Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #61
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fury View Post
Allen, I apologize to both you and Will and all others who found my comments excessive.

Please feel free to delete my post if you feel it is necessary to maintain the decorum of the board.

My funny bone was tickled. I typed while laughing, not in derision, but in honest amusement. Type is inherently inflexible at conveying emotion in the varied and wonderful ways that human speech and body language do. It was not my desire to hurt anyone's feelings and I sincerely apologize.
Ben;

I found your comments spot on. MOD's these days are getting really touchy, not sure why, but I enjoy all your posts, so please, stay at it.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #62
Ben Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Ben;

I found your comments spot on. MOD's these days are getting really touchy, not sure why, but I enjoy all your posts, so please, stay at it.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jay!

I fully understand the moderator insisting on maintaining a civil tone. I've seen boards go down the tubes rather quickly when personal attacks, foul language, and/or general snarkiness were permitted.

If anyone wants to discuss the merits of Joel Fuhrman's work vs Gary Taubes... without lapsing into personal attacks or pseudoscience... I'm sure we can do that.
http://www.bettercise.com/

“People who do not eat butterflies will wear their clothes the wrong way, and people who wear their clothes the wrong way are inviting lemmings inside.”
~Muzhduk the Ugli the Third~
Ben Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #63
Allen Yeh

Ben,

Thanks.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #64
Will Moore

Ben, the point I was making in regards to the rising obesity rates among the Japanese youth is that it's not the carbs that are causing it...its the addition of a lot of fat into a diet already high in carbohydrates. The main caloric contributor in western style fast foods is fried fat. The Japanese who still consume a traditional diet, which is VERY high in carbohydrates in the form of soba noodles and rice and very low in fat, are not obese and are not afflicted with metabolic sydrome or diabetes...its a fact, Ben, regardless of what your anti-carb agenda is. However, this DOES NOT mean I'm saying we should all eat like the traditional Japanese. For someone of a different genetic background, that many carbs could certainly prove disasterous. So, if I may emphasize once again, I don't think you can just assign rules for nutrition that are set in stone and the same for all people, regardless of your ethnicity or genetics. I'm sure you are familiar with the work of Weston Price....he points out the good health of people eating traditional diets, whether they are low or high in carbohydrates.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #65
David Mathews

An observation that I've made over the last year, including some of my own family members and other nutrition boards is that the people that scream the loudest that a high carb diet can be healthy are ...............addicted to carbs in the worst way! IMHO
David Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #66
Will Moore

Wow, you guys are ruthless......cut me some slack, already !! Thanks, Dave, that really made my day Looks like I'm done here. I'll start a new thread about something else, maybe something less controversial.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #67
Allen Yeh

I think one of the things being missed here is that IMO there is a difference between the carbs in the rice that Japanese might eat and the carbs you find in typical Western diet type foods.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #68
Allen Yeh

Before I forget I've been meaning to ask everyone what they consider low carb and what they consider low fat?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #69
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Before I forget I've been meaning to ask everyone what they consider low carb and what they consider low fat?
My definition:

Low fat -- <30% of daily calories (standard nutritional recommendation), extreme low fat would be the<10% Ornish diet.

Low carb -- < 20% of calories; extreme low carb: sufficient to cause ketosis. In personal experience, things like leafy greens and such don't seem to matter that much; things like bread, pasta, and sugars seem to matter a great deal.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote