Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Default Do I need the snatch?

I've been following the Performance Menu workout for a couple of months now and so far it's working fantastic for me. I'm definitely stronger than I've ever been in every lift. However, I am not an olympic lifter. I like them and I like using them because I think they have benefits that apply far beyond those specific lifts, but I'm just doing it for general strength purposes, not for lifting competitions. Today was max day for me (I'm a few weeks behind) and my snatch suffered ALOT just from technical problems. I just got bumper plates today so until now I've been doing all power cleans and power snatches because they require a lot less balance for me and I've been afraid to drop iron weight in my garage. My confidence in getting under a really low clean didn't suffer that much, but my confidence on the snatch was pretty much gone. I was dropping stuff all over the place in the bottom. So I guess my question is, is it worth while for me to stick with it and continue to work on getting confident in that really low snatch position. Or, being someone who's just looking for more strength and power, does the clean cover all the bases I need? Or what if I just stuck with power snatches? Is there something that a full snatch offers that these other movements do not? If I didn't need them what should I replace them with in the workouts?

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not just someone who got frustrated with snatches today and wants to give them up wholesale. I just want to make sure that if I'm going to be doing them they have carryover into other areas for someone who is never going to compete and aren't just something technical that only o-lifters need to worry about.

Thank you very much for your time and any thoughts. And thank you Performance Menu for the amazing program.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

I think they're entirely worth it. Cleans/power cleans are great, bu can't match the speed and power requirements of the snatch - consider the difference in the distances the bar and body have to travel in each. Stick with it, try to find a coach, and no doubt it'll be worth the time and effort.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
George Mounce

I approve of the title for this thread.

In other thoughts, at the CF cert I went to, Tony Budding was a huge proponent of the statement "if there was one exercise you should do, its the snatch" and I completely agree with him.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Okay I'm sold. Thanks guys
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
I think they're entirely worth it. Cleans/power cleans are great, bu can't match the speed and power requirements of the snatch - consider the difference in the distances the bar and body have to travel in each. Stick with it, try to find a coach, and no doubt it'll be worth the time and effort.
Well, not only speed and power I'd say it requires a bit more body awareness, balance, agility or whatever how many 10 components of fitness you can slap in there...

We can all use more snatch...
Old 09-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Blair Lowe

Thumbs up

Doing snatch balances will make you brave and get you over the fear of getting under the bar.

Kudos to the thread title and Steven.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #7
Sam Cannons

I was thinking the same thing a few months back, i dont have bumpers and dont really see my self getting any until about this time next year (bumpers in australia are not really affordable), and really the only sport i train for is submission wrestling, but i recently made some significant gains out of no wear with the snatch and i have noticed a carry over now that its starting to get heavier.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #8
Dean Saunders

Hey, a fellow North Qlder.. Snatch balance sux, snatch squats suck more, snatch pulls are just plain horrible (but I like 'em) but all of them are necessary to snatch.
Snatch is fun, nuff said.

Given the cost of air fares to brissie, it might be worth making a trip south to visit the people at Cougars, or Honey badgers, theres a few clubs in and around Brisbane and sunshine coast with tons of people
that can help u
Dean Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Aaron Gainer

The snatch will strengthen the shoulders isometrically and is great for overall flexibility. Whether your just using it for lighter loads, it will still have some carryover into your clean and jerks.

NSCA C.S.C.S
Aaron Gainer is offline   Reply With Quote