Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
This would be another reason why it would help gain weight. Why would some protien have a greater IS response, and is there a difference between whey and casein?
Couldn't tell if you were asking a question or not.

But whey absorbs faster than casein if that's what you're asking. Most BBers use casein right before sleep for slow release of amino acids.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Liam Dougherty Springer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Couldn't tell if you were asking a question or not.

But whey absorbs faster than casein if that's what you're asking. Most BBers use casein right before sleep for slow release of amino acids.
Sorry I wrote that in a confusing manner, I was wondering if the insulin response between Whey and Casein was different and why would the insulin response be different between one protein source and another?

Oh and I just thought of something is there a difference in glucagon response to the sources? That could effect the "zone" axis among other things.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
Fenthis Glusos
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 70
Default

simple: DON'T CUT OUT DAIRY...I've seen myself go from lean to leaner by incorporating dairy back into my diet. This is most likely why that whole ice cream thing is working out for those guys, dairy has some sort of effect at the cellular level on fat metabolism.

I just drink milk and eat plain yogurt/cheese.
Fenthis Glusos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
Sorry I wrote that in a confusing manner, I was wondering if the insulin response between Whey and Casein was different and why would the insulin response be different between one protein source and another?

Oh and I just thought of something is there a difference in glucagon response to the sources? That could effect the "zone" axis among other things.
As I said though one absorbs slower than the other.. which makes their response on insulin different. If something is being absorbed slower it's going to have a different effect.

For example, it's like taking 100g of sugar and throwing it into your bloodstream all at once vs. only 10g/hour.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenthis Glusos View Post
simple: DON'T CUT OUT DAIRY...I've seen myself go from lean to leaner by incorporating dairy back into my diet. This is most likely why that whole ice cream thing is working out for those guys, dairy has some sort of effect at the cellular level on fat metabolism.

I just drink milk and eat plain yogurt/cheese.
That's great it works for you. Really depends on the person though... which is why most of us are experimenting with our diets a lot.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.