Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Sebastian Milla

Default The Age Old Question

Hey guys, I'v been on the original mass gain program for about six weeks now and im just about to go into my third week of the strength mesocycle. Here's my question, I don't seem to be gaining all that much mass. I Started the program at 164 and now I m 166 but i feel that that is mostly fat. During my first hypertrophy mesocycle I was in Peru so pwo was a little iffy, as in no carb load after my workouts so i started doing 10 blocks of carbs 5 blocks of protein after my strength workouts. I am progressing steadily with the weight but I'm not seeing a lot of muscle mass. Am I just impatient or should I supplement? I'm 17 so I think I could handle it recovery wise seeing as I get at least eight hours of sleep a night. Thanks.
Sebastian Milla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What are your lift numbers? BF%? What are you eating specifically? Need more information on everything.

If you're a novice you should probably do Starting Strength...
Old 09-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Sebastian Milla

definitely not a novice. already tried starting strength and progressed jack squat. been doing crossfit before starting this. starting strength seems to be more for complete newbs who have never entered a gym. before i picked up SS i'd been gymming for a year.

Let's see, these are my current numbers:

Squat: 135
C & J: 115
Front Squat: 125
Snatch: 80
Press:80

I don't know my deadlift or bench because I haven't checked them in a while, let's just say that they are 150 and 105 respectively.

My body fat must be around 12-15 % because i can still fit into my jeans. I am currently zone-paleo at 20 blocks 5X fat as prescribed by Robb's "Skinning the Zone" Article.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Up the weight more aggressively (with good form if possible) and eat a bit more.

Make sure you're getting enough sleep + eliminate stress from your life.

That's what I can generally tell you for now I guess.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Sebastian Milla

alright. up to 21 blocks? i feel like that will help going into the hypertrophy meso again. what about pwo? is 5 blocks pro 10 blocks cho overkill or undereating?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Milla View Post
alright. up to 21 blocks? i feel like that will help going into the hypertrophy meso again. what about pwo? is 5 blocks pro 10 blocks cho overkill or undereating?
If you have any doubt, you are undereating. If you feel like eating has become a chore, like you eat until full, then eat again, and if you feel like you see the result of your eating every day in the toilet, you may be eating enough.

Most likely, if you have only gained 2 lbs in 3 weeks of mass gain, you aren't eating enough.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Milla View Post
Hey guys, I'v been on the original mass gain program for about six weeks now and im just about to go into my third week of the strength mesocycle. Here's my question, I don't seem to be gaining all that much mass. I Started the program at 164 and now I m 166 but i feel that that is mostly fat. During my first hypertrophy mesocycle I was in Peru so pwo was a little iffy, as in no carb load after my workouts so i started doing 10 blocks of carbs 5 blocks of protein after my strength workouts. I am progressing steadily with the weight but I'm not seeing a lot of muscle mass. Am I just impatient or should I supplement? I'm 17 so I think I could handle it recovery wise seeing as I get at least eight hours of sleep a night. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Milla
Squat: 135
C & J: 115
Front Squat: 125
Snatch: 80
Press:80
So, you honestly believe that as a 165-ish pound male squatting 135 lbs, that you're not a novice level lifter? I don't buy it. You're not doing something right, sleep, eating, drinking the GOMAD, something. Fix it and do SS again, with the milk.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Derek Weaver

Didn't Rip say something to the effect that something like SS will work for everyone, just not for long.

"Gymming for a year" isn't exactly the qualification for not being a novice lifter.

Buy the book, eat more and do the program.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Ben Moskowitz

If those are kg's he's probably not a novice.
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
If those are kg's he's probably not a novice.
Good catch
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote