Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #61
Daniel Labuz

December 19, 2008 – Recovery

C2 for 45 minutes @ 60-65% MHR

Stats: 2:48.1/500m, 8031m, 415 calories, 127 AHR, 17 s/m
Old 12-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #62
Daniel Labuz

FitDay totals over first 11 days:

Grams Calories %-Cals

Calories

Fat
65%

Saturated
20%

Polyunsaturated
12%

Monounsaturated
23%

Carbohydrate
9%

Dietary Fiber

Protein
25%
Old 12-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #63
Daniel Labuz

December 20, 2008 – Shoveling

Stats: Time: 47:19, AHR: 170, MHR: 198, calories: 758

Nothing like getting a job done whilst getting a killer workout. Although I do love shoveling snow for some odd reason, maybe it's because I start fully clothed and by the time I'm at the middle I already lost 5 articles of clothing
Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #64
Daniel Labuz

December 22, 2008 – Strength, Power

Warm Up: 3 Rounds: Barbell Complex 2 @ 75# 1 @ 95# Rest 2-3 Minutes between each Complex: 6x Hang Power Clean, 6x Overhead Squat, 6x Back Squat, 6x Good Morning, 6x Bent-Over Row, 6x Deadlift.

Workout:

(1) 10x3 Deadlift
a. 135, 165, 185, 205, 205, 215, 215, 235, 245, 205#

(2) 50 sandbag get-ups @ 60# (25 each shoulder)

Cooldown: 50 calories C2

Little light-headed during the deadlifts but nothing too major, I suspect the cold has something to do with it, or not who knows.

First time doing a BB complex @ 95#, and it went well even if it did leave me fighting for oxygen during the rows

Took a video of me doing some deadlifts for form check but it came out extremely dark and when I tried to brighten it up and upload it to youtube it just whited out 2/3rds of the screen, maybe I'll fix it someday
Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #65
Daniel Labuz

December 23, 2008 – Power Endurance
Warm Up: Row 10 minutes @ 70-75% MHR

Workout:

(1) 500m row for time
a. 1:35.8, 34 s/m
b. Splits:
i. 100m – 1:35.0/189HR
ii. 200m – 1:32.0/198HR
iii. 300m – 1:34.0/199HR
iv. 400m – 1:37.5/198HR
v. 500m – 1:40.5/197HR

Cooldown: Airdyne 50 calories.

.1 second slower than the last time I did 500m for time almost 3 months ago (Sept. 29th), disappointing to say the least. Didn't put enough heart into it I guess, wasn't feeling it today.

Going to be gone all day tomorrow with family, Happy Holidays folks.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #66
Daniel Labuz

December 26, 2008 – Strength

Warm Up: 2 Rounds: 15x Air Squats, 10x Pull Ups, 10x Dips, 10x Ball Slam @ 12#

Workout:
(1) 10x3 Bench Press
a. 95, 105, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 130, 125#

(2) 10x3 Front Squats
a. 95, 105, 115, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 135, 135#

Good time in the gym today, especially after all the holiday food I enjoyed too much of over the last 2 days.

My brother came over today, and will be coming over during the week on some days, so it will be good to have company in the gym, and help him get stronger at the same time.

Sometimes it's just not too fun sitting in a garage alone at 20 degrees between sets.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #67
Daniel Labuz

Soon my log will come to a close, which is good and bad news more good than bad.

I will be moving up to Lake Placid come Friday or Saturday which means I won't be able to work in the gym anymore (Although I may come down once a week to do some lifting, but that's still up to decision I really dislike driving 4 hours one way), but at the same time I will be right next to the mountains which is where I want to be.

Yesterday I hiked up cobble hill at night with some future roommates and it was quite fun even though there was little to see at the top due to fog and darkness, but overall a good relaxing experience from gym life, I love to lift but I'd rather be on a mountain.

Lifting helps me get stronger and more confidence for when the real challenge comes in the mountains, which is why I enjoy doing it so much and also lifting more and more each time has it's own accomplishments in and of themselves. Although I didn't achieve most of my goals I had planned, I still completed some of them which is always satisfying. Just to recap what I did or didn't accomplish in these last 6 weeks

Sub 1:30 500m row (Best is 1:35.2 set almost 2 months ago)
This was actually suppose to be 1:35.7, tried it again a few days ago and got a 1:35.8, at least I didn't get worse.

