Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Trygve Lunde

thank you. also one thing im wondering about. Does Glycemic load matter when it comes to whole food? like grapes, melon etc. ? i see art de vany recommend those two fruits and they are the highest in GLoad
Trygve Lunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
Derek Weaver

Yes, it all matters. And at the same time none of it matters.

This is all getting into very small stuff. Fruit and starch around workouts. A more targeted approach is becoming popular and keeps things simple.

Last edited by Derek Weaver; 01-06-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: whoops
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
Trygve Lunde

hehe ok
Old 01-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
Patrick Yeung

Yeah, try it out loosely, and refine as needed.

Dont sweat the small stuff so soon. Besides, what works for some dosent work for all, so you may get better results with something different.
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

As I believe the illustrious Jay Cohen has said on these boards "Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff" or something like that.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #16
Jay Cohen

Derek;

Good memory.

Here is the book, good little read.

http://www.amazon.com/Sweat-Small-St.../dp/0786881852
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #17
Trygve Lunde

its just that i want to make it work so i can reach my goals, thats why im asking so much. but i will read a bit more on the sites again and figure it out
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #18
Trygve Lunde

also i have one question, its been much debating about the 1 meal approach against 2 or three. Im on a diet my calorie inntake is 1500. So would it be best if i ate one big meal or two? i find it alot easier to eat one big meal so i can get a litle stuffed but the only reason to do two meals is to get enough protein, but after much reading people really seem to lower their protein inntake to even 0.6g/lbs even if they are very active and lean. I also eat very slow so the meal will take some time.

I also have a question regarding fat. Can your body make fat into glycogen for the muscles? and when will that process start? because i guess it will be more beneficial to get much glycogen from the fat rather than from carbs since with fat insulin is stable. As for the calories many people will say its to low but its not im a bit extreme but my goals are a bit extreme.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
Derek Weaver

Jay,
Good to see you pop up in this thread. I'll check out that read soon.

Trygve,
Again, the answers are out there, and I'm willing to be you already know the answers... I'll take a shot anyway though.

Why not split your meals into 3 or 4? How long is your feeding window? 1500 calories at a time is in no way enjoyable if you ask me.

If your caloric deficit is enough, then don't sweat your carbs. Fat's fine, it'll stabilize blood glucose, and help you feel full... balance hormones and other good stuff. A targeted approach (as I've already mentioned) of 50-100 carbs around training is showing to be quite effective.

BUT, remember that protein and carbs BOTH raise insulin levels. Eat less crap, more good stuff and smaller quantities and you'll reach your goals.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
Trygve Lunde

ok thanx man

My feeding windows is around 4-8 hours.