Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 12-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
Frank Needham

If you're not passing out within minutes, 15-20, at the most. Then you are just plain not working hard enough. Every night when I hit the sack I'm sleeping withing minutes. The schedule I keep guarantees me to pass out almost right away.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #22
Chris Salvato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
If you're not passing out within minutes, 15-20, at the most. Then you are just plain not working hard enough. Every night when I hit the sack I'm sleeping withing minutes. The schedule I keep guarantees me to pass out almost right away.
Erm, i somewhat disagree. While I'm no expert on sleep its not that simple. Hormones, mental anguish, stress, low self esteem, a bad day, a lifestyle that is constantly in strife -- any of these are unrelated to training and can make sleep an issue.

Sometimes I can't sleep for an hour or so -- then I put on a warmer pair of pants or take off a layer and I pass out within minutes -- body was just too hot/cold to sleep that way or something.

If you're having a chronic sleep problem, squatting more might help....but i don't think its the solution you should really be looking for if you're up all night worrying if your light bill isn't going to be paid tomorrow -- or worrying if your barracks might get bombed.

I would explore Derek's personal life/training a bit more before saying he doesn't work hard enough...but that's just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Ugh. I know.

"sleep is overrated" is just a thing I'm trying out. if meditating or yoga worked I'd be all over it like a wet t-shirt.
I'm a bit confused. Can you define "worked"? What exactly are you hoping to get out of your meditation or yoga? Pseudo-sleep effects/faster recovery?

Meditation and yoga do work....just depends on what you want them to do. Meditation (even though I think its a waste of time..) brings you down to a relaxed state pretty quickly and easily. Lowers heart rate, thats for damn sure. Yoga is useful (albeit not optimal) on increasing flexibility, active and passive, as well as a relaxation technique similar to meditating.

IMHO, anything "works" it depends on what you are looking for. Everything has its place...
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 AM   #23
Jamila Bey

I enjoyed Ferriss' book- though clearly not written for someone who makes her living as a journalist! (He recommends a news "fast" where you strike up conversations by having your colleagues tell you what's important in the news.)

I do read- non-fiction before bed, but between that and nursing my son, I'm out before my head hits the pillow.

Reading, my weekly candelit bath (the ONLY time I get to relax while wet!), and soft music are my top faves. I used to rather enjoy more strenuous nighttime activities, but I'd trade almost anything for sleep these days!
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:40 AM   #24
Brian DeGennaro

I use the time before bed to [day] dream. Why wouldn't you use that one free time you have to have the best and fantastic dreams? Doing that has given me some pretty sweet REM dreams and it keeps me bored if I'm taking longer than normal to fall asleep.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #25
Patrick Donnelly

Stretching or foam rolling before bed seems to help. However, the best thing I've done was to black out the window with construction paper, then cover all of the little lights in the room. In a dorm room with two students (therefore, two computers, two alarm clocks, etc.) it made such a huge difference. Previously, I was waking up at least once during the middle of the nght most nights of the week for over two months. Slept like a baby since I blacked out the light. It can be the middle of the day and I can take a nap in complete darkness. Kicks ass.

I know that Garrett also recommends no electric things plugged in within six feet of your head, but I don't have space in here for that right now. If I could, I would, since I'm sure it couldn't hurt.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #26
Daniel Olmstead

Puzzle Quest. But lately I've been having dreams about it, so maybe I need to go back to Michael Pollan books. Puts me straight to sleep.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #27
Mike ODonnell

Guinness and Family Guy.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #28
Kevin Perry

A book + some classical music or the Eagles.

But I have chronic insomnia and deal with phases of sleep problems so there is always something new to experiment with.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #29
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Stretching or foam rolling before bed seems to help. However, the best thing I've done was to black out the window with construction paper, then cover all of the little lights in the room. In a dorm room with two students (therefore, two computers, two alarm clocks, etc.) it made such a huge difference. Previously, I was waking up at least once during the middle of the nght most nights of the week for over two months. Slept like a baby since I blacked out the light. It can be the middle of the day and I can take a nap in complete darkness. Kicks ass.

I know that Garrett also recommends no electric things plugged in within six feet of your head, but I don't have space in here for that right now. If I could, I would, since I'm sure it couldn't hurt.
Haha yeah black construction paper. I remember telling someone to do that.. worked out well, eh?

I agree with removing the cell phones/electronics though. I try to place my phone at least 6 feet away; noticable difference in sleep quality.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #30
Jason Tanner

I'll be good to go if I'm in bed by 8 and home at 11.
Jason Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote