Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 07-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Liam Dougherty Springer

Thumbs up Low Back Rehab

Well It has been over two weeks since the strain and I have been dedicated to recovery.

On the 5th day I started the GM/DL rehab
Graduated to the Back Squat rehab suggested by Coach Rip after one week of the broom stick GM/DL
I am noticing some unexpected bennifits. My squat and DL for has improved drasticly (also due to reading SS). I can actualy feel my hamstring/ adducter contraction for the first time. I am sure this lack of neuro-muscular intellegence is a large part of the reason I hurt myself in the first place.

I am looking forward to seeing how this improves my strength training once I am able to do heavier lifts in a few weeks. Till then I will be chuggin away.

I have done a couple sets of ten pull ups just to feel it and I can tell I am not yet ready to put much into a work out. Once I am does anyone have any suggestions as to how to regain some of the strength I may have lost without geting into any high intensity training.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

High reps.. low weight. Endurance/conditioning work basically. Stop if anything feels slightly odd.

What exactly can you do without bothering your back?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Stop if anything feels slightly odd.

What exactly can you do without bothering your back?
Thats what I figured. I can't really do anything without it feeling "slightly odd). Thanks though I needed to be told that I wasn't being overly cautious I will feel it out carefully and let you know.

Today I will be finishing my rehab with a set of 25 Back Squats at 95# which is verging on a real workout so I hope I am not to far out (a week?) from a solid feeling when doing pullups and Push ups and sit ups and Hip extentions.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Liam Dougherty Springer

It has been 3 weeks since the injury and I am feeling much better not yet 100%. I have been following the suggested Rehab programs and yesterday did 3x25 back squat at 95 105 115. I feel stronger in my squats than before the injury and feel pretty good about my prosterior chain strength.

Why am I still a bit sore is that just the healing process?

I am not rushing but have been testing the way some other exercises feel and I believe I am ready for some sort of recovery training. Any suggestions?

I can do 20 pullups 20 push ups 15 HSPU, 15 Hip extentions and jumprope all without feeling I am compromising my back. I wonder what I could do for Hip flexors and lower abdominal wok to balance out the prosterior work I am doing? Knees to elbows and GHS sit ups sound intimidating.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sore is fairly normal. YOu haven't been able to work it that much/heavy so it's going to take some adapting again..

As for abs and hip flexors... L-sits, V-ups, any other variation of situps, etc. Doesn't really matter too much to be honest.. it's very hard to get a posterior chain imbalance that's going to mess you up. For example, never heard of anything getting injured with a huge back compared to chest, but of course it works vice versa.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Liam Dougherty Springer
This message has been deleted by Liam Dougherty Springer. Reason: messed up quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Liam Dougherty Springer

Good info Steve and what is a V-up?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
Good info Steve and what is a V-up?
Just FYI whenever I reference something it should be easily google-able (image or first couple links). Otherwise, I will provide one.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Rect...nis/WtVUp.html
Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #8
Liam Dougherty Springer

Well I has been like 7 or 8 weeks and I am pretty much back to full capcity. I am a bit timid to push myself if an exercise is focused on the posterior chain and am paying alot more attention to form.

I am really posting to thank everyone who responded to my posts the support and direction were a huge factor in my recovery and will help me to keep from hurting myself in the future.. All together the experence was humbling and educational and I can be thankfull the injury was not more severe.

Thanx all

Liam
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Ben Blosch

I'd like to thank you too Liam.

For the past 3 weeks I've been doing Rip's squat as rehab program because of your praise for it. Before that I had been trying this and that until it didn't hurt sitting at my desk - then push it too much and take 2 steps back.

As usual I'm seeing the best results with Rip's program and was doing 3x25 with 75 pounds yesterday pain free.

You're right, it's humbling and an education on patience.
Eventually, I sickened of people, myself included, who donít think enough of themselves to make something of themselves - people who did only what they had to do and never what they could have done. I learned from them the infected loneliness that comes at the end of every misspent day. I knew I could do better.
- Mark Twight Kiss or Kill: Confessions of a Serial Climber
Ben Blosch is offline   Reply With Quote