Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
Dave Van Skike

better yet...do deadlifts and explosive pulls.

this doesn't have to be complicated. anytime I'm worried about losing the groove in a lift I'll keep it in either a warm up or a back off set. for deadlifts here's what i've done. it's similar to the "progressive pull" thing you've heard of.

work up to a heavy double or triple in

power snatch,
powerclean
snatch or clean hi pull.

(i don't compete in or care about the full lifts, so you'll be different here)

then...

a couple back off set of fast deadlifts, doubles to keep you honest but never more than 70%. (more like 50-65% is my sweet spot) this should be FAST & eazzzy. just to keep your brain in the deadlift genre but not to drive some big muscular adaptation.

if it's a big day. I'll finish with a quick little circuit of assist moves, 2-3 sets of barbell or DB rows/fast "lite" shrugs/ghr and grip work.

the deads aren't taxing, in some, ways they are like a heavy pull without a knee rebend and without a shrug, done at the end they won't screw your mechanics up too bad (if you believe in that sort of thing). you won't lose your dead and you might even get better.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
Dave Maerk

From Jan to Jun I did an Oly lift routine (after a year of SS). My DL 5RM dropped from 315 to 285, although my squat stayed the same.
Dave Maerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:44 AM   #13
Paul McKirdy

"The best way to train the deadlift is to not train the deadlift."

Everything core and POS Chain will actually assist\increase deadlift pulling. My recent PR came after over a month of not doing deadlift, but rather changing focus to box squats, good mornings, sled pulling GPP training, heavy standing abdominal work and as many pullups as I have reasonably been able to squeeze in.

If you are progressing in exercises like the power clean and pullups, you actually should gain DL and the very least maintain. Instantaneous force numbers for time * velocity * weight will actually be higher than static effort deadlifts for much less bar weight because of the highly increased velocity.
Paul McKirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Agreed. I know Rip puts the power cleans after the squats in his workout well mainly cause his workout is after mass gain and not good skilled work with oly (and it is power cleans which are somewhat less technical anyway).
Sorry re-reading this several months later.

That's the principle for novices: Focus on the squat, recover through the bench or the press, hit the powercleans. The novice will have low numbers/shitty technique so fatigue isn't such a factor.

As you advance then cleans and snatches go first and form/technique is a primary concern. Again recover through the pressing movements and squat last. I was reading PP the other day for another reason and this stuck in my mind.

The idea of squatting or deadlifting last is pretty repellant to me though. Want to get the tough stuff out of the way. I prefer:

Powerclean
Squat
Bench
Weighted chin

or

Squat
Deadlift
Press
Pullup

Maybe not the best but suits me. What I notice the most is even with 1x5 of deads how shot my pullups can be afterwards.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
Anthony Bainbridge

Maybe I'm biased towards the deadlift, but what type of goals would not benefit from a heavier deadlift?

Personally I think all men should be able to deadlift +300. Unless you are injured. And by injured I mean you are missing an arm or a leg.

If I could only make one change to your suggested program, it would be to drop FS and add deadlifts. Use your back squat day to rotate through variations of your squats if necessary.
Anthony Bainbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
Leo Soubbotine

Glad to see you on these board Anthony!
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #17
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
Maybe I'm biased towards the deadlift, but what type of goals would not benefit from a heavier deadlift?
chilli cook off champion, closing Captain of Crush number 3, triple bodyweight one legged seated calf raise, swimming the english channel...........
Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
chilli cook off champion, closing Captain of Crush number 3, triple bodyweight one legged seated calf raise, swimming the english channel...........
All of these goals are aided by heavy deadlifting...
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #19
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
All of these goals are aided by heavy deadlifting...
you're doing it wrong.