Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
tom hurst

Default Stronger than all!!!!

Yep, I have decided to start a training log here after a lot of debate. Nothing against anyone but Ive always kind of felt blogging was, well... gay, just personal opinion, not trying to offend anyone. But also I have seen that it can be a good way of keeping track of things and getting some feed back from like minds around here. Just a little background 32/m/6ft/198ish, Firefighter and was a Marine before that. I am currently doing WS4SB and have so for about 2 1/2 months and have seen tremendous size and strength gains on it, with a descent diet. I have always been a slim guy and have now finally found a good program to follow. I was doing Xfit for about 7 months before I started Defrancos. Liked xfit for awhile, until I lost 15lbs of body building muscle, got weaker than I already was and and chose intensity over form and hurt my lower back. Its finally been feeling good constantly here now for a couple of weeks. Shit just thinking of my back not hurting makes me want to go hit the gym. Nothing is better than training when you have no injuries! Well didnt mean to be so long winded here. Ill post as needed I guess. Hell I dont know maybe everyday maybe once a week. Did ME upper body today. Here are my lift totals so far. All raw (no belt, gloves, straps), and good form.

Bench 275x2 (that was today)
Squat 315x2 (last week)
375x1 (3 weeks ago)
tom hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Derek Simonds

Tom as gay as it may seem I have been keeping my workout log on here for almost 2 years and the feedback and support has been great.

Looks like you have a solid base and I will be interested in seeing your workouts. A whole bunch of came to the same conclusion you did on crossfit, strength, size and injuries.

Like I said I look forward to seeing your training.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Tom,
Agreed with Derek, although I haven't had my training journal on here as near as long. Completely agreed in that the commentary here is awesome. Several here are great coaches - Greg Everett is absolutely outstanding. Agreed about the same conclusions with the training. I've followed a hybrid very similiar to the CA WODs now for nearly 18 months and I've had great results.

Looking forward to seeing your training. Do you incorporate the olympic lifts into your training? I like West Side to an extent and have actually trained with Louie and several of his athletes. Someday, for kicks and giggles I might try the Metal Militia 21 days of hell. But I'm still not game as the volume is brutal and I like being able to walk and play actively with my children without achy joints.

You obviously need some met-con with your work. Do you do any kettlebell work? Or any active recovery between training days?

Go hard and heavy.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
tom hurst

Today was an outstanding day at the gym, even though its a globogym. Got a new training partner and looks like a good one, former football player @ OK state. Looks to do the same type of training and brings intensity like I do to the gym. This is good since Ive been training pretty much alone for a few yrs, cant seem to get anyone that will BRING IT!, except for my soon to be wife but she mainly does Xfit. He is quite a bit stronger but this is good, it will force me to work harder. Hope it works out. Ive seen what a good training partner can do for you.

Arden, to answer your question, no met-con right now, we play full court bball at work and football. That is enough for me. Might start doing CA WOD met-cons eventually. No kettlebells @ globogym, use to sub dumbell swings until I hurt my back doing xfit, and yes I still do some Oly lifts. Todays workout

hanging power cleans 3x5-7 155lbs
36in box jumps w/25lb in each hand 5x7
Knee high box stepups 3x10 each leg 135lbs
back extensions 3x12 25lb plate
leg raises 3x15
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Good work Tom. The 36" box jumps with 50lbs is awesome. I'm happy to get my large arse on a 36" box. Did it recently with eyes on the 40". Given that I outweigh you by a good 50 pounds i guess that sorta makes us even.

I hear you on training with stronger guys - it's very motivating. Over the past three years I've had the luxury of training with Phil Pfister and Brian Siders. If you don't know who those two guys are, do a google search. They're pretty strong. I was certainly the weakling in the trio. Except for deadlifts and high rep heavy squats. They destroyed me in the implement training though. It was fun though and very inspiring. Watching Brian rep bench 585 for 5 with no shirt caused me to do multiple double takes.

Keep up the good work.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hurst View Post
Today was an outstanding day at the gym, even though its a globogym. Got a new training partner and looks like a good one, former football player @ OK state. Looks to do the same type of training and brings intensity like I do to the gym. This is good since Ive been training pretty much alone for a few yrs, cant seem to get anyone that will BRING IT!, except for my soon to be wife but she mainly does Xfit. He is quite a bit stronger but this is good, it will force me to work harder. Hope it works out. Ive seen what a good training partner can do for you.

Arden, to answer your question, no met-con right now, we play full court bball at work and football. That is enough for me. Might start doing CA WOD met-cons eventually. No kettlebells @ globogym, use to sub dumbell swings until I hurt my back doing xfit, and yes I still do some Oly lifts. Todays workout

hanging power cleans 3x5-7 155lbs
36in box jumps w/25lb in each hand 5x7
Knee high box stepups 3x10 each leg 135lbs
back extensions 3x12 25lb plate
leg raises 3x15
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
tom hurst

Thanks Arden for the compliment. Yes I have heard of Phil Pfister, The only American to win worlds strongest man in what 20yrs?, Firefighter too at that. You have to be pretty damn strong yourself to even train with those guys. Badass! Didnt get a good workout in today, felt a little beat down from work yesterday was on ambulance and didnt get much sleep last night. Todays workout.

dumbbell bench max reps- 19, 15, 17 70lb dbs
latpulldowns supersetted w/ reverse flys 3x12-8 heavy weight
lateral raises 1 continuous set 10 reps each 30, 25, 20, 15 lbs
heavy shrugs 3x10-15 105lb dbs supersetted w/ ropepulldowns 3x12-15.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
tom hurst

This is 3rd week in a row for olympic back squat. Didnt improve from last week so will be switching to new ME leg exercise, maybe deads dont know yet. Todays workout

squat work up to max set of 3 315x1 (didnt feel good so didnt even try for other 2)
back extensions 3x15
Ab work
Went and helped Mom move a bunch of heavy crap! LOL!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
tom hurst

ME Upper Day. Todays workout

floor presses- worked up to 265x3
close grip bench tricep death x2
superset seated cable rows and cable reverse flys 3x8-12
alt. db curls heavy, 10, 8
incline db curls complete the rack started at 30's
ab work
Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #9
tom hurst

Yesterdays workout. Dynamic leg day. I was not at my usual station yesterday, they dont have a lot of wkout equipment. Got the job done though.

tire pull 7 sec sprint w/30 sec rest x12 w/ 80lb tire on concrete
bulgarian split squats 3x8
hit tire with 20lb sledge 3x15
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
tom hurst

Felt good today. Feel bigger, I have definitely put on some more weight. I havent weighed myself this week, last week was at 198, maybe over 200 hundred now. I have been really pounding down the food, noticed fat gain around midsection too. Oh well, thinking of doing 2 or 3 weeks of velocity diet before wedding anyways. Todays workout

db bench 3xmax 20, 18, 20 really burned on last set
superset 3x15
a. wide grip seated cable rows
b. face pulls
superset 3x10 this about killed my shoulders
a. 45lb plate front raise
b. 45lb db seated press
c. 25lb db lateral raises
superset 3x15
a. 75lb ez bar curl
b. cable kick backs
abwork