Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Sam Brothers

Default hurt lower back... any advice?

Monday I did some push presses & cleans. And have been doing similar exercises other days this week except yesterday. My lower back felt like it was "bruised" after Monday but I thought it would get better.

Now it's hard to stand up straight. Bending over is fine. Now my back is spasm-ing too. Something feels very wrong.

Perhaps I lifted too much too many times? Is this a common symptom? I'll be away from exercise for the next 3 days. Anyone know what this means?
Sam Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Sam Brothers

you can delete this threat. sorry... i found the "recovery" threat and reposted.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Sam,
Let's get this straight.

You exercised Monday doing PPs and cleans, your back felt "bruised" after that workout, you continued to pile on similar exercises two out of the next three training days following, and you're wondering *why* your back is finally making you stop abusing it (through spasms and tension)?

Quote:
Perhaps I lifted too much too many times?
Yes.
Quote:
Is this a common symptom?
I'd say it is common enough after such abuse/overwork that I'd give it some time to rest and recover before you even consider posterior chain exercises.

Quote:
I'll be away from exercise for the next 3 days. Anyone know what this means?
It means your body is making your brain finally listen through the symptoms.

Getting it checked out is never a bad idea--especially if this is the first time OR if you have a history of this issue.

After you tell the doctor/physio/chiro/whomever the same story you said above, you'll likely hear some basic treatment options to help the spasm, told to rest it, and maybe even told to avoid lifting for good (depending on the practitioner).

If anything gets worse even though you are resting, then you'll definitely want to get it checked out. If it steadily improves through rest, then it may not be a big deal. Always better to be safe than sorry.

If you have not had a knowledgeable coach watch and approve your OL form, this incident should be a good enough reason to pay for a session (or three) and maybe get their help on some programming.

Oh yes, IMO, you should do the OLs in the manner that they are utilized best--*low reps*--NOT high reps a la CF workouts.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Sam Brothers

Sorry... yea, this kind of lifting is ALL new to me.

At first I thought my back was just "sore" like from a regular workout. The other days I lifted slightly differently and didn't think it would bother. It's only much after that I'm putting it all together (3 days total). ---Point taken though. I just hope I can get better soon.

The cause:
I joined crossfit to learn the different exercises and have some fun workouts. There is NO other gym in my area where I can learn or employ rubber weight lifting and kettle bells. None.

I'm there to "learn" right? But I swear, cross fit instructors are like drill sargents. The whole focus is on quantity over quality. Reps & time matter so much more than FORM. "Come'on you can lift more than that! Go Go Go"

I've been noticing this attitude more and more after my first 6 weeks. The fact is, this is the "mentality" they are taught by their overlords. I see it all throughout the crossfit community. They even think puking from a workout is funny or meaningful. I tried to bring this up on the crossfit forms and they attack me like it's a perfected lifestyle aka cult. My instructor is 'flawless' as well.

I wish I could find another source to learn from. I mean, all good people, but this attitude is so bone headed... It's a real dilemma I hate the regular gym.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Reed Winn

Sounds troublesome. I am lucky to lift at a crossfit gym run by guys that are cool with me just doing the oly lifts and strength training for the most part, although I am not against crossfit in the least.

I guess the only thing to do is to talk to them and explain that you really just want to do the lifts like a weightlifter, not a crossfitter.

I hurt my back awhile ago deadlifting, but your problem doesn't sound like mine in symptoms, it does sound like mine in that it probably came from rounding the back(not really sure what else it could come from) I'd read this:

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700 (wfs)

and try it. I doubt a back injury is a muscle problem but I have heard the starr rehab thing often works in a black box fashion for the back. I've also read rippetoe say back extentions are good for fixing the back.

In addition to ibuprofin and contrast baths and the usual. If you're not getting good first hand coaching and you don't have previous time with heavy deadlifts you might be rounding the back too much in the quick lifts and messing it up that way.
Reed Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

That is very problematic. Especially if you're trying to learn the Oly lifts. Doesn't sound like one of the better CF gyms to me, heh.

You should take it up with the trainers/owners.

As for recovery stuff, you already got some good advice here... go back very slowly.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Sam Edwards

sam i seem to be having the same problem. so i am trying to take a few days off. have you found any of this to be helpful?
Sam Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Sam Brothers

My back was hurt badly & it has scared me.

I have not exercised except for walking as of yet. Next week I will see a sports dr. and then do a little physical therapy to strengthen my core. After that I will see what exercises I can do. I doubt I'll be doing WODs anymore if they involve Olympic lifting. Mixing WODs with Olympic lifting is dangerous. It emphasizes reps & cardio over form. Weight lifting should not be done if you are tired.

The rest has been good but my lower back still hurts. 2 weeks now with no exercise. I expect a full recovery!

Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Did you talk to the owners/trainers?