Sub 10 minute 1 1/2 mile run (Best is 11:20 set back over 4 months ago)
This was the hardest one, I didn't achieve it but I did take about 30 seconds off

115# Overhead Squat (Best is 95#)
I wasn't sure on this one, I was stuck at 95# for a while, but week and half ago I put up 115# 3 times and it wasn't that hard

200# Back Squat (Never set back squat but best loads are 165x3)
This one I'm not sure yet, I will attempt to do 200x3 on Wednesday (My last full lifting day), but so far my best is 190x3

Sub 35 Minute on The Loop (4.75mi of hilly roads running)
I stopped running due to the fact that my five fingers are destroyed (they just fell apart at the seams), and didn't bother running in any other shoe. I kind of fell of the endurance portion, I figured when I move all I will be doing is endurance stuff, so I just wanted to get as strong as possible before then, which makes sense to me.

Sub 7:30 2000m row (Never did 2000m row before)
I beat this right after I made those goals, it didn't come easy, but looking back maybe it wasn't as bad as I once thought. I might try it again someday.

BW (165#) Bench Press (135x5 is best result)
I put up 160# a few weeks ago, not bad I say. I could probably put up 165#, so I would say this one is beat.

135# Overhead Press (115x2 is best result)
I put this one here since I wanted something way out there, but possibly achievable, I don't know if I could do this but I will definitely try come Wednesday.

BW (165#) Push Press
I put up 145# quite a few days ago, and almost got the second rep but my arms gave out 3/4 way up and I was drained physically. My form on this is my limiting factor, sometimes it flies up and other times it seems like a lot heavier than it should be. I didn't get that completed, but I might try tomorrow if I feel up to it. I have to try and push off the heels instead of my forefoot I believe, and also use my hips a lot more

Overall I achieved so far, 3 out of 9 which seems like a failure, but that's a .333 average pretty damn good in baseball terms

I cut the nutrition thing a little short, when Christmas came around I just wanted to have a good time and ended up eating a lot of unnecessary food. I don't regret it as it was delicious, being so strict around Holidays isn't really my thing, so kudos to those who can keep your composure.

I still eat mainly paleo, but I started using recoverite again since it always helped before. I also started eating more fruit again, I love fruit and that was probably the hardest thing about constricting carbs, I could literally eat a pound bag of raspberries and not even flinch, maybe 2 pounds.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #68
Daniel Labuz

December 29, 2008 – Power, Practice

Warm Up: 5 Minutes C2

Workout:

(1) Snatch Practice (Power Snatch)

a. 2x5 Hang Power Snatch @ 45#, 55#, 65#
b. 5x2 Power Snatch @ 75#
c. 5x1 Power Snatch @ 85#
d. 5x1 Power Snatch @ 95#
e. 1x1 Power Snatch @ 100#

For some reason I felt like I had to get a 100# power snatch (I don't think I've ever done more than 75# before), it wasn't that difficult and it felt nice. Some day I hope to do an actual snatch and not just a power snatch.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #69
Daniel Labuz

December 31, 2008 – Strength

Warm Up: Kettlebell Circuit @ 30# KB’s 2 Rounds: 8x Swing, 8x Goblet Squat, 4x Clean and Jerk Each Arm, 4x Turkish Get Up Each Arm

Workout:

(1) Work up to 1RM Deadlift

a. 5x 135#, 4x 185#, 3x 235#, 2x 265#, 1x 285#, 1x300# (failed 2x)

I was going to do the big three today (deadlift, front squat, shoulder press) but I didn't feel up to the challenge after failing 300# twice, I wasn't physically drained but mentally I was done for and once that goes there's no point at least for me.

I probably doubted myself into not doing it by thinking too much before the first attempt, I try to meditate and just clear my mind before heavy lifts but this time I couldn't stop the random thoughts popping into my head and it distracted me, which inevitably probably made me fail. The 2nd attempt was just out of greed and probably desperation and I got it probably an inch off the floor before I just let go and gave it up.

Probably not the best thing to do before leaving lifting for a good while, but it's not good if I injure myself for some stupid number. I need to lay down and have a good think to get my mind set again for the real challenge, sometimes thinking can screw you up just as much as it can help sort things out.

This is my last entry as I am going to be gone either by Friday or Saturday to Lake Placid, so I would like to thank everyone at Catalyst Athletics as they are all knowledgeable willing folks that have much to teach to the new generation of lifters and athletes. I have learned a lot these past few months being here and I owe to it to the members of this forum and Catalyst Athletics.

I plan to be back early May for another go around with a 12-week strength/lifting rebuilding program nothings set in stone and I might just stay in Lake Placid for an undetermined time, until then I'll leave you with something to think about (that is if anyone actually reads my rambling)

"We must create immediately an atmosphere of freedom so that you can live and find out for yourselves what is true, so that you become intelligent, so that you are able to face the world and understand it, not just conform to it, so that inwardly, deeply, psychologically you are in constant revolt; because it is only those who are in constant revolt that discover what is true, not the man who conforms, who follows some tradition." - Krishnamurti
Old 01-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #70
Robert Johnson

Yeah, people read it. You should keep us updated at some points, if possible. Mountain photos are good too.
Robert Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote