Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #591
Derek Simonds

Ha! Now I know what I can beat Allen at..... A couple of more weks and I will be ready

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #592
Allen Yeh

October 21, 2008

I spent almost the entire day playing Fable 2....I couldn't stop myself!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #593
Allen Yeh

October 22, 2008
*15 hour fast*
BW = 193 (all that crappy eating + drinking??!)

1. WU
Eric Cressey Warmup Option 1:
tennis ball - calves, glutes, infraspinatus, arch roll ~0:15-0:30
kneeling RF/TFL stretch - 0:15L/R
sleeper stretch - 0:15L/R
glute bridge - 12
reach, roll, lift - 8L/R
wall ankle mobility - 8L/R
x-band walk - 10L/R
pull-back butt kick - 5L/R
cradle walk - 5L/R
split stance broomstick pec mobilization - 8L/R
squat to stand - 8
OH lunge walk - 5L/R

2. Strength
Burgener WU - 45 x 1
2 pos. snatch - hang, ground - 95 x 1, 95 x 1, 95 x 1 (left forearm...crap)
snatch balance - 95 x 3
back squat - high bar - 135 x 3, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 245 x 3, 265 x 3, 295 x 2, 245 x 3, 245 x 3, 245 x 3, 245 x 3, 245 x 3
(1 min rest for work sets 1-4, 1.5 minutes for sets 5, back to 1 minute rests on the remaining 5)

db 1 legged RDL - 30 x 8L/R, 30 x 8L/R, 30 x 8L/R, 30 x 8L/R
3 point plank - 0:30 on left foot, 0:30 on right foot, 0:30 on left foot, 0:30 on right foot
(superset with no rest - 0:30)

3. Misc.

10 minute walk

Notes:
-EC's warmup routine was taken from his book Maximum Strength which I found at the library of all places! I've been reading through it and I think I might throw in his upper body workouts in there as well as using his warmup routines. The lower body stuff he has is all powerlifting oriented and not inline with what goals I have right now. The upper body stuff looks good as I've been kind of doing a hodge podge of stuff lately with no real focus upper body wise.
-2 pos. snatch - forearm/elbow area NOT feeling great, pretty pissed at myself
-10 x 3 back squats - Accidentally did 295 instead of 285 like I had planned, mental math wasn't working very well. Much better at keeping an upright torso today and not driving with my hips too much. Not as bad as last week, thank goodness. I even cut my rests down a bit more than last week.
-10 minute walk - EC also has recommendations depending on bodytype of what type of energy/cardio a person should do, I figured it can't hurt. For all lifting sessions except the 4th it says 10 minutes of low intensity cardio. Your rest days are you HIIT/metcon type days. Which I'm ok with since after doing these squats I don't have any energy left for metcons!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #594
Derek Simonds

I am so impressed with your squats. You are just killing it right now.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #595
Allen Yeh

Thanks. Any luck with the Canadians?
Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 AM   #596
Allen Yeh

October 23, 2008

Had to head home early so I missed the gym, planned to workout at home but got sidetracked with chores and cooking dinner.

1 reason a condo is better than a townhouse....no YARD! I didn't like doing leaves when I was a kid and I don't like it now.

Did some SMR and various stretches throughout the time at home.

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 10-24-2008 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #597
Allen Yeh

Default Left forearm flaring up again.

So my left forearm/elbow area has flared up again thanks to no small part that I'm an idiot and went too fast after thinking it was all better.

Right now my game plan is to take a break from the Olympic movements and all the exercises I had listed before on the "hurt my arm" list. I'll reevaluate when I get back from FL after the 7th and see where to go from there. I'd like to keep doing the back and front squats 10 x 3 which have been fun. then adding accessory leg movements afterwards on those days.

A semi template:
Day 1: back squat 10x3, other leg movements + 10 minutes low intensity cardio
Day 2: Metcon ~15 minutes total
Day 3: upper body day 1 from Phase 1: foundation (Cressey's Maximum Strength book) + 10 minutes low intensity cardio
Day 4: front squat 10 x 3, other leg movements + upper body stuff + 10 minutes low intensity stuff
Day 5: Metcon?
Day 6: metcon + 20 minutes low intensity cardio
Day 7: rest

lower body
upper body
full body - threw upper stuff on the front squat day as they don't kill me(right away) as much as the back squats. Eric Cressey wants 4 days in the gym but since I work from home 1-2 days a week out of 5, I know I won't be able to be faithful to that.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #598
Derek Simonds

Is the other leg stuff PC? RDL's, DL's Weighted B/E's, Single Leg DL's w/ KB's GM's. Maybe 1 PC movement in the other leg stuff.

I like the template a lot. So you like EC's stuff in maximum strength.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #599
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Is the other leg stuff PC? RDL's, DL's Weighted B/E's, Single Leg DL's w/ KB's GM's. Maybe 1 PC movement in the other leg stuff.

I like the template a lot. So you like EC's stuff in maximum strength.
His stuff is geared towards powerlifting so I'm going to alter things a bit by doing the high bar back squats and front squats. The leg stuff for this phase and the stuff I'm going to sub is next to it, for most exercises I'm going to follow his week by week rep recommendations.

1st lower body day
box squat - 10 x 3 back squats
speed deadlift - clean or snatch pulls
walking db lunge - either RDL's, or 1-leg RDL
core superset of reverse crunch and plank

2nd lower body day
front squat - same just different rep scheme
rack pull from kneecaps - skipping this if it's a full body day, otherwise as RX'ed
DB Bulgarian split squat - as RX'ed
pull through - as RX'ed
core stuff

I'll post what I did later for the upper body day when I get around to putting my log up. Benching powerlifting style is really strange.

I was really shocked to see the book at the library! I bet I'm probably the only person to have checked it out too! I'd recommend it, I've always liked his stuff I like the 2 warmup options he gives and the way the 16 weeks are arranged. I just want to change it a bit towards Oly stuff. As my arm gets better again I'll be throwing in more classic lifts and accessory work.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #600
Derek Simonds

I am going to check our library. I can't believe you wouldn't want to do the DB lunges. I worked up to 3 sets X 6 reps with 50 LB DB's. I think I hated them more then I currently hate GM's. In fact I hate them so much I am going to add them back into my routine.

I love the looks of your template.