Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
John Kaupp

Default Stance and Feet movement

I have been noticing lately that I am a narrow squatter. Heels about shoulder (maybe less) width with toes turned out. Lately, I have been leaving my feet basically in the same position as my pull when catching the bar on snatch and cleans. Today I was working on staying upright in the start and my snatches felt great; good speed, easy turnover, easy lockout and standup.
A few things came together today like letting the traps hang loose so they can factor into the second pull. Foot movement was almost non-existent getting under the bar, and this felt faster than I have in a long time. Anybody else do this and do you do as well with heavy or near max weight. I was doing singles with 80 and my PR is 92.5. I feel strong in this position right now and stable as well.
John Kaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Your squat stance is determined by the relative lengths of your upper and lower legs and the anatomy of your hips and ankles. If you have long lower legs relative to your upper legs, the correct squatting stance for you may be quite narrow (although shoulder width or nearly so is not what I would consider narrow). So if that's the case, you'll see little difference between your pulling and receiving foot positions (most like the biggest difference will be greater external rotation of the feet in the receiving position).

You're right that quick feet is a good thing - just be careful that you're not getting lazy on the pull. That quickness and minimal elevation should be the product of timing the 3rd pull well and pulling under extremely aggressively, not reduced power in the 2nd pull.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Dave Ogilbee

I think I may be on the opposite side of the spectrum John. Lately i've been trying to work a lot on technique/positioning in the receiving position, more so in the snatch than anything. I've found that my feet tend to have a natural inclination to position in quite a wide stance (with toes out at about 40 degrees or so). Reminds me almost of a wide penguin walk . My OHS foot position isn't quite this obscure, so I'm fairly sure that this is something that needs correcting.
Greg, what would the best method for looking into fixing this? My guess would be foot drills with some Snatch Balance perhaps?

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

Dave -

Yes, return to the basic foot drills, then snatch balance, then tall snatch, then snatch - something like that. While doing all those, you can throw down a couple chalk lines along the outside edges of your feet in your correct stance to give you something to check against and to guide you.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Kris Reeves
This message has been deleted by Kris Reeves.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Kris Reeves

Greg -

Does this mean - in the case of correcting technical flaws - the full movement should not be performed until the drills are looking really good? Ie. Follow a progression like you listed above, not proceeding to the next until it is perfect? So, if that means several sessions (maybe, weeks?) the full lift may not be performed?

Or, are the foot drills, tall snatch, etc. performed in addition to the full lift (even though the lift may have some issues)?

I ask, because this thread prompted me to really take a look at my snatch receiving position and I noticed on heavy attempts (heavy for me anyway) that my left foot is about an inch behind my right foot. Width is fine, just that my feet are not equal.

This is not a problem on power snatches or OHS, but I do notice it on heavy snatch balances as well.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Kris -

No, keep snatching, just add the corrective drills in when you can.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Kris Reeves

OK. Cool...Thanks for the reply!
Kris Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Dave Ogilbee

Greg -

Thanks for the advice, I'll start working drills next session.
Off-topic: Your book came in the mail, looking through it answered a TON of questions. Definitely the best source i've found for working on Oly lifts.

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote