Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #21
Steve Liberati

Mike, that is exactly what I do with exception to the protein shakes. I drop them months ago in replace of probiotics, digestive enzymes, and more real food at Trader Shmos. My body (and wife) can't thank me enough. The afterburning stench of protein shakes has disappeared. Protein shakes were good for gas, that's about it.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
Chris Forbis

My grape juice + egg protein pwo shake has the same effect, albeit about 7-8 hours after consumption.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #23
Mike ODonnell

Just curious...why grape juice and egg vs a whey? I'm assuming the grape is to spike the insulin to increase transport but egg is slower digesting than Whey alone...so wouldn't Whey be a better choice?
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
Chris Forbis

I am basically trying to get rid of what egg protein powder I have left, then I plan on dropping it entirely. It was purchased when I was feeling particularly gung-ho about paleo (egg protein powder being more paleo than whey).
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #25
Allen Yeh

Update as of 1/25/2007:

I'm 19 days in at this point and other than the weirdness I felt last week it's been pretty smooth sailing since then.

Bodyweight/body composition - I'm done to 192 on the gym scale and 189 on the home scale so that's another 1-2 lb loss since last week. My wife keeps commenting that it seems like my bodyfat is going away very fast. At this point I'm only down a total of 3-4 lbs since I started on 1/6.

Performance - I haven't noticed a decrease in performance yet my lifting numbers are still going up and my met/con status is pretty much where it was before, if not slightly improved.

Misc. - My hunger pangs have almost completely gone away in the AM and PM. This past weekend I had a wings/pizza night with the family and I noticed I was able to "bounce" back from it a lot faster than before when I ate more frequently. Meaning, that after I ate all that stuff I didn't feel like crap all the next day as I have in the past.

Maybe just maybe there is something to this IF thing hm?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #26
Robb Wolf

Good stuff Allen.

I had kicked this idea around for several years but was pretty hesitant to throw it out for general consumption. It really flies in the face of standard practice considering everyone else recommends 6-7 small meals throughout the day. Keep us posted!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:09 AM   #27
Damien Thompson

Default Birthday IF

Oh yeah, ... IF'd my birthday today, ... well sort of any way, just ate a shit load and now feel too full to do anything but sleep.

Just finished an obscene amount of prawns!
Damien Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #28
Robb Wolf

Damien-
Happy B-day fellow Aquarious! sounds like we should put together a fund for some digestive enzymes for you!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #29
Allen Yeh

Weekends - I forgot to add earlier that the past 2 weekends I haven't been as strict on my weekends, I still try to eat within a 9 hour window but I'm not trying to figure out how much I get per day. It's much easier to do that when I'm at work because I'm usually on the computer and I can log it in as soon as I eat.

Robb, any comment on the dizziness/nausea that I posted up on page 2?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #30
Steve Liberati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
As of yesterday I was having no problems with IF but then weirdness?
I was thinking it was having too much coffee while on IF? Or possibly the insulin spike from the pre workout shake and not having much in my stomach before that? Anyone have any ideas?
Followed the same protocol as outlined and experienced a similar problem. For me, it was a dehydration issue. I neglected to hydrate myself in the first half of the day so to avoid bathroom stops while at work (on the road). As a result, payed for it dearly. Increased my water/tea/ACV consumption and problems quickly subsided.

Worth a shot.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote