Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 12-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Garrett Smith

Greg,
Those are good signs that you should likely avoid eggs in general as well. FWIW.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #12
Darryl Shaw

Greg,

How much fruit is your girlfriend eating on her 100% low-carb paleo diet? I'm just wondering because a lot of people on low carb diets reduce their consumption of fruits and berries in an attempt to get their carb intake as low as possible and this can have quite a detrimental effect on your skin condition as it significantly reduces your vitamin C intake.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
Mike ODonnell

Acme usually is a sign of inflammation also.....sugar increases it, stress increases it and so does a overbalance of Omega 6s to 3s. Standard eggs are usually higher in omega 6s. Maybe some other omega 6s like nuts are too high as well? Fish Oil can help balance and keep from excess AA formation (inflammatory omega 6).
Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
Greg Battaglia

Darryl,
She doesn't eat much fruit, especially this time of the year. Recently I had her cut out all fruit and sub in more veggies. She shouldn't have any problems at all with vitamin c, she eats lots of greens.

Mike,
Yeah, I have her on CLO right now and I'm going to have her take some fish oil as well. As of yesterday all eggs, and nuts are out.

I also just started her on some vitamin K2 taken with the CLO. That actually helped her skin already. Might be just a coincidence, but this morning when I spoke with her she said her skin is clearer already. I think Fat-soluble vitamins have a major impact on skin health. I don't know why exactly, but when I get in my CLO and vitamin K2 my skin looks much better than without it.

Thanks guys, hopefully this crap clears up for her.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
Steve Liberati

Greg, make sure she is drinking enough good clean water (if there is such a thing!). At least a gallon a day. I notice when I don't drink at least a gallon a day, I feel like crap and break out more than normal. Sleep is just as important, but nothing you don't already know.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Frank Needham

Clindamicyn. It ain't natural but the stuff works very well on acne. In the past, when undergoing other medical procedures, a case of acne got me that was overwhelming. My Dr rx'd Clindamycin, I picked it up and started applying it. Worked just as it was supposed to. Give it a shot, after she talks with her Doc of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clindamycin
Old 12-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
Grissim Connery

For me, acne is very closely tied to sleep. if i lose a lot of sleep for an extended period, then about 4 days later my breakout surfaces. normally it's like finals week or something (like it is right now), that ends, then about 3-4 days later it all surfaces. the compounding stress of no sleep and tests is just so brutal on my body. i've noticed that if i'm having trouble getting adequate meals in while studying crazy amounts in the library, i try to keep some kind of fat source with me at all times. IFing during those times is just too rough and can lead to mental instability. if i just keep drinking a little olive oil or something whenever i get a hunger pang then it helps.

i just always tie acne to stress. if i'm going to have to miss sleep for school, then i will try to eliminate all other unecessary stressors.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
For me, acne is very closely tied to sleep. if i lose a lot of sleep for an extended period, then about 4 days later my breakout surfaces. normally it's like finals week or something (like it is right now), that ends, then about 3-4 days later it all surfaces. the compounding stress of no sleep and tests is just so brutal on my body. i've noticed that if i'm having trouble getting adequate meals in while studying crazy amounts in the library, i try to keep some kind of fat source with me at all times. IFing during those times is just too rough and can lead to mental instability. if i just keep drinking a little olive oil or something whenever i get a hunger pang then it helps.

i just always tie acne to stress. if i'm going to have to miss sleep for school, then i will try to eliminate all other unecessary stressors.
Interesting take - I've noticed throughout my school and flying career that I've done way better with enough sleep, rather than skipping sleep to try and study more. I guess I just got rid of the things that during normal waking hours were preventing me from studying, and focused on my studies to ensure I got 7-8 hours a night. Personally I would rather feel refreshed and well slept for a test than drained and cloudy in the head.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #19
Grissim Connery

i mean i'm all about sleep if i can get it. the problem is that if i have not read any of the material yet and i have a test tomorrow, then sleeping 8 hours is not going to help for the test.

granted i should have just properly adjusted my schedule so that the situation would not have happened, but life happens.

last week i went to bed each night at 6pm, woke up at 10pm, and studied until my finals which were at noon each day. i dind't want this to happen, but i was up 30+ hours getting a paper done sunday/monday that threw off everything. then i capped of thursday/friday with a 16 hour straight paper writing bonanza after 3 hours of sleep.

i'm taking less classes next semester.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote