Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Chris Salvato

i'm no expert but your technique definitely needs work. Feet are coming way too far off the ground on both techniques. The backwards jump needs to be eliminated immediately, especially since it is so drastic...you lose like -- a foot of space on the backwards jump

I'll leave more detailed analysis to the pros...
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Matt Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
I think i see a lil donkey kicking, but I'll leave the analysis up to more qualified people...

Also why aren't you split jerking?

I just recently started doing power jerks. For some reason they feel smooth than my split jerk.

And, what do you mean by donkey kicking?
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #13
Brian DeGennaro

Donkey kicking is pretty much picking your feet up off the ground way too excessively, which is leading to you jumping backwards.

You definitely need to work on form and getting stronger before you think about adding in jump squats. Jump squats are pretty much used once your jerk and clean have stalled, and this is with good technique too. For a beginner like you or I, this could take months to even years after establishing a solid base for Oly.

By the way, if you're ever in Syracuse, feel free to stop by, I think i can sneak you onto the platforms at the varsity gym on campus.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Matt Edwards
This message has been deleted by Matt Edwards.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #14
Matt Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Donkey kicking is pretty much picking your feet up off the ground way too excessively, which is leading to you jumping backwards.
So I should be emphasizing high knees instead of feet?
Old 12-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #15
Brian DeGennaro

No, you should be emphasizing hitting full extension and immediately getting into that quarter squat position or full squat position.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #16
Chris H Laing

Yea, what Brian said. The jump should only be like an inch off the ground, and its just there to get your feet into the landing position.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
Matt Edwards

That makes more sense now. I always thought since some consider the olympic lifts vertical jumps with weights, that one should be actually jumping to get the weights higher into the air.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Chris Salvato

this is true as both the O-lifts and jump achieve a violent triple extension...but the o-lifts do differ from the jump as they want to go from full extension to triple flexion quite quickly...like a split second. The feet should come less than an inch off the ground and land in the same place you took off, just with a wider stance for your squat.

its quite unique but the translation to jumping is still huge.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #19
Greg Everett
Administrator

Matt -

Don't dip so far down. When you get set, take in your air, secure the torso, and sit back on your heels as far as possible. Dip without leaning forward at all, and drive back up the same way. You're pushing your hips back nd dropping your chest slightly, and the dip is too deep - you're past a point where you can reasonably expect a quick transition and fast drive.

Finish that drive all the way - keep pushing with those legs until you can't push anymore. You're quitting a bit too soon and pushing with the arms.

You do a good job of not allowing the bar to pull you forward with all the above - but that's because you still can at this weight. It won't keep working much longer.

Also, do watch the feet - stomp the heels back into the floor and don't lift the feet so much - you're sweeping them back behind you which is why you're landing on your toes and falling forward - your body stays in the same place but your feet go backward (same thing on your clean).

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
Matt Edwards

My next clean&jerk session is either going to be Monday or Tuesday. So I'll take all this advice and see how it goes. Hopefully it helps my snatch too since I'm donkey kicking in that too a little, but only jumping back about 3 inches.

Might try split jerking since I haven't done it since recently getting my weight lifting shoes, maybe they'll feel much better now.

EDIT: Probably going to follow the CA WOD, I'll get a jerk video up when they have us do it.