifting?

To add to my original response, when I switch to olympic lifting, I almost double my protein intake, and really ensure that I get enough fats. If I fail to do both, I always feel hungry, and never recover from heavy lifting sessions.

And of course I remember SAM. Tell him I say hi!
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...tler/sam-1.jpg
Here's the poster I made when training with him.
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
Mike Ng

Argh Izzo, just eat more food, ALOT more. You can't subsist on raw broccoli and distilled water and expect to get strong...
Mike Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Mike Ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Glasser View Post
How do you argue with that logic.
The question is, are you doing 100% weightlifting?

To add to my original response, when I switch to olympic lifting, I almost double my protein intake, and really ensure that I get enough fats. If I fail to do both, I always feel hungry, and never recover from heavy lifting sessions.

And of course I remember SAM. Tell him I say hi!
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...tler/sam-1.jpg
Here's the poster I made when training with him.
What up Jordan, we've still got that poster up in the gym. Hope you're still lifting big up there in the great white north.
Mike Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Jordan Glasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ng View Post
What up Jordan, we've still got that poster up in the gym. Hope you're still lifting big up there in the great white north.
I wouldn't say lifting big. I'm doing my best not to get any worse. Better technique, not as strong. All I have to do is stop crossfitting to get that strength back!

How I miss The Hangar Gym!
Jordan Glasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Eat more protein.....enough carbs to maintain glycogen stores and time them properly for maximum absorption (which isn't going to be much for lifting only like Greg says)....eat more fat for not getting too low on calories....and then eat some more meat. The muscles you develop in heavy lifting are not going to be the same water/glycogen filled muscles BB develop for show. Anyone preaching the zone is the only one way to eat for all goals and sports.......well just don't listen to them as they don't know nutrition.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
sarena kopciel

And Rachel, do you hear everyone echoing the need to eat MEAT! I know you have tried meat a few times recently (yeah those baby steps) but really being veg and eating a lot of soy aint gonna do sh*t for your lifting, which I think you know at this point on some level!! You are getting great advice here from everyone!

And I think you decided that CF isnt a long term plan for you now either so why still hold onto the zone. If you are questioning it so, perhaps you are also doubting its basis as your current nutritional plan as well!
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
Eva Claire Synkowski

like others have said, you will have to do what works for you.

i will say that i cut way down on zone allotment of carbs, and get much more fat. i am by no means a weightlifter, but i do more weightlifting than anything else. so i shoot for zone protein, <1/2 zone carbs (50-70g/day), and virtually unlimited fat. you really don't need as many carbs as zone prescribes. iirc, robb wolf mentioned on his blog that olifters could likely run at/near ketosis most of the time.
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
Rachel Izzo

oh no Mike, you found me! now there's no escaping you

Jordan, I always read that poster when I lift! I think it's funny. Oh, and yes I'm only doing weightlifting now (after a bit of a transitional period ...)

The zone seems to work for me as of right now. So does not eating a ton of meat (fish, cottage cheese, eggs, whey protein, soy protein). The reason I question it is because I don't know a lot of lifters that do. People tell me to eat more carbs ... but then Greg says zone is TOO many carbs ... I just don't know who to listen to, what to do, or what my body needs! I need to be able to tune into myself more and see what I need, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Rachel Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #19
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Izzo View Post
What do you all honestly think about the zone and lifting, and I mean full-time lifters? Everyone at my gym is discouraging me from doing it (apart from one girl who's also a CF trainer). Do elite lifters ever follow zone? Does it work for that heavy lifting? People are telling me no, more carbs, and just more food in general. So far, I'm not budging, but now learning that Melanie Roach and her nutritionist don't follow zone, I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Izzo View Post
The zone seems to work for me as of right now. So does not eating a ton of meat (fish, cottage cheese, eggs, whey protein, soy protein). The reason I question it is because I don't know a lot of lifters that do. People tell me to eat more carbs ... but then Greg says zone is TOO many carbs ... I just don't know who to listen to, what to do, or what my body needs! I need to be able to tune into myself more and see what I need, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
I didn't know you were a vegetarian, or I wouldn't have spent the time answering your question. No offense, but it goes back to what Robb W. said months ago. You're just not going to get enough good protein to back up what your body is trying to do (especially now that you're OLY instead of CFing).

Regarding carbs...some people do well with them. Some people take 300+ g of carbs with no ill effects. And hell, there are a few idiots out there that have put on a good bit of muscle on a high carb/low protein diet. However, it's not the norm.

You have to find what works for you. If you like the Zone, then stick with the Zone. Just know the answer to your original question is NO, no elite weightlifters follow the Zone (no elite athletes in any sport follow the Zone), no elite strength-lifters follow the Zone, and nobody here thinks it's a good idea for you. Maybe you're different, and it will work for you. Best of luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #20
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Claire Synkowski View Post
robb wolf mentioned on his blog that olifters could likely run at/near ketosis most of the time.
pretty much sums it up nicely