Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Gavin Jones

Question Mental prep before attempting lifts

What prep do you do? Any specific words/routine you work through in your head?

This goes for weightlifting and powerlifting
Gavin Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
glennpendlay

ive seen lots of lifters get ready for heavy attempts, no two are the same. One thing that I think stands true for everyone, before you walk up to the bar the psyching up, convincing yourself you can do it, etc, should all be over with. Never walk up and grasp a bar that you dont think you can lift. Once you begin your "final approach" to the bar, everything should be done the same wither its 60kg or 160kg. No hesitation, no stalling, etc.
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Empty your mind and let your body DO. Like Glenn said.. no hesistation or stalling.

Make up your own routine if you so desire but keep these things in mind.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Jean-Patrick Millette

Jean-Patrick Millette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
Kris Reeves

I talk shit to the bar for a few seconds to get thinking positive, but as soon as I've psyched myself up, I shut up and clear my head...turn on auto-pilot and just do it.

For what it's worth, someone (a power-lifting guy) told me once that the most successful lifters (successful in that they have a high percentage of completed attempts) on average clear their head for 10 seconds before the lift. I don't know if he pulled that out of his ass or what...but I figure I'd just pass that nugget along.
Kris Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Gavin,
I've competed in about 20 powerlifting comps (last one was 1990), 1 weightlifting comps (two weeks ago), and nearly 100,000 lumberjack sporting events (10 events at most competitions - I've competed for the past 30 years at as many as 30 events per year - and sometimes more, but not as much in recent years). I don't even want to think about how many training sessions I've had over the past 30 years....I've not missed many sessions and I love training more than I do competing.

The approach I take to the bar, the axe, the saw, and the chainsaw is the same. I do it before every training session, be that lumberjack event or in the gym.

I'm reminded of the first two lines of an En Vogue song entitled "Free your mind."

- "Free your mind. And the rest will follow. Be color blind, don't be so shallow......"

I've spent the past six years meditating, practicing tai chi and yoga daily. Learning to "free the mind" is a wonderful thing.

You simply think of nothing and allow the body to take over and respond. Rely upon your preparation. Make whatever you're doing become wrote memory. Make your neural pathways adapt to this mode. Even during your training. Especially during your training. That's the reason for your training.

Hope that helps?

all the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Brian DeGennaro

I agree with everyone else: just let it happen. I like to forget that I've loaded extra weight onto the bar most days I lift, just so I don't need to focus on the weight but my form. Another thing that helped a lot was starting to measure everything in kilos. Things just seem so much lighter when you write down kilos. If that doesn't work, write it in poods or stones!
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
I agree with everyone else: just let it happen. I like to forget that I've loaded extra weight onto the bar most days I lift, just so I don't need to focus on the weight but my form. Another thing that helped a lot was starting to measure everything in kilos. Things just seem so much lighter when you write down kilos. If that doesn't work, write it in poods or stones!
"Just let it happen"

One of the best books written on the mental game of sport is the Inner Game of Tennis. Short thin book, but a good read and has several applications in all sport.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Jamie Jamieson

I have competed in both Powerlifting and Weightlifting. Depending on which I take one of the following approaches:

1. Powerlifting, I like to get revved up, rage is your friend :-) On a tie breaking third attempt I get a buddy to slap me hard on the back - gets me pissed off! I perform better in Powerlifting this way.

2. Weightlifting is a different story, getting all revved up does not apply! My mind must be clear, trust our preparation, be confident you can do it and allow it to happen.
Jamie Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
I'm reminded of the first two lines of an En Vogue song entitled "Free your mind."

- "Free your mind. And the rest will follow. Be color blind, don't be so shallow......"
Also relevant to weightlifting is the quote from Funkadelic: "Free your mind... and your ass will follow"
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote