Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Adam Gagliardi

Default Any Strongman Competitors here?

I know this is more of any OLY forum, just curoius

if so what does your training look like?
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Adam,
I'm NOT a strongman competitor. But I incorporate strongman events as part of my GPP training for my sport. Plus, I often train with two yahoos that competed in the 08 WSM - Brian Siders and Phil Pfister.

I know a lot of how Brian and Phil Train. Brian doesn't count as he's not from this planet. Dude benches three times a week and squats and deads twice a week. Phil is more human in regards to capacities, work load, and frequency. He's an enormous human being with an ungodly bone structure.

I incorporate stone and log lifting/carrying/pressing into my GPP. I also do axle clean and press for the ocassional "mix it up" with my olympic training.

I hate tire flipping. I've got a enormous bugger in my back yard that my wife "keeps on waiting" for me "to use."

I really like any time of farmers carry. I don't go overly heavy on these movements as I'm not a competitive strongman.

I also love Conan's wheel. Every time I get an opportunity to event train with Phil, I make a couple laps with that implement. It's excruciating in a good way.

Ask some more specific questions and I might be able to provide you with some insights.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Adam Gagliardi

Arden---that is awesome, i have read much about brian and phil...i have phil's DVD. you are quite lucky..i assume you are in WV then....no real ??'s just curious to see how others train or use SM lifts for other sports
Old 10-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Adam,

I started at the beginning of 2008, my template is really similar to folks I train with that range from "the laughing group" (that's me) to National contenders and former Nat Champs.

SM has a jillion ways to structure it, as a lower level guy I spend most of my time working the BB lifts that carry over and then, 8-10 weeks like most people, start getting really specific training on the implements and events that they'll be doing.

Here's a great article from a guy who kicked ass at Nat's in the lightweights, (<105Kilos)

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effe...an_routine.php
Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Adam Gagliardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Adam,

I started at the beginning of 2008, my template is really similar to folks I train with that range from "the laughing group" (that's me) to National contenders and former Nat Champs.

SM has a jillion ways to structure it, as a lower level guy I spend most of my time working the BB lifts that carry over and then, 8-10 weeks like most people, start getting really specific training on the implements and events that they'll be doing.

Here's a great article from a guy who kicked ass at Nat's in the lightweights, (<105Kilos)

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effe...an_routine.php

Dave---who do you train with? yes, it is a good article, I read that a little while ago, Tom is a very good guy (competed against him and his old crew(NJ)a few times,very good guys) and exceptionally strong....and I would say if you actually competed then your not a "laughing group" member
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Hey I didn't realize you competed....my response must seem pretty remedial.....
here's my actual split, tryign to get it sorted out still.

Press Day. Monday: ME presses

trying to fols in some partial range bench and seated presses. I'm super weak there. Rotate in push jerks with the log and axle. so this day looks like:

Bench or board press.
Overhead, Jerk or push press, seated press.
soem movign events like yoke, famrers or light tire for conditioning. .

Wed.

DE squats. roate between box and bottom up fronts.
Repetition Pulls. clean hi pulls or RDL.s. no events.

Thursday or Friday: DE press.

10 sets of 3, maybe add bands depending on recovery. BW pullups and some direct ab work.

Saturday.....ME Squat/Pull day..

Main Focus on squat adn deads. up to three top sets of whatever. Main thing is that I keep rotating the first lift, every other week and the secondary lift and pull every week. alternate betwwen DL and a pulling or loading event.

Looks like:

Like Box squats up to a top triple
Zerchers squats 3x5
Pulling type event for speed and technique, not a necessarily a top effort. axle deads, tire, or stones.
finsih off with lighter RDL's

I train in Seattle. Couple of folks at our spot are Andrew Palmer, Scott Hughes and Pete Markoff. Some guys from the Warehouse Crew show up, Grant Higa once in a blue moon.

Tom seems like a total beast, follow his log pretty intently at Marunde.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Adam Gagliardi

gotcha--- recognize some of the names from Jesse's board...good stuff
Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gagliardi View Post
Arden---that is awesome, i have read much about brian and phil...i have phil's DVD. you are quite lucky..i assume you are in WV then....no real ??'s just curious to see how others train or use SM lifts for other sports
Adam,
Yep, I'm in WV.

Dave sums it up greatly above.

Brian's training is unworldly. He normally Benches MWF and follows it up with assistance work. He squats and deads Tuesday and Saturday. Thursday is an active recovery day. If he's doing a strongman comp he fits the events in on Thursday and Sunday. yeah....insane, but he does it and the volume is unreal. The weights moved are unreal. I watched him, during the same week, do the following bench workouts - Monday, speed day 405 for 10 sets of 3. Wednesday close grip day - 545x3x3. Friday, regular bench day 585x3x5. All raw. Then on Thursday and Sunday he was axle clean and pressing 325lb for 90 seconds for two to three sets.

Phil's template is very similar to what is written in Nick's training log. Static strength barbell movement followed by unstable surface movement (normally bodyweight). Weights and movements are shifted from week to week and the heavy event days don't begin until about 6 to 8 weeks out from a show. The event training consumes the last 6 to 8 weeks with the ocassional deadlift, squat, or overhead session depending upon if those events are part of the comp.

Good luck and go heavy.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Adam Gagliardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Hey I didn't realize you competed....my response must seem pretty remedial.....
here's my actual split, tryign to get it sorted out still.

Press Day. Monday: ME presses

trying to fols in some partial range bench and seated presses. I'm super weak there. Rotate in push jerks with the log and axle. so this day looks like:

Bench or board press.
Overhead, Jerk or push press, seated press.
soem movign events like yoke, famrers or light tire for conditioning. .

Wed.

DE squats. roate between box and bottom up fronts.
Repetition Pulls. clean hi pulls or RDL.s. no events.

Thursday or Friday: DE press.

10 sets of 3, maybe add bands depending on recovery. BW pullups and some direct ab work.

Saturday.....ME Squat/Pull day..

Main Focus on squat adn deads. up to three top sets of whatever. Main thing is that I keep rotating the first lift, every other week and the secondary lift and pull every week. alternate betwwen DL and a pulling or loading event.

Looks like:

Like Box squats up to a top triple
Zerchers squats 3x5
Pulling type event for speed and technique, not a necessarily a top effort. axle deads, tire, or stones.
finsih off with lighter RDL's

I train in Seattle. Couple of folks at our spot are Andrew Palmer, Scott Hughes and Pete Markoff. Some guys from the Warehouse Crew show up, Grant Higa once in a blue moon.

Tom seems like a total beast, follow his log pretty intently at Marunde.

good stuff...my week looks like
UB
OH strict
OH PP..maybe PJ
back work
Light event medley

LB
Front sqt...maybe zercher sqt.
Some form of DL...mostly off of blocks due to sticking point
GHR
Light event medley

Sat or Sun
events
3-4 mainly working tire, yoke, chain medleys, may do some other stuff with kegs, stones, conans,

other days are mostly BW GPP sessions, running, or firefighter combat challenge events or a combination..but nothing heavy. pretty much always take the day after events off
Old 10-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Adam Gagliardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Adam,
Yep, I'm in WV.

Dave sums it up greatly above.

Brian's training is unworldly. He normally Benches MWF and follows it up with assistance work. He squats and deads Tuesday and Saturday. Thursday is an active recovery day. If he's doing a strongman comp he fits the events in on Thursday and Sunday. yeah....insane, but he does it and the volume is unreal. The weights moved are unreal. I watched him, during the same week, do the following bench workouts - Monday, speed day 405 for 10 sets of 3. Wednesday close grip day - 545x3x3. Friday, regular bench day 585x3x5. All raw. Then on Thursday and Sunday he was axle clean and pressing 325lb for 90 seconds for two to three sets.

Phil's template is very similar to what is written in Nick's training log. Static strength barbell movement followed by unstable surface movement (normally bodyweight). Weights and movements are shifted from week to week and the heavy event days don't begin until about 6 to 8 weeks out from a show. The event training consumes the last 6 to 8 weeks with the ocassional deadlift, squat, or overhead session depending upon if those events are part of the comp.

Good luck and go heavy.

All the best,
Arden

I've read Brian's old log on his site...i could not believe the volume and weight he uses on a consistent basis...amazing.