Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 11-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
Trygve Lunde

Default different cycling

Hello

i was just wondering about the different cycling approches you guys use when getting leanest possible. My goal is to loose as much fat as possible, i dont mind loosing some muscle also, but of course if i can hold on to everything thats great. But main goal is loose body fat. And not gain any muscle or weight.
Im around 12% bodyfat now and i want to get down to 6-8%.

Im doing IF as you guys now and have no problem with it. I only eat one "big" meal a day. Its not that big but its ok. I think i eat around 1400-1500 calories a day now. I know its low but ive been doing this the last two-three weeks and hopefully it will work out. My macro split is 80-100g protein, around 80g fat and no or >30g carb.
Its kind of a low calorie AD diet. Because on saturdays i eat what ever i want. Or not whatever but food containing of mostly carb and some fat, no protein. But i think i may go overboard sometimes i just love bread, and bakery products. But after reading Joe`s thread i think maybe this isnt the way to go

So as i was saying, what methods do you guys use? High protein days? high carb/high protein low fat day? high carb, mod fat low protein? etc. And how often is your cycle? every third day? or the AD way etc.
Trygve Lunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygve Lunde View Post
My goal is to loose as much fat as possible, i dont mind loosing some muscle also, but of course if i can hold on to everything thats great. But main goal is loose body fat. And not gain any muscle or weight.
What the hell? This is the Performance Menu. We don't generally discuss protocols that will kill muscle (unless we're talking about long CF metcons).

Do you have any goals apart from bodyfat %age? What do you weigh now? What's your program? If you're asthmatic, I don't know that wasting away is a good idea.

Maybe you should go here:
http://www.sexyanorexia.net/
Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Emily Mattes

If your only goal is to get down to a really low body fat percentage, then your best bet is to read the articles and forums on T-Nation. I am not being flippant--the dudes over there make getting swole their life.

I think on these forums you'll find a lot of people who are doing Paleo, IF, whatever, but it's with the idea of simply being healthier, increasing their performance, and losing some body fat. But super leanness, even at the expense of muscle is not going to be a specialty here.

That said, I've heard of various measures of success from cyclical ketogenic diets, and if you want to be extreme the Velocity Diet is always an option. And I read somewhere on here (I think from Dan John) that incorporating long, slow cardio while fasted in the morning is supposed to help, for example an hour long walk in addition to your regular training program. But again, I am really not sure of all of these details. Following the Zone is also pretty successful at stripping fat, but that's because it's low-calorie and relatively low-carb and you're already doing something like that.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
joe waguespack

Just from my personal experience, the whole AD thing really has screwed with my metabolism. Prior to giving it a try I was basically doing a 19 hour fast/ 5 hour feed IF, with Paleo food choices and Zone block ratios 15-18 blocks. THat was the leanest I ever was and the best I ever felt and it seemed that I could quickly make changes in my physique by simply altering my training and not having to make dietary changes. Since coming off the AD and going back to doing what I was doing before I have had a lot of stomach problems, I generally feel like crap and I have added a good bit of bodyfat.

I think the best plan is the one you can stick with, for me the AD was not something I could have seen myself live with for to long. Anytime a nutrition plan is to extreme ( no carb, no fat, high protein.......) I think it has it's downfalls and problems. Eating plenty of healthy fruits and veggies along with good protein sources and healthy fats is definitely the way to go, you will feel good and also you will have the comfort of knowing that you are feeding your body what it needs to stay healthy and strong.

A few other things,You always want to keep or gain muscle, losing muscle will stall your fatloss efforts, when dieting you still need to lift heavy to make sure your body knows to hold on to that muscle tissue. Also, unless you are 120lbs, 1400-1500 calories is nowhere near enough calories for you to be eating. A good place to start is 12 x bodyweight. and that is even a little low. I think starting off with the Zone/Paleo is a great place to start for fat loss. It will help you learn what and how much of what you need to eat. Try that for a few weeks and see how you respond and add in a few fasts as you see fit.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
Trygve Lunde

Thank you
Im 22 years old btw. and 180 cm and 83 kg now. I just want to get super lean now, and maybe later add som muscles if i want. But for now fat loss is my only consern. But of course i want to do it the healthy way
Old 11-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Do you have any performance goals beyond aesthetics? If not, IF on Paleo stuff. Get yourself some rings and look at Steven Low's WO log unless you want to look all cracked out.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Trygve Lunde

nope performance doesnt matter that much. Its the looks that count
thank you, will check that out
Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Trygve Lunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe waguespack View Post
Just from my personal experience, the whole AD thing really has screwed with my metabolism. Prior to giving it a try I was basically doing a 19 hour fast/ 5 hour feed IF, with Paleo food choices and Zone block ratios 15-18 blocks. THat was the leanest I ever was and the best I ever felt and it seemed that I could quickly make changes in my physique by simply altering my training and not having to make dietary changes. Since coming off the AD and going back to doing what I was doing before I have had a lot of stomach problems, I generally feel like crap and I have added a good bit of bodyfat.

I think the best plan is the one you can stick with, for me the AD was not something I could have seen myself live with for to long. Anytime a nutrition plan is to extreme ( no carb, no fat, high protein.......) I think it has it's downfalls and problems. Eating plenty of healthy fruits and veggies along with good protein sources and healthy fats is definitely the way to go, you will feel good and also you will have the comfort of knowing that you are feeding your body what it needs to stay healthy and strong.

A few other things,You always want to keep or gain muscle, losing muscle will stall your fatloss efforts, when dieting you still need to lift heavy to make sure your body knows to hold on to that muscle tissue. Also, unless you are 120lbs, 1400-1500 calories is nowhere near enough calories for you to be eating. A good place to start is 12 x bodyweight. and that is even a little low. I think starting off with the Zone/Paleo is a great place to start for fat loss. It will help you learn what and how much of what you need to eat. Try that for a few weeks and see how you respond and add in a few fasts as you see fit.
Ive never tried the Zone type so the block thing doesnt ring a bell but i will deep into it. As for calories im around x10 now. But i have a eating day a week wich will add that up i guess

But as my question was, nobody here really cycle between low fat and high fat? ist just the same all the time?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygve Lunde View Post
nope performance doesnt matter that much. Its the looks that count
thank you, will check that out
Form follows function.

Before this place became a refugee camp, people would have accosted you for wanting to do this to yourself. I don't see the point of wanting to do this, and I don't suspect you'll get good advice here about looking emaciated. Just eat a piece of beef jerky with a spot of Mrs. Dash every 12 hours, and wash it down with some diet water and you'll hit your goals.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 11-05-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Emily Mattes

Trygve, as I said before, the low-fat, high-fat, low-carb, high-carb cycling diets are a bodybuilder thing. They are for people who just want to strip fat off their bodies and don't give a crap about performance.

On here, Performance Menu, the focus is performance. General health/athletic prowess/whatever generally take precedence over pursuit of simple aesthetics. That's not to say people here don't want to look good naked, but it's not their priority the way it's the priority of a bodybuilder or model. You are really in the wrong place for diet advice, I promise you.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote