Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #101
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Where in your knee is it hurting? Done any SMR for the surrounding areas?
Im gonna stop short of saying pain but it is definately discomfort and there is lots of pressure in the area.

The discomfort is generally around the patella, the upper and lower area but not on the actual knee itself. Not sure if that would be the vastus medialis or not but it's in that area.

The discomfort actually starts at the hip flexor or abductor as im squating to just before parallell and after a few reps I can feel pressure begin to develop down the quads into the knee area.

I've been doing quad and hip flexor stretches and hamstring stretches. I have not done any SMR work as I don't have a foam roller and im not to familar with it but I have been reading into it the past few days.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #102
Allen Yeh

A foam roller isn't needed, softball/tennis ball or something like that will work as well. Roll you're entire lower body from your glutes, quads, adductors, abductors, IT bands (that will hurt), calves....etc

I'm not sure where you are at but I saw some foam rollers in Target the other day if it's a matter of accessibility.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #103
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
A foam roller isn't needed, softball/tennis ball or something like that will work as well. Roll you're entire lower body from your glutes, quads, adductors, abductors, IT bands (that will hurt), calves....etc

I'm not sure where you are at but I saw some foam rollers in Target the other day if it's a matter of accessibility.

I went ahead and picked up one at target

9/17

Squat

240 x 5 x 3 unfortunately my knee started hurting during the warm-up sets with just the bar and I had to take about 10- 15 min between sets to rest

Bench

150 x 5 x 3 I actually knocked out 10 reps on the last set out of boredom

Deadlift

275 x 5 x 1 This was tough and I was surprised my form did not break apart, im pretty sure I wont be able to make another 10lbs jump

All in all it was a tough workout for the squat portion but my knee was feeling a lot better for the deadlifts at the end.

All this knee pain is making me want to cut down on back squats for next week so I may start throwing in front squats on the middle day. Once my lifts stall I don't plan on doing a true reset per SS but rather a higher volume program given to me by my coach. This is to allow more focus on overhead strength, snatch, cleans, jerks, etc.

Also not sure how much longer I want to keep up with caloric excess, this milk is getting expensive. I kind of want to lean out and wait to do another mass gain cycle some other time.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #104
Kevin Perry

9/18

Weight: AM 151 PM 154

Stretching, lots of it. Focus on the Quads, Hip flexors, hamstrings mostly.

Working on SMR today also.

Im going to clean up my diet a bit. Im dropping the milk and focusig on getting more clean foods in and more protein. I just want to continue my focus on building strength and getting my flexibility up as well as leaning down a little.

Next week im moving front squats in to wednesdays, and power cleans to mondays and fridays.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #105
Kevin Perry

9/19

Squat

245 x 5 x 3 This felt about the same as last workout but my knee pain was not bad this time nor was the tightness in my hip, still hurt though.

Press

125 x 5 x 3 This was tough but it was really the last rep on each set that almost got me

I got a few warmup sets on the power cleans but I was low on time so I could not get to the work sets. Squats are getting tough, not sure when they will still but if my nutrition stays in line which it has not been then maybe it was stretch a little longer.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #106
Kevin Perry

Well today sucks,

I have no time for my workout, been busy all day and my weight has dropped to 148lbs because my nutrition has not been up to par. Bah
Old 09-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #107
Kevin Perry

9/23

Squat

250 x 5 x 3/2/F Um, it was rell heavy today. My knee did'nt really bother me despite the weight either.

Bench

155 x 5 x 3 This felt pretty heavy throughout as well.

Ring Dips

14, 11 Pulled into a muscle up which felt pretty good.

Overall rough day, really tiring. My rest times are having to take a while as well, 5 - 10 minutes is what I need before I can do the next set. Pretty sure this week is it for me, I want to get more variation in, so im going to see how the rest of the week goes but I will probably do a CFT next week and look about trying something new.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #108
Kevin Perry

Was going to lift today but lack of sleep from last night and a not so good upper body workout at class today left me in a lot of discomfort in my arms today.

We did nothing but incline, and decline DB bench press, stability ball DB press, standing cable chest press, machine chest press, bench press, pushups, dips, etc.

And of course I got nagged at for not performing the eccentric and concentric portions of the lifts with proper slow controlled patterns to recruit all muscle fibers and neuromuscular connection etc...

Only one more semester of this crap and hopefully im back in the Marines or Army because im impatient as hell with it. It's all good though.

Tomorrow I change things up. Took Gants hybrid program and shot a few emails with Brian D and got some excellent advice. Gonna start radomizing my training tomorrow for more overall enjoyment
Old 09-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #109
Kevin Perry

9/26 Stats: 150lbs 5'5'' ( or 5'4-4.5'' somethin round there)

CFWU x 2 rounds ( OHS done with 20kg bar, skipped samson stretch)

Tuck Planche 1 x 18, 20 , 22 (worked up to 60 sec)

Support Hold 1 x 30, 30 (worked up to 60 sec)

P-SN 60# x 3, 75#x 3, 40kg x 2, 100# x 2, 50kg F

BS: 185 x 10, 195 x 10, 205 x 10, 210 x 10

P: 85 x 10, 95 x 10, 105 x 10, 110 x 5

I did'nt get to the CF Wod today.

My power lifts are definately my weak area... I really need to focus on those but im sure it won't be easy. Squats felt very strong. It may be too much volume but im going of some help from Brian D and if it does end up being to much i'll simply drop to 1 - 5 reps.

Took an hour nap before the WOD and i've been doing a fairly good job eating more protein and keeping sugar out. Trying to keep it simple.

Overall really enjoyed today's workout. Felt good to do some dfferent stuff. Im eyeing 225 x 20 rep squats in the future for the hell of it....
Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #110
Kevin Perry

9/27

Just messed around with some bodyweight stuff today and some KB swings

5 min of KB Swings
OHS 1 x 12 (bar)
Situps 1 x 12
Ring Dips 2 x 12
L-Pullups 2 x 6
Pullups 2 x 10
15 Burpees
Hanging Leg Raises 3 x 12

Messed around on the rings with support holds and the pullup bar.