Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Jeff Yan

Default need push jerk help--not achieving full lockout

I posted this on another message board, so I apologize for anybody reading this twice, but I figured this was a perfect opportunity to get some input from this forum.

-----

Recently while doing a 5x5 push jerk workout, I found that at heavier weight, during the jerk part (diving under the bar) I'm only getting to about 90% lockout. Then I complete the lockout while I'm squatting back up and resetting my feet.

Is this indication that I need to develop my strength or refine my technique or both?

Should I simply be using a lighter weight for my work sets until I have the strength to get the full lockout? Or perhaps I already have the strength, but I'm missing something?

-----

Also, I experienced some mild elbow pain while doing push jerks, sort of like I had twisted or wrenched it. On the bar, I generally try to keep my hands about a thumb's spacing away from my thighs while the bar is hanging (feet shoulder width). I also try to be conscientious about keeping elbows forward of the bar while in the rack position.

Any pointers here?

Thanks!

Last edited by Jeff Yan : 10-01-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: wanted to add another thing
Jeff Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sounds possibly like poor shoulder flexibility and/or from scapula or thoracic area..

How's your overhead squat? And shoulder mobility/scapula/thoracic area?

As for the elbow is it just during the push jerks? Anything other it hurts on? What side? Near what bony landmarks? Etc.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Jeff Yan

My general flexibility isn't anything to write home about, but it's probably better than most.

As far as OHS, I've been able to do my WODs with unbroken sets (15 to 20+) at 95#.

Specifically, how would I gauge my shoulder, scapular, and thoracic flexibility?

-----

My elbow feels fine now, and I just did a workout with push jerks (at aboiut 80% the weight from the other day. I've never had this elbow thing occur before in any lift. Seems more like a one time mistake rather than a recurring form issue, but I'm not sure and I'd like to identify it if it means I can avoid it in the future.

Right side, not near anything bony.
Jeff Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Eh, do some band dislocates, make sure your scapular retractors can go all the way back, foam roll the thoracic spine, stretch your lats and chest, etc.

Hmm, if it's nothing bony for the elbow it might be nerve pain maybe because it's stretched too far? No tingling sensations?