Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
George Mounce

All my meat is now pretty much smoked for 4-8 hours. Tonight is a whole smoked chicken!
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
I've been to the MOM you describe...it is kinda like trader joes, but it's expensive. I'm not sure what the closest TJs is to you, there is one in rockville and maybe one in columbia.
Expensive like Whole Foods, or somewhere in between that and TJ's?

Quote:
Do you work out at the UMD gym?
Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday I'm in the HHP (Health & Human Performance Center) Gymkana room for about an hour in the 5-7PM range; on Wednesdays, I'm there for about 2 hours in the 7-10PM range. On Tuesdays an Thursdays, I'm in the HHP weight room for the other hour in the 5-7 range, and there again from 2-4 on Saturdays. Thursday evenings, I'm working (not working out) in the HHP weight room from 7:30-10PM. Friday morning, I'm in the ERC (Eppley Rec. Center) upper weight room for 5:45-9AM, which I follow up with a shift from 9-11AM in the ERC fitness center (ie. the cardio room).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
Obviously our ideas of simple are not the same. By "simple", I mean using using high quality food and seasonings in the most efficient way possible. When I used the word "tuna" what I actually ate was sashimi grade with Japanese wasabi. Oh well, I tried.
Ah, yeah, that's a step above my "simple," but the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Reeves View Post
The meal plan may be expensive, but can't you also eat as much as you want? I.E. - Sneak in tupperware and use it to stock your dorm fridge with stuff?
No, that's the killer! Everything is a la carte! An apple costs a dollar! An orange too! For salad (which has a large variety of options) they charge $5 per pound. A quarter chicken costs $7 with a side of veggies, and I can easily eat four quarters. A 3oz burger will cost about $2.50, and I don't even eat the bun. Fortunately, because of my sensitivity to gluten and casein (a side effect of eating Paleo for so long, I think, but I don't care), I'm able to request that they cook something up for me which is grain and dairy free. For example, a few days ago they were making some sort of tuna balls, and I was able to get three unadulterated tuna fillets. However, those meals cost about $4 per 5oz piece of meat.

I tried to get out of the meal plan entirely, but they wouldn't let me. They gave me the meal requesting option, which was nice, but I much would have preferred a refund.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
Kris Reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
No, that's the killer! Everything is a la carte! An apple costs a dollar! An orange too! For salad (which has a large variety of options) they charge $5 per pound. A quarter chicken costs $7 with a side of veggies, and I can easily eat four quarters. A 3oz burger will cost about $2.50, and I don't even eat the bun. Fortunately, because of my sensitivity to gluten and casein (a side effect of eating Paleo for so long, I think, but I don't care), I'm able to request that they cook something up for me which is grain and dairy free. For example, a few days ago they were making some sort of tuna balls, and I was able to get three unadulterated tuna fillets. However, those meals cost about $4 per 5oz piece of meat.

I tried to get out of the meal plan entirely, but they wouldn't let me. They gave me the meal requesting option, which was nice, but I much would have preferred a refund.
That sucks man!

Well, another option I just thought of...you could get the cheapest membership to Costco ($50) and buy in bulk. Go to the one in Beltsville right off of Route 1...assuming you have a car to get back and forth (and if you do...while you're there fill-up 'cause their gas is the cheapest in the area!). Maybe your roomate would go halfsies with you on the membership (since you can put 2 people on one account) and it would only be like $25?

The only flaw I see with Costco though...is you need a fridge bigger than dorm size to store stuff.....plus a good way to cook (um...buy a hibachi grill???)

Hmmm.....I don't know...I need to think some more about this.
Kris Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
Patrick Donnelly

Re: Kris
Once I'm in an apartment, Costco would be awesome. At the moment though, I've got the following problems:
- monthly membership
- 3.5 miles away on a bike
- carrying the stuff back on a bike
- storing the stuff in my dorm
- still have to spend the money from my meal plan

But later on, I could definitely go for Costco stuff.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
Grissim Connery

So i am a junior in college, and i do live in an apartment now, and i feel like i went through most of the same bullshit as you.

i feel that my favorite tool that i use is the slow cooker. if you're IFing, it's perfect. i set it on in the morning, and break my fast with an incredibly delicious meal several hours later. i feel like it's hard to not make something taste good in the slow cooker because all the flavors meld so well.

now more importantly, you're in the dorm, so you dont' have to worry about energy costs with the slow cooker. you can just use it as much as you want. the one possible issue is whether or not they will allow you to use the slow cooker in your dorm room. if you're cool with everybody on your floor, you could try to use it in the kitchen. chances are though, you don't wanna risk people messin with your food. i'd say that you should try to become well aquainted with your RA. don't tell him or her that you have the device, but if they find out, you may be able to get away with it.

i steam my sweet potatoes a lot. it takes like no time to make them this way. just get a steam basket and plop it in your pot. this way you don't have to worry about washing out many water soluble vitamins/minerals.

hard boiled eggs are a must. i normally boil 3 dozen at a time. this way you always have an available protein source, even when your class schedule sucks.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Patrick Donnelly

I went and fried up 4lbs of beef heart and 1lb of liver yesterday, mixed together. The spices were simple, just using an onion, some seasoned salt, and pepper. Good stuff. I'm not sure if I'll go for the liver again (funny texture), but the heart is definitely nice. The thing was near perfectly lean too.

Re: Grissim
Slow cookers aren't allowed in the dorm rooms. I could possibly do it in the floor lounge, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble just yet. There's also the kitchen in the basement, but then it'd be open for anyone to walk past and mess with. Is it likely that someone would? No, but I wouldn't want to risk it.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #17
George Mounce

Back on this, we bake sweet potatoes for about 50 min at 390. I've never had them boiled, and that way sounds disgusting to me. Baked is the only way I'd eat them.

Just because something isn't allowed, doesn't mean everyone doesn't have one. Bend the rules when you can, I'm going to guess that in most dorms large quantities of alcohol and pot aren't allowed either but they are rampantly in use on campuses everywhere without anyone doing anything about it.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Just because something isn't allowed, doesn't mean everyone doesn't have one. Bend the rules when you can, I'm going to guess that in most dorms large quantities of alcohol and pot aren't allowed either but they are rampantly in use on campuses everywhere without anyone doing anything about it.
I'm really not all that desperate for a slow cooker at the moment, so I don't mind.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #19
Philip Stablein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Re: Kris
Once I'm in an apartment, Costco would be awesome. At the moment though, I've got the following problems:
- monthly membership
- 3.5 miles away on a bike
- carrying the stuff back on a bike
- storing the stuff in my dorm
- still have to spend the money from my meal plan

But later on, I could definitely go for Costco stuff.
If you can survive til Feb, we can probably do a weekly Costco run. As a grad student I need to eat cheap too.

Until then, check out what you can use meal plan money on at the convenience store in Cambridge community. Also, the South Campus dining hall has some better food options, sometimes.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #20
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Stablein View Post
If you can survive til Feb, we can probably do a weekly Costco run. As a grad student I need to eat cheap too.
That'd be cool.

Quote:
Until then, check out what you can use meal plan money on at the convenience store in Cambridge community. Also, the South Campus dining hall has some better food options, sometimes.
Unfortunately, no. There's the "Resident Points" of which I had some $1150 (down to $850 now), which can only be used at the diners. Every two or three weeks, they'll put a cap on everyone's maximum Resident Points number, and throw away the surplus. The next cap is $750 on October 10th (I've been eating from Shopper's lately). Then there are the "Terp Bucks," which can be used at the convenience stores. I've pretty much bought nothing but Jack Link's beef steaks with that money. Resident Points aren't usable at the convenience stores.