Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
John Kaupp

Default Squat thoughts

So I have been back squatting everyday for the past two weeks(see training log for weights and sets). Squats are definitely something I need to practice often. Anyways some observations so far:

Rest times: for me, I find that less rest time is better. around a minute. I don't know why this is. I have done escalating density type training and russian bear type training with my squats and I find that I stay more focused when there is a certain amount of rest time(1min, 45sec, etc). The longer the rest the more lethargic I feel going into it.

Staying tight: I find that if I keep my upper body tight and pull down with my hip flexors while staying somewhat relaxed with my lower body I am able to get better depth and a little bounce out of the hole which contributes to better speed on the way up. If I try and tighten everything up before I go, the lift is slow, coming out of the hole is a struggle and form goes to crap on the way up.

Pushing the hips back: Really helps the knees out. I can tell if I was just dropping down on the squats or pushing back out of the start .

All in all my squat seems to be in between a high bar squat as far as where the bar sits and a low bar squat with the pushing back of the hips and my back angle in the bottom. Let me know what you think.
John Kaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Jeremy Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kaupp View Post
All in all my squat seems to be in between a high bar squat as far as where the bar sits and a low bar squat with the pushing back of the hips and my back angle in the bottom. Let me know what you think.
Seems fine if you're specifically wanting to strengthen the lower back. Otherwise, it seems to be the worst combination as far as squatting goes.
Jeremy Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

whatever works. just depends on your leverages. I use a relatively high bar upright stance but feet slighly wider than shoulder width and it works for me. pushing hips back is not a style...that's how to squat.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
John Kaupp

So this four weeks of squatting thing is going okay. Noticed this last week that I was getting back into the habit of letting my back angle drop on the descent(because I can handle more weight that way). So yesterday and today were really focused on staying upright. Bringing my hands in force me to keep the bar higher on the traps and not let it slide down. Did 9 sets of 2 and hit 2 of the sets really well where it felt like an empty bar on my back. Some of the sets at 225 felt as heavy as 265 and the one good set at 265 felt like 135, good rebound in the bottom, speed on the way up. Anybody else have issues with their squat groove and finding it consistently? If so, what approach do you take to trying to hit it consistently or finding it once again?
John Kaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Dave Van Skike

sounds like you're having a hard time with your squat groove because you're trying to change it. if you are a natural back squatter (low bar, low back angle) then squat that way. getting below parallel and adding weight to the bar are the main things. unless you're a powerlifter, back squats are an assist excercise, albeit an assist. excercise for life in general but still, it's hard to fault a form that let's you move heavy loads and hit depth.

also, you're doing lot's of single I see, that helps some people find a perfect groove, sets of 5, 8 and even 10 seem to do it for me..

I did a month of density stuff about a year ago now that really honed my particular groove, I still need to think about every rep but the basics are automatic.