Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #121
Kevin Perry

Allen,

How is the negative version performed?

I hope the new gym that opens up has a GHD.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #122
Allen Yeh

Use your hands to push yourelf to the top and then do a controlled fall, once your body is parallel with the ground use your hands and repeat.

Last edited by Allen Yeh; 10-10-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #123
Kevin Perry

Thanks Allen,

10/10

CFWU x 2

Front Squats: 135 x 3 x 5

Press: 125 x 2 x 5 ( I should have went 3 x 3)

Ring Dips (weighted): 3 x 10 (25#)

Support Hold: 3 x 30 sec

Hanging Leg Raises: 2 x 12
Old 10-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #124
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
If you can't get all the way up yet work the negative portion as slowly as you can. GHR's are crippling the first few weeks. Have fun!
GHR's are "crippling"... that is the best description of the exercise I've heard. Brutal doesn't describe it when first getting after GHR's. No amount of back and hip extensions prepares someone for GHR's in my opinion.

Enjoy them Kevin. By the way, that squat is solid at 150. Close to 2xBW
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #125
Kevin Perry

Thanks for the comment Derek.

10/13

Hang Clean + FS + Split Jerk

20kg x 3 x 3, 25kg x 1 x 3

Power Cleans

50kg x 3 x 5

SLDL

185 x 4 x 8

Bench Press

135 x 3 x 10

Barbell Rows

95 x 4 x 8

Weighted Chins

4 x 6 w/ 25lbs

Not to bad today although the Bench press was supposed to be close-grip and I can't do those because they cause too much pain in my wrists.

I struggle with power cleans for some reason. Anything over 40kg and my form falls apart. It's tough just to get under the bar and its impossible to keep my arms straight throughout the pull. Have to bend them early just to get under...

I was also really tired today too. Even though I got around 8 hours of sleep it really felt like 2 and it seems a lot of my classmates felt the same way too. Weird.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #126
Allen Yeh

I had the problem with power cleans for the longest time as well. Only in the last few months have things really "clicked." Things I personally toyed with was the start position and where my feet/shins were relative to the bar. I also really tried to slow down my first pull, which was screwing up everything else because I was trying to rush it.

Do you struggle with cleans as well? I'm remembering you don't, but I could be wrong. A good progression for power cleans I think would be halting deadlifts(clean positioning), clean pulls then power cleans.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #127
Kevin Perry

I have not done much cleans lately but I never really strugged with them except with rising out of the hole.

The first pull on the power cleans tends to get me because I sometimes move too ast thinkig the power is needed for the second pull but of course it does not work that way. They are just going to take some constant work.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #128
Kevin Perry

10/15

Ok today was pretty good

Warmed up and spent about 15 min on drills with the Oly lift

Kettle Bell Swings: 16kg x 4 x 15 of of soulder height + overhead overhead w/ 180* turn

Clean and Jerk: 30kg x 3 x 5 lots of form work, very solid. Stated from the 2 pos on the clean, and nailed it everytime.

Bench: 135# x 3 x 10

Reverse Hypers: 4 x 8 umm these were uncomfortable, I swear I felt it more crushig my groin area then my lower back.

GHR: 3 x 8 These were easier than last week but still very difficult. I used the negatives that Allen pointed out and it made a difference.

So today felt pretty good. Im still not to sure about the slow lifts, I swear I could make more progress on a liner progression format and squeezing out what I can on it.

Diet wise i've been eating like crazy. Just everything and anything... tons of fruits and vegies and meats... and lots of ice cream. And I know coach does not want me to gain anymore weight but working out 4 days a week seems to have hit the spot and I can eat more then before and that heavier number is looking mighty tempting...

I've already downed a half gallon o' milk in under an hour and a half today. Just finished it a min ago. Freakin PR right there.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #129
Derek Weaver

Stuff looks pretty good Kevin. I really improved by doing more hang cleans and hang power cleans. It helped me hit triple extension as well as keep the arms long and straight til it was time to pull under.

On that close grip bench, how close are your hands and where does it hurt in your wrists?

Keep it up.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #130
Allen Yeh

I think you were too far forward on the reverse hypers? Heh...just maybe.