Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Eddie Clark

Default Snatch C&J assistance

The following videos were taken during the same workout session. I did 20 snatches on the minute for 20 minutes. Then I rested 10 minutes and did 20 clean and jerks on the minute for 20 minutes. Percentages used were 75%, 80%, 85%, 90% of max. I upped the percentage every five reps.

All of the following links are work family safe.

C&J 175 number 14 of 20

C&J 185 number 18 20

Snatch 145 18 of 20

Snatch 145 number 15 of 20

The final video is of me attempting to PR the next day in the snatch. I attempt 175 twice. You will have to forgive the video because it has me hanging out between attempts. The first attempt occurs at 20 seconds in and the second attempt occurs at 1:15 in.

The attempts at 175# were my first ever trying that weight. At that weight I could actually pull myself under the bar during the third pull. I think you can see the difference in the speed with which I get under, or try to get under, the bar in the 145# and the 175# attempts. I think it may be because the mass of the bar is such that I can actually pull myself under the bar versus pulling the bar over my head. I think I tend to bang the bar out too much during the second pull. With the lighter weight I was able to "reel" it back in. But with 175 I am not strong enough to pull it over my head and not strong enough to muscle it back over head when it is out front slightly.

All comments and suggestions are more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

P.S.
I am going to jump on board with the Performance Menu program starting today. I believe I was killing myself with too much volume.
Eddie Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Derek Maffett

Your back angle keeps shifting when you start your pull - avoid that.

The other mistake you seem to have noticed, that you seem to be banging your hips into the bar, throwing the bar forward. Jump up, don't do a kettlebell swing. Make sure you keep the bar pulled in to your body.

All things considered, these were pretty good lifts.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Jamie Jamieson

I thought they looked pretty good. Your arms looked soft on the catch. My advice would be to get aggressive at the bottom. Convince yourself you can do iit, tighten up and complete the lift. I would add in some drop snatches into your training to get confident catching near max lifts.
Jamie Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 AM   #4
Eddie Clark

I have a messed up right shoulder. So I imagine that tends to make me a bit apprehensive getting under the bar. Good eye on that Jamie. Glenn Pendlay made the same observations.

Thanks guys for the input. I don't often get another set of trained eyes to watch me lift.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Clark View Post
P.S.
I am going to jump on board with the Performance Menu program starting today. I believe I was killing myself with too much volume.
What are you goals?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Eddie Clark

I want to get stronger at the O-lifts, both in technique and weight, and to take a break from the heavy MetCon I have been doing. I am concerned that my shoulder is going to hold me back more than I think.

My lift goals: I would like to get body weight snatch, 205, and 250 C+J. The jerk is going to be my biggest challenge I think. I would like to get my front squat in over 300. Right now I am at an ugly 265.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

What is the deal with your shoulder if I may ask? What hurts it? What do you do for it, i.e. icing/prehab/rehab...etc

Do you have things you specifically have to stay conditioned for? I ask because with those goals I'd lean towards a program that is Oly focused rather than the CA WOD which is an Oly program with some conditioning mixed in. Greg has some programs in his book that are just Oly focued, you have all the resources with Coach Burgener.

I'd go as far to say maybe even a kick your ass front squat program to bring up those numbers while only doing technical/light stuff with the classic lifts in the meanwhile. 265 to 300 I think can be done within 2 months if you really focus.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Eddie Clark

My shoulder hurts whenever I raise my arm above my head. I really need to get it looked at. I don't do any kind of rehap/prehap or special care for it. I can use it if I warm up for about 20-30 minutes doing push ups, kettlebell swings, light overhead squats etc. But once I am done doing a session and I cool back down I have a hard time even using a computer mouse. I haven't done anything overhead this whole week. But the shoulder has been a nagging issue for a few years now. Snatching and overhead squats aggravate it quite a bit. Oh well.

I manage and am head trainer at Rogue Fitness, a crossfit affiliate in Columbus OH, so I need to keep some metcon base.

I have thought about doing a strength based program like you mentioned also. I am probably going to put the CA program on hold also. This week my shoulder has officially exploded. I have a hard time even demonstrating pressing movements with a PVC pipe.

I see a visit to a doc here in the near future.

Thanks for the info.