Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
Dave Van Skike

Yes Greg...we hate him. I woudl love to see him learn even the power variations of the Oly lifts or even strongman HG stuff. He's so explosive it's ridiculous.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Steven Walczak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Steven -

I think Dave is referring very specifically to what would be termed speed work or dynamic effort work in the PL world - this is not the same thing as trying to squat fast. It's using much lighter weights to genuinely move fast. With OL squatting, you're attempting to move as quickly as possible - but with a heavy squat, you won't be moving remarkably quickly no matter how much you're trying (unless you're like the guy Dave describes, who we all hate).
I understand, I try to move as quickly as I can under heavy weight, i'm not trying to mimic powerlifting squat or anything but trying to work on my squat speed so I can get under the bar faster. I guess I got confused a bit, but I get it now.. thanks
Steven Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #13
Aaron Gainer

You may also want to tell us which bar style your squatting with. I would advocate high bar if your looking to increase pure leg strength especially for olympic lifting. Otherwise, low bar(rippetoe routine) works well for just squatting heavier poundages.
Aaron Gainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #14
Craig Loizides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Walczak View Post
I understand, I try to move as quickly as I can under heavy weight, i'm not trying to mimic powerlifting squat or anything but trying to work on my squat speed so I can get under the bar faster. I guess I got confused a bit, but I get it now.. thanks
For getting under the bar quickly you would be better off practicing something like tall cleans instead of fast squats because the bar isn't on your back when you're getting under it. You need to start pulling yourself under the bar while the bar is still on the way up.
Craig Loizides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Loizides View Post
For getting under the bar quickly you would be better off practicing something like tall cleans instead of fast squats because the bar isn't on your back when you're getting under it. You need to start pulling yourself under the bar while the bar is still on the way up.

Absolutely agreed on that one.

There's a lot of great commentary in this thread. Special Thanks to Greg and Dave for the thought and effort.

At one point, I thought about doing something similar to drop front squats or drop back squats to get myself accustomed to catching those weights in the hole. Then I realized that was compltely stupid and dangerous.

If the lifts are performed properly, the thighs are already close to parallel when you "catch" or recieve a snatch or clean.

To me, increase stability from that point to the hole is about a few movements - dead stop lifts from pins or off jerk boxes; and heavy snatch balances.

But nothing will replace simply practicing the full movements.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Steven Walczak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer View Post
You may also want to tell us which bar style your squatting with. I would advocate high bar if your looking to increase pure leg strength especially for olympic lifting. Otherwise, low bar(rippetoe routine) works well for just squatting heavier poundages.
I have been squatting high bar for several months, low bar is way too awkward for me.. and I will definitely try tall cleans
Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #17
Steven Walczak

Wanted to bump this.. been full squatting on lower weight with a heavy single at 205 lbs. However, I feel I might be leaning forward too much.. my stomach hits my thighs which I assume is normal for full squats but I seriously try to straighten my back the best I can. Is this a weight issue or a form issue?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #18
Greg Everett
Administrator

Steven -

If your stomach is hitting your thighs, you legs are probably directed too straight forward - your stomach should basically be dropping between your legs. This photo might help clarify - http://tomcampitelli.zenfolio.com/p1...d476#h3e2fb9d1

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
Steven Walczak

Sorry Greg, I should have clarified, my stomach(or I guess side of stomach) hits the side of my thighs .. which I assume is going on in your photo as well. I actually can feel the position you are in with higher weight so I guess it's just certain weight gets so heavy you can't be 100% straight.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
Steven Walczak

I figure I ask this since it has to do with squats. When people talk about sitting into a squat, how far back are we talking? I usually practice sitting back without weight the best I can, and sometimes I sit so far back I fall over.. now i'm not sure if this is normal and I have to adapt or i'm truely doing air squats too far back. Anyway, when i'm squatting with weight, I get into the hole and am between my thighs but it feels more like sitting down than back, am I doing something wrong?