Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Greg Everett
Administrator

Keep it light actually and the key with getting faster is.... making yourself move faster. I know it sounds dumb, but that's really the only thing that works. You have to train yourself to move fast if you don't do it currently. Actual drills are what have been said - tall snatches are great, high-hang and mid-hang snatches, and 3-position snatches (working floor to hang) will all work really well.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
sarena kopciel

I saw my coaches working with a lifter the other day. They each held one side of the bar at her rack position and all the "lifter" had to do was spin the bar and drop under! She really got speed and didnt dive "bomb under"....

Could you find 2 ppl to help you?
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
Emily Mattes

One of my coaches showed me a similar exercise using a squat rack. Instead of two people holding the bar, bring the rails on the rack up to about chest-level and load the bar heavy. Then pull yourself under the bar and push it up as you would during the third pull. Lower the rails further and further below chest level to get used to the feeling of getting under the bar at lower heights.

Also, the more the bar rolls along the rails, the more you know you are pulling the bar backwards or forwards rather than just flipping under it.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
michael cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Keep it light actually and the key with getting faster is.... making yourself move faster. I know it sounds dumb, but that's really the only thing that works. You have to train yourself to move fast if you don't do it currently. Actual drills are what have been said - tall snatches are great, high-hang and mid-hang snatches, and 3-position snatches (working floor to hang) will all work really well.

I've found triples in the hang from about knee height to be particularly effective -- I know Gary Valentine swears by them, too.

mpc
michael cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #15
Mark Konen

All that will help me improve speed, I just wish I had more fast twitch!
Mark Konen is offline   Reply With Quote