Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Default Digital coaching - 160lb Snatch 205lb CJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwR7CrOSyZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3JeBAl7ihE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McpVOLcnltM
All WFS

This is my first attempt at uploading videos for digital coaching. I apologize for the sideways video, hopefully you are viewing on a laptop and can turn the screen. Also, these videos are part of the below workout I did yesterday. I have no idea what set or rep these are videos of. My wifey was doing the filming and uploading...so I blame her, j/k...

Here is my workout log from 1/14/09:

Snatches:
160lbs x 3 x 5 sets I missed one snatch on the third set but I did an extra rep to make up for it, so 3 out of 4 attempts on set number 3. On almost every set there would be one rep which I had to step forward to keep from dropping the weight. I believe this usually occurred on the second repetition.

C&Js:
1 Clean + 1 split jerk + 2 back power jerks + 1 Clean = 1 set
205lbs x 5 sets on the second set I missed catching the bar on my back so I had to start from the beginning with another clean and split jerk. I skipped the last clean on this set. I completed all other sets except I missed the last clean on the last set. Overall, I think I could have had more explosion on the jerks.

Assistance exercises:
5 x 25lbs Weighted Pullups from dead hang to chin above bar.
8 x Ab wheel rollouts from knees
3 x 25lbs Weighted Pullups from dead hang to chin above bar.
10 x Ab wheel rollouts from knees
3 x 25lbs Weighted Pullups from dead hang to chin above bar.
8 x Ab wheel rollouts from knees
Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Brian Lawyer

I'll be the first to comment.
Personally, I don't think the lifts in those vids look all too bad. If you read my log above, you'll notice I had some snatches where I was stepping forward to hold the weight. Unfortunately, I didn't get video of those snatches uploaded.

As for the C&J, I really wasn't feeling the "pop" on those jerks last night. I think you can see that in the video. I'm not really exploding the weight up and catching at lockout.....Plus I know I need to work on the catching the weight on my back for those Back Jerks. Greg already gave me good advice on this on another thread in the "Training" section of this forum.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Clean - elbows out to sides.

You tend to shift your hips up quite purposefully with the snatch attempts. Knees out and hips down - you're losing your good set position right off.

Your backwards jump is only acceptable if you bring the bar back. The last one looked iffy - like you might have lost it out front pretty easily.

With the back jerks, it looked like your receiving stance was a little wider than your actual squat stance width.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Are you talking about in the pulling position or receiving? Is that a good thing or bad thing...

Quote:
You tend to shift your hips up quite purposefully with the snatch attempts. Knees out and hips down - you're losing your good set position right off.
I think I see what you mean. Tell me if this is what you are talking about; my back angle to the floor changes significantly as my hips rise faster than my chest/shoulders. Would the correct form be that my back angle to the floor shouldn't change at all until bar clears my knees and I start the second pull and, if anything, the back angle should open up not actually become closer to the floor...This is probably a result of me focusing quite a bit during last nights work out on getting my Shins vertical or beyond vertical prior to the second pull. This was something my coach had pointed out Saturday and was having me work on.

Quote:
Your backwards jump is only acceptable if you bring the bar back. The last one looked iffy - like you might have lost it out front pretty easily.
That's probably why I was having to step forward on several reps during my workout to maintain the weight OH.

Quote:
With the back jerks, it looked like your receiving stance was a little wider than your actual squat stance width.
I think you are right.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Are you talking about in the pulling position or receiving? Is that a good thing or bad thing...

You were pulling the bar up partially in a reverse curl. Elbows should come up and out to the sides, then flip under quickly. My guess is that the reverse curl is not only less efficient but also slows down getting the elbows around the bar since the movement is constantly loaded. Possibly leading to bad/dangerous rack positions. But that's just what it looks like to me.

I think I see what you mean. Tell me if this is what you are talking about; my back angle to the floor changes significantly as my hips rise faster than my chest/shoulders. Would the correct form be that my back angle to the floor shouldn't change at all until bar clears my knees and I start the second pull and, if anything, the back angle should open up not actually become closer to the floor...This is probably a result of me focusing quite a bit during last nights work out on getting my Shins vertical or beyond vertical prior to the second pull. This was something my coach had pointed out Saturday and was having me work on.

You do need to shift position slightly at knee level, otherwise the barbell is going to have to scrape off your kneecaps going around. You don't want to shift too heavily, but it'll be necessary. However, you're shifting so early that you might as well be starting the pull as a high-hipped deadlift.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Brian Lawyer

***All links are WFS***
More video of the same workout on 1/14/09. All these videos I am posting are work sets (i.e. Snatch 160lbs and CJ 205lbs) although I have no idea why my wife didn't film a full set of 3 snatches. Apparently she paused or stopped the video between every rep as a I reset.

Here are a couple of the reps of snatches that I had to step forward to regain balance. The first appears to be on the last rep of a set of 3 because I walk away afterwards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2KkATs6_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUbvMay3YyE

More Snatches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7l_IpYn8lU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6H9a8fJwtU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8HK4ArxCw

Clean + Split jerk + 2 back power jerks + Clean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-CIgEMgqo (wife stopped filming before last clean!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAXEobKn3vQ (wait this appears to be the last clean)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFf3fXF6JOY (Different Angle. This is the one I dropped off my back)
Old 01-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Brian Lawyer

OK guys check out my new post from todays workout. I tried to work on the issues you pointed out above. The title line has the date 1/17/09 in it.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Brian Lawyer

Derek,
I showed this video to my O'lifting coach and he is telling me my hips aren't rising too fast. He knows my strengths and weaknesses better than most, so maybe he has me pulling this way for a reason. But he also said my pulls in my other post on 1/17/09 were fine. So now I am thoroughly confused...

My guess is, I am just a little too exagerated of a hip rise in these vids and just need to tone it down slightly but keep the same mechanics....Snatches are so confusing sometimes!!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Derek, would you say the attached picture of Casey Burgener pretty much sums up your comment regarding elbows out to sides on the clean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caseyClean.jpg (40.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Actually, the elbows can come up to about ninety degrees. That's how I learned the drills, but I actually find that even elite lifters seem to shortchange it. Or maybe I just haven't seen enough elite lifters.

Personally, I think your hips were rising too fast before, but I'm not going to argue with a qualified coach. He knows both training and your training history a whole lot better than I do.