Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Brian DeGennaro

Default Thigh Bump

Does anyone else have problems withthe dreaded thigh bump while lifting? I tend to do this 2/3 of the time (am working really hard to fix it) which causes me to jump forward noticeably and miss snatches. From vids I can tell that I am slightly hyperextending on the 2nd pull.

Are there any drills that help re-teach myself to not thrust my hips into the bar?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Does anyone else have problems withthe dreaded thigh bump while lifting? I tend to do this 2/3 of the time (am working really hard to fix it) which causes me to jump forward noticeably and miss snatches. From vids I can tell that I am slightly hyperextending on the 2nd pull.

Are there any drills that help re-teach myself to not thrust my hips into the bar?
Brian,
I'm new to these movements, so bear with me.

My thought is to do Tall Varietys of the snatch and clean. Or high block reps concentrating on the 2nd and 3rd pulls. Primarily the second pull.

I'm in a similar situation in that I'm finally getting my hips to the bar, but when I'm over agressive with my hips, I knock the bar out a bit and make it hard to catch. My gut is telling me the Tall version, hang version, and high block (above the knee) version would help me with this issue.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

I have a long torso, so doing a standard first pull really puts me in a position to "bump and loop" if I do a standard set-up off the ground.

At my Pmenu OL seminar, Greg had me start in a feet turned-out stance (I'd say 6-8 inches from between mid-heels, feet making slightly less than 90 degree angles between each other) and the knees pushing as wide as possible. Not exactly the "frog stance", but one could say it is similar in ways.

This allows me to bring the bar up in a much straighter path since I don't have to go "around" my knees so much. I feel it makes for a smoother transition between my first and second pulls.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Garrett,
That's awesome advice. I have a long torso as well and I've started doing this on my own to get a better bar path to avoid bumping/looping the bar on my snacthes. Given what you've written, I think I'll make it even more pronounced as that makes complete sense to me.

Now if I could only do something with my orangutan arms.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I have a long torso, so doing a standard first pull really puts me in a position to "bump and loop" if I do a standard set-up off the ground.

At my Pmenu OL seminar, Greg had me start in a feet turned-out stance (I'd say 6-8 inches from between mid-heels, feet making slightly less than 90 degree angles between each other) and the knees pushing as wide as possible. Not exactly the "frog stance", but one could say it is similar in ways.

This allows me to bring the bar up in a much straighter path since I don't have to go "around" my knees so much. I feel it makes for a smoother transition between my first and second pulls.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Arden,
I've got relatively "short" arms with my long torso...another issue entirely.

Thank Greg E. for the advice...I'm simply implementing and sharing my experience!

I will admit to this...my upper thighs have very mild bruises on them after my OL meet this weekend, so I am still obviously bumping the bar a bit. However, my coach said nothing about it, so it couldn't have been that bad!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Arden,
I've got relatively "short" arms with my long torso...another issue entirely.

Thank Greg E. for the advice...I'm simply implementing and sharing my experience!

I will admit to this...my upper thighs have very mild bruises on them after my OL meet this weekend, so I am still obviously bumping the bar a bit. However, my coach said nothing about it, so it couldn't have been that bad!
Good work Garrett.

You must have remedied the problem with the coaching cue that Greg implemented.

On my long arms, (I'm 70 inches tall and 76" from finger tip to finger tip), I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I need to lean back a bit more and get more head whip (a la Dimas - bad to most) in order to make up for the fact that when I stand normal during the clean and unshrugged, the bar is less than 3" from my knee. Great for deadlifting and woodchopping, but not much else. When I shrug the bar fully, it's still about 2" under crotch.

All the best,
Arden
Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Brian DeGennaro

I found what's helping me the most is staying over the bar longer and starting with my hips much higher than before. I don't know what this exactly looks like but it feels more like a deadlifting position to me but I was so used to starting with my hips in a squat position so that could be why.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Do you have video access? Posting a vid for the likes of Greg and Aimee to see would probably give you the most bang for the $$.

I had a confusing start to figuring out my different starting positions for the different lift.

My original DL start was very much a clean start (low hips, more like a squat). At my Level I CF cert, Rip used me as an example and raised my hips up for the DL start.

So I start working with that position. Then I go to the PMenu OL cert and Greg moves my hips back down for the clean start position.

Now I know the difference very well due to my personal experience. I do know that if I started an OL with high hips there will be a massive hip bump going on...
Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Brian DeGennaro

Here is a link to the many vids I have uploaded over the past 2 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrianDegennaro08

Coach B, Glenn, and a friend told me I had my hips too low and was not able to stay over the bar in the start and the entire lift, which is why it would sweep around my knees in the first pull.

Since fixing my pull my hips are in a similar position as this lifter's: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dehwang/166077311/
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Well, you've been getting help from infinitely more knowledgeable people than me, that's for sure.

If you're doing your hips the same as the lifter's pic you linked, are you also doing the knees out like him as well?