Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #21
Doug Blankenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Depending on how low you are daily....you may be able to do that once every 7-10days and still be able to see progress. Too low too much, or doing the same thing every day will just stall eventually. Add more variety and try a few days of lower carbs and then up them once in a while (whole foods of course, try to avoid sugar). Variety is good, keep the body guessing and adapting. That and make your eating reflect training needs/recovery.

Thanks Mike. I have got a few ideas to change things up and they were pretty much how you described.
Doug Blankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #22
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittit Shwartz View Post
Darryl, from this and your previous posts you are obviously a highly "carb-tolerant" individual, but this is not the case for (arguably) the majority of people. Especially for someone who was formerly overweight, more carbs and less fat seems unlikely to be the solution.

Doug, I recently broke a fat loss plateau by UPPING my fat intake.

That said, as someone who does NOT do well with carbs, I find I can manage 1/3-1/2 cup of berries with an otherwise low carb/high fat meal, so +1 for Darryl's recommendation of more variety in your diet.

G
I doubt if I'm any more carb-tolerant than the next guy and I'm sure that if I ate a diet high refined foods I'd get fat the same as anyone else. The reason I've been able to maintain an average 5% BF my entire adult life (I'm 40) on a high carb low(ish) fat diet is because I get almost all of my carbs from plants rather than grains or other refined foods and plant foods, even starchy ones like bananas or sweet potatoes, are low in calories. If you look on www.nutritiondata.com you'll find that most plant foods have an extremely low calorie density (kcal/100g) compared to nuts, seeds or animal foods as they're mostly cellulose and water so you need to eat an enormous volume of plant foods to meet your daily calorie requirements and the size of the human stomach means that it's almost impossible to overeat.

Another factor in this, and it's something that people tend to forget, is that any excess carbs will only ever be stored as fat if your glycogen stores are already full and your body has nowhere else to put them. There's a metabolic cost of ~24% required to convert glucose to adipose tissue though which means that if you overeat on a high carb diet only 76 out every 100 excess calories will be stored as fat. If on the other hand you overeat on a high fat diet the metabolic cost of storing any excess is only 2% so 98 out of every 100 excess calories as will be stored as fat.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #23
Doug Blankenship

Here are my test result numbers:

Cholesterol: 111
Triglycerides: 42
HDL: 53
Cholest/HDL Ratio: 2.09
LDL: 50

Other Numbers:
Glucose, Fasting: 69
BUN: 16
Creatinine: 0.80
Calcium: 9.7
Total Protein: 7.9
Albumin: 4.8
Total Bilirubin: 0.8
Alkaline Phosphatase: 86
AST (SGOT): 28
ALT (SGPT): 47
Sodium: 141
Potassium: 4.5
Chloride: 103
CO2: 26
eGFR Rate: >59

Doctor said that I'm not Diabetic and what she would like me to do, is to limit my water intake by a half and use a little sea salt on some of my foods. Other than that she was impressed by the numbers.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #24
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
I doubt if I'm any more carb-tolerant than the next guy and I'm sure that if I ate a diet high refined foods I'd get fat the same as anyone else. The reason I've been able to maintain an average 5% BF my entire adult life (I'm 40) on a high carb low(ish) fat diet is because I get almost all of my carbs from plants rather than grains or other refined foods and plant foods, even starchy ones like bananas or sweet potatoes, are low in calories. If you look on www.nutritiondata.com you'll find that most plant foods have an extremely low calorie density (kcal/100g) compared to nuts, seeds or animal foods as they're mostly cellulose and water so you need to eat an enormous volume of plant foods to meet your daily calorie requirements and the size of the human stomach means that it's almost impossible to overeat.

Another factor in this, and it's something that people tend to forget, is that any excess carbs will only ever be stored as fat if your glycogen stores are already full and your body has nowhere else to put them. There's a metabolic cost of ~24% required to convert glucose to adipose tissue though which means that if you overeat on a high carb diet only 76 out every 100 excess calories will be stored as fat. If on the other hand you overeat on a high fat diet the metabolic cost of storing any excess is only 2% so 98 out of every 100 excess calories as will be stored as fat.
High carb diet on vegetables? Damn man...you must eat hoards of veggies...like...5 cups for every 4 oz meat.

Do you live on a farm?

Upping fat just seems more practical for most people.

My 2
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #25
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
High carb diet on vegetables? Damn man...you must eat hoards of veggies...like...5 cups for every 4 oz meat.

Do you live on a farm?

Upping fat just seems more practical for most people.

My 2
We don't use cups or ounces to measure things here in the UK but I seem to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables every day so for all I know you might be right.

It might seem like a daunting task to eat that much plant food every day but until quite recently in our history most people had to eat a huge volume of food every day just to get by in fact human coprolites from the paleolithic era show that stone age hunter-gatherers routinely ate over 100g of fibre per day so the human stomach is more than capable of dealing with such a high volume of food every day without any problems.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #26
Neill Smith

Doug:

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss and on your numbers. Your cholesterol is incredible.

You might be in the "stubborn fat" zone now. There are a few tricks that you can use to target that, including fasted intervals and caffeine before training. Lyle McDonald's book on the subject is excellent.
Neill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
Doug Blankenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Occhiogrosso View Post
Doug:

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss and on your numbers. Your cholesterol is incredible.

You might be in the "stubborn fat" zone now. There are a few tricks that you can use to target that, including fasted intervals and caffeine before training. Lyle McDonald's book on the subject is excellent.
Thanks Neil, I will run a search for the book.