Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Emery View Post
Yea, no Crossfit for me during this phase. I'll keep some sort of minimal conditioning by grappling, but thats it. And even with the grappling i will have to monitor it so i dont train to much.

Crossfit for me has always been a means to better S & C for grappling, not an end unto itself. So i have never been a CF main page WOD'er. I am awed by alot of those CF athletes, but those are not my goals.

Anton
Best thing you can do besides lift heavy and eat.....is buy an XBox....then you will put on mass.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 AM   #12
Allen Yeh

Krispy Kreme gift cards for Christmas...
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
Anton Emery

Mmmm, Krispy Kreme. We don't have that here in Portland, though i am quite familiar with them from growing up in Florida. Out here the local place is Voodoo Doughnuts. They actually have a bacon topped doughnut, i dont suppose that counts as paleo?

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Shoot for strong and the size will take care of itself in most cases..as long as you eat.

I see you're settled on the Starting Strength template, which is great. I'd say take a look at Westside for Skinny Bastards (free download somewhere out there) as well. There are numerous other templates for basic strength building. Frankly, anyhting from Keys to Progress to a bunch of boring ass Sheiko programs will work too if you eat enough. SS will work but won't work forever, once you get to intermediate level stuff you'll want to tweak it. Teh Texas Method from Practical Programming worked great for me for a good long stretch, then I had to tweak it.

I see you do Crossfit...you might want to revise that..(my suggestion is Forever..but that's just me.) grappling and endurance training (crossfit) are not your friends if you want to prioritize big(er) and strong. For someone at 170-180, I'd say a bench mark of 1,2,3 is a legit achievable goal for 6-8 months. press BW, squat 2 times BW, deadlift 3 times BW. the DL is kinda ambitious but failure to meet a goal is a very illuminating process.
Dave,
Is this the Westside for Skinny Bastards you were talking about http://www.defrancostraining.com/art..._westside.htm? By Joe Defranco?

Just curious as I haven't found any downloads but did find this one from his website and also one from T-Mag with a bit more information here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...kinny_bastards.

Looks good for someone with Training ADD (I am guilty of this... usually indicates I need a back off week)...

That's really the only contribution I can make to this thread.

Last edited by Derek Weaver : 09-23-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: forgot a link
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
Dave Van Skike

Yeah that's it. I think he did a WSFSB II and III. It's basically a distilation of some of the core parts of a "westside" format. I know everyone say's "westside" and has a picture in their head, but like any "system" it's always changing and adapting so I don't think anyone except those at Westside really have a clear picture of how it works. I am by no means any sort of a student of their methods but I do see some intuitively good ideas in WSFSB even for beginners such as:

Spend the bulk of your training time and effort targeting weaknesses rather than just plowing through.

Rotate Max effort excercises and accessory excercise so you can train at high percentages (good) without burning out (bad)

Devote certain training days moving submax weight quickly or for repetitions.

Do not be afraid of upper and lower body splits. at a certain point, it's more productive to split the time up to targeting weaknesses for different movemtns in different workouts with minimal overlap. pressing movements get a day, sqautting and pulling movements get a day. It's all good stuff.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Derek Weaver

Good call. Upper-Lower splits are used in a lot of other templates with, I would assume, success. I think that one of Staley's A-B templates involves an upper-lower split now that I think about it... could be wrong though.

Not a huge fan of some of the accessory movements that he's included though. I personally have a worse injury history in the form of raging tendonitis with some of the isolation/accessory movements he noted than with the heavy compounds that form the meat of the approach.

Anyone interested can find parts II and III at defrancostraining.com under the articles heading.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #17
Anton Emery

Well week 1 of Starting Strength is done. Squat started at 185 and is now at 205. I started the press pretty light at 85lbs, and jumped up to 95lbs. I will probably make five pound jumps on that from now on, i don't want to get stuck to early on. Bench started at 155. That was fun, i have not benched in a while.

I think i need to eat a bit less, i gained like eight pounds this week. Perhaps 3200 calories is a bit much, ill drop it down to 3000.

Anton
Old 09-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
Jon Sikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Emery View Post
Well week 1 of Starting Strength is done. Squat started at 185 and is now at 205. I started the press pretty light at 85lbs, and jumped up to 95lbs. I will probably make five pound jumps on that from now on, i don't want to get stuck to early on. Bench started at 155. That was fun, i have not benched in a while.

I think i need to eat a bit less, i gained like eight pounds this week. Perhaps 3200 calories is a bit much, ill drop it down to 3000.

Anton
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd bet that's mainly water weight and likely to go back down quick.

Unless you're really, really small (and I went back to your first post in this thread and saw that you're 5'10", so you're not) 3200 calories isn't that much over maintenance.

8 pounds would take some serious eating.
Jon Sikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
Derek Weaver

8 lbs. would be a GOMAD plus a substantial amount of food.

I'm guessing that you're barely over maintenance... if anything filling out to an "optimal" weight.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #20
Anton Emery

Man, maybe i should be eating more.

Here is a quote from Rippetoe on StrengthMill forum when members asked what he used to eat.

---------------

"Okay, you want to know what I ate. I have eaten a dozen eggs for breakfast before, but always ate 6 with toast and milk, and 5 bowls of raisin bran was quite normal until my members asked to stop doing that. I have eaten 11 10-oz. steaks at an all-you-can-eat steak deal -- several of us went there, and the special was discontinued the following week. I have eaten 4 very large plates of spaghetti and meat sauce in 30 minutes. I have eaten 15 pork chops + vegetables at the Olympic Training Center back when the food was really good. I have eaten 225 shrimp in an hour. At a seafood buffet in Michigan, I ate 10 lobsters and the claws off of 10 more, in addition to shrimp, crab legs, lobster bisque, clam chowder, and bread, in 2 hours. I have eaten 7 big bowls of Mongolian BBQ. I have had a gallon of milk in less than 30 minutes. I was very expensive to feed, but I am told by reputable sources that I was absolutely nothing compared to Phil Grippaldi."

And folks, for weight-gaining purposes, "eating clean" is not a useful concept. Big Macs are.
-----------------------------

Just a note to everyone else, if you have not drank milk for a few months don't go and try to drink half a gallon of whole milk in a day. That evening was not a pleasant one.

Anton