Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
Júlíus G. Magnússon

You shouldn't be stalling yet with those weights.

Work on technique: Re-read the book. There's tons of info there and it'll probably take more than one read to get it all in. Did for me...

Eat more.

Keep going for like 12 more weeks.
Júlíus G. Magnússon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
Chris Puckett

I think you should eat way more and continue with the novice program. It looks like you are simply not eating enough. At your age and weight I would throw eating clean or paleo completely out the window. Eat burgers and fries, drink milkshakes, buy a good protein powder and drink it 2-3 x per day, revel in the depravity of 5000+ calories per day. I would post this same question on Rip's forum but with a better explanation of your diet, hes likely to say the same thing.
Chris Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
Justin Chebahtah

@Chris - You're probably right. Im only eating slightly more than when I was 20 lbs lighter so its almost definately the (lack of) food. I'm getting plenty of rest 98% of the time so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. At least thanksgiving will be a great way to kick-off my gluttony!

@Julius - Sound advice. I'm in the middle of re-re-reading starting strength. I also pick up "Olympic Weightlifting" from this site and have read through that.

Thanks again everybody.
Justin Chebahtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Put olive oil or almond butter on everything. That'll pick your cals up fast.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
Justin Chebahtah

Old 11-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
Chris Puckett

For example, I am 33, I as well just finished a 12 week SS cycle, my previous 1rm max in the squat was 255, I am now doing my work sets at 300. My previous DL 1RM(that I did once) was 305, and my work sets are 330. My bench p, press, power clean all have shot up, and I attribute this to eating 4000/cal + and working hard. I went from 180 18%BF to 204 22+BF%, and now losing the fat. Gaining this much weight costs me money too, my Burberry suits dont fit me now, and I cant really plunk down for new ones. What I am saying is, if a very average 33 yr old can pack on weight and increase lifts you are in a very good place to do even better. I think its very easy to get down in the weeds of nutrition, but you are in a very different place, 98% of these nutrition articles are geared towards people wanting to lose weight and eat healthy. If I only would have known this when I was 24....
Chris Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #17
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Chebahtah View Post
Thanks for the response Steven. Should I up the protein as well or will a nice boost in fat do the trick? Hmm...actually I think I'll try just upping the fat for a week or two then mess with the protein if need be.

EDIT: Fitday'd my diet fyi; results as follows:

Fat: 225g
CHO: 180
Prot: 250g

Consists of steak, tuna, whole eggs, whole milk cheese, whole milk, broccoli/green beans for veggies, olive oil, almonds, some fruit and some bread every now and then to make sandwhiches
Just wanted to say that I agree with what Chris is saying. There is a time and place for worrying about what you're eating. That time and place is basically everywhere but a Starting Strength cycle. So, if you don't feel like you're about to puke, you should be stuffing your face with basically what ever.
Júlíus G. Magnússon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #18
Justin Chebahtah

Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
Justin Chebahtah

Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #20
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Chebahtah View Post
Anybody have any other tips for upping the cals?
Throw some coconut milk in the shakes as well. A coconut and almond butter shake with some blueberries and protein powder can deliver a pretty potent caloric dose...
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote