Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
Daniel Olmstead

So I tried an experiment this week: not stuffing myself. I still tracked what I ate, but if I wasn't going to hit my protein goal for the day, then I just let that go and didn't cram food into an already-full stomach to try and meet the goal. Therefore, my average daily calories and macros went down. Let's see what happened...

What went in (avg. daily):
Calories: 2,116
Fat: 125g (52%)
Carbs: 83g + 21g fiber (18%)
Protein: 151g (29%)

Fasting days: 5/7 (avg. length: 17.2 hours)

Results:

Weight: 176 (-2 lbs, 12lbs total)
Waist: 32.325 (-0.125", 1.625" total)
Bodyfat: 12% (-0%, 3% total)
Percentage to goal: 81%

Well, I knew that I was heading into stubborn fat territory, and things would slow down as I started chipping away at it. So my rate of .25"/week has cut in half. I don't really know if the diet change made a difference - it's so small when averaged out that I doubt it. My workouts have gotten rather inconsistent as well - I damaged my shoulder on Saturday, so between my ankle and my shoulder I'm nursing some annoying injuries, so I'm going to be spending more time doing rest and recovery for a little while until they heal. I don't know what this will do to the weight loss - Mike O'Donnell would probably tell me I'm working out too much as it is, so maybe backing off for a little will be beneficial all around.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Daniel Olmstead

This week was pretty crazy food-wise. Not really sure why, just ate different sorts of things and had days that were WAY off goal, either over or under, in protein and carbs and calories. Still, on average it doesn't look much different from past weeks, which is good.

Calories: 2,381
Fat: 140g (52%)
Carbs: 89g + 25g fiber (17%)
Protein: 178g (30%)

Fasting days: 4/7 (avg. length: 16.6 hours)

Results:
Weight: 175 (-1 lbs, 13lbs total)
Waist: 32.25 (-0.125", 1.75" total)
Percentage to goal: 88%

Ab muscles are a little more visible now, but not yet enough that I would call it a six-pack. Funny that once I gave up on the vanity goal (the six-pack) and turned my focus to fitness goals, I'm finally starting to get one. Maybe a six-pack is like love: it only comes when you aren't looking for it.

My ankle is at about 85% and my shoulder is feeling pretty good, so I think the active recovery week worked. I might try running again today, to see how it feels.

I'm really starting to itch to turn this around again. I want to start 5x5's of weighted pullups and dips to help progress towards a muscle-up, which is my primary goal at this point. If I can keep this rate up without backsliding, I'll be at my goal in two weeks and I can start eating to support real muscle growth again - hopefully a slow LBM-only bulk, this time, so I can get off this rollercoaster.

Interesting observation: since I drastically lowered my carbs to focus on fat and protein, I've noticed that I'm NEVER cold. Indeed, I've taken to sleeping with the window open every night and my legs outside the covers just to keep from overheating in my sleep. Sweaters and sweatshirts frequently get uncomfortable. So for some reason my thermogenesis has really kicked up. A little googling turned up this gem on an extremely crappy and probably highly disreputable supplement site:

Quote:
Among the nutritional activators, the various macronutrients have different effects on the thermogenic response. When you ingest food, your metabolic rate increases above the fasting level. In the case of protein, energy to process the protein, which is then used for tissue growth and repair. On the other hand, carbohydrates and fat function primarily as fuel and are used more efficiently as such by the body. Carbohydrates and fat therefore have a much lower thermogenic effect than protein.
So I would guess this is my body taking all that protein and converting it to glycogen, since I'm not giving it enough glucose, and the heat is a byproduct of that conversion. I don't know whether this means anything (good or bad), but it's interesting to note.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
Derek Weaver

Nice. Somehow I either missed this or didn't pay attention to it. Either way, i am regretfully late to the party.

Nice thread, nice progress. Keep up the posts and good work.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #14
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
This week was pretty crazy food-wise. Not really sure why, just ate different sorts of things and had days that were WAY off goal, either over or under, in protein and carbs and calories. Still, on average it doesn't look much different from past weeks, which is good.

Calories: 2,381
Fat: 140g (52%)
Carbs: 89g + 25g fiber (17%)
Protein: 178g (30%)

Fasting days: 4/7 (avg. length: 16.6 hours)

Results:
Weight: 175 (-1 lbs, 13lbs total)
Waist: 32.25 (-0.125", 1.75" total)
Percentage to goal: 88%

Ab muscles are a little more visible now, but not yet enough that I would call it a six-pack. Funny that once I gave up on the vanity goal (the six-pack) and turned my focus to fitness goals, I'm finally starting to get one. Maybe a six-pack is like love: it only comes when you aren't looking for it.

My ankle is at about 85% and my shoulder is feeling pretty good, so I think the active recovery week worked. I might try running again today, to see how it feels.

I'm really starting to itch to turn this around again. I want to start 5x5's of weighted pullups and dips to help progress towards a muscle-up, which is my primary goal at this point. If I can keep this rate up without backsliding, I'll be at my goal in two weeks and I can start eating to support real muscle growth again - hopefully a slow LBM-only bulk, this time, so I can get off this rollercoaster.

Interesting observation: since I drastically lowered my carbs to focus on fat and protein, I've noticed that I'm NEVER cold. Indeed, I've taken to sleeping with the window open every night and my legs outside the covers just to keep from overheating in my sleep. Sweaters and sweatshirts frequently get uncomfortable. So for some reason my thermogenesis has really kicked up. A little googling turned up this gem on an extremely crappy and probably highly disreputable supplement site:

So I would guess this is my body taking all that protein and converting it to glycogen, since I'm not giving it enough glucose, and the heat is a byproduct of that conversion. I don't know whether this means anything (good or bad), but it's interesting to note.
Going to hit a few based on my personal experience.

Abs - made in kitchen. I agree, who cares, but the more you train the more they come. When it comes down to it though, people who worry about them tend to have a vanity issue, so continue not caring.

A muscle-up, at least kipped is about more about technique, and less about strength. The transition is what gets most people. I haven't done even close to the volume of dips and push-ups I used to do and can still chain 6-7 muscle-ups together solely on technique.

It will come to a point when you eat a meal, that protein will make you feel warm all over consistently within minutes of downing it. I gave up on heavy covers quite some time ago, and its 40 at night here.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Patrick Yeung

Awesome work man. Looks like youre just meltin fat away.

Im just startin, but seein similar results for the first week. But, I have to ask though, your calorie split seems very favorable, kind of what im aimin for, but I dont know where I am at.

What are you using to keep track of your calories? Id love to see what youre eatin. Been havin alot of trouble gettin enough protein at the end of the night.

And ive noticed the temp increase as well. I was at the beach yesterday, in overcast swimmin in the pacific. It started gettin dark, and we were headin out when we realized we hadnt even brought towels... I didnt even shiver on the whole walk back soaking wet when everyone else was shatterin teeth. Kinda cool. Probably helps melt the fat away too.
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
Daniel Olmstead

Thanks Derek, George & Patrick. I like keeping the logs in a public place - helps keep me honest.

Patrick, I use Fitday to track my foods. I use the downloadable software, which costs a small amount, but they have a free version at their website. Calorie King and Daily Plate are other website options - check 'em out and go with the one that appeals to you. It's definitely a huge help to track.

As for what I eat...well, I'm a vegetarian, so it's pretty safe to say you wouldn't have any interest in following my plan. It involves large daily quantities of eggs and cottage cheese, as well as different permutations of the dreaded soy bean.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #17
Patrick Yeung

That makes it even better! I was vegeterian prior to lifting, eating pretty much all raw. I got most of my calories from fruit (oranges and apples mostly) with vegetables at dinner with some sort of protein. Of course, I was also doing distance running.

With what ive read about soy, and soy products (things like decreased HGH levels, increases in estrogen, and drops in sperm count, well, dont really care about that, but shows it does affect males), ive stopped having them, so I needed to get more protein with less carbs.

I eat alot of cottage cheese, and usually at least 4 eggs, usually 6.

But how do you get 100grams of protein, without soy, or minimal amounts. Many of the studies show those affects with just one or two servings a day.

How are you gettin so much fat on a vegeterian diet though?

Oh, and where did you say that you kept your food log? I am especially intersted now how youre gettin your protein and fat.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
Daniel Olmstead

My log is on my computer and not in a share-able format, unfortunately, but here's a rundown of the foods I eat a lot of.

Protein:
  • Full-fat cottage cheese - at least a cup a day
  • Eggs - typically 6 daily
  • Milk - no more than a pint/day, due to carbs
  • Tofu - I do eat it, typically for one meal a day. I use organic and non-GMO, and I've read all the literature on it and think the risks are overhyped. I will also eat tempeh and wheat gluten, from time to time.
  • Protein powder - I use a pure, unflavored and unsweetened blend of whey/casein from true protein, which I use for my homemade protein bars.

Fat:
Fat is not difficult. I love cheese, nuts/nut butters and olive oil, and that right there takes care of a lot. I also usually make a curry once a week with coconut milk.

Carbs:
My carbs come from primarily veggies, milk and tofu. I do not eat any packaged foods, and the only sweetener I use is stevia, and that fairly infrequently.

I've posted a handful of my frequently-used recipes on my blog, if you're curious. Props to George for the cauliflower-crust pizza - that one's awesome.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #19
Patrick Yeung

WHAT! cauliflower-crust pizza?! That sounds awesome.

Ill definetly be checkin out your blog for other stuff. Your diet seems like what mine would be. Its all the same stuff I was eating before, but I bet its just higher quantities.

All the carbs associated with milk and tofu are another turn off, but they are such good sources.

Ill have to start puttin myself back on a similar diet. I always felt better off meat than on it. Props to you for being able to stick to it and make it work.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, and coconut curry is awesome, especially of the super spicy red curry sorts.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #20
Daniel Olmstead

So close...

Calories: 2,231
Fat: 140g (55%)
Carbs: 76g + 21g fiber (16%)
Protein: 150g (27%)

I lost track of my fasts this week.

Results:
Weight: 174 (-1 lbs, 14lbs total)
Waist: 32.125 (-0.125", 1.875" total)
Bodyfat: 11.5% (-0.5%, 3.5% total)
Percentage to goal: 94%

Fell off the wagon a little bit this week, protein-wise. In fact, in general I didn't eat enough this week - I think I had three sub-2k calorie days. I want to be careful not to slip into a regular deficit here, so a binge day or two is probably called for. This close to goal, though, the temptation is definitely high to eat less, thinking it will help shave off those last few fractions of an inch.

I've been thinking more and more about what to do when I hit my goal, which (fingers crossed) should be next week. I want to refocus on gaining LBM, but not with a traditional bulk. I admit that after several weeks of having a definite plan, and having that plan WORK, I'm anxious about going back to the wilderness of dietary uncertainty that is effective LBM gain. I think I might try freestyle for a little while - eating a LOT on rest days after hard effort, but continuing to IF and eating less on other days, maybe keeping one or two morning HIIT sessions per week to focus on fat-burning a couple times a week. Maybe try to get my overall daily average up to the 2800-3k range, but in a very spiky, rather than steady, fashion.

I'm also thinking of bringing more carbs back into the picture, post-workout. Mr. O'Donnell suggests this sort of carb-cycling to more quickly replenish muscle glycogen, but I am not yet clear on just how many carbs is a good target for a post-workout meal. 100g? Are a couple glasses of milk sufficient, or should it be low-GI carbs in food? I will have to do more research.