Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Joe Birch

Default My hybrid(ish) training

Goals are too maintain current levels of strength and lean out to about 6-8% BF (currently ~12%) - will do fran (scaled) in my first week and will set goals for this as well after i know where i stand!

Plan: mon-weights (volume) / tues-skills prac (olifts/gym/kipping) + short metcon / weds-rest / thurs-longer metcon / fri-rest / sat-weights (intensity) + heavy metcon (<10min) / sun-rest.

Will take it easy too start with on the conditioning side because i've not done any in months so DOMs will be fairly severe!

Today (monday 12th Jan):

Squats (ATG) - 97.5kg x 10 x 3 (reps x sets)

Press - 47.5kg x 10 / 47.5 x 8 / 47.5 x 8 (tending to rock back onto my heels too much when the weight is over head and losing balance so need to try and work on this next time).

Chins - 10kg x 5 x 3 (my pull ups are not great at the moment, not done any in a while so wil hopefully see some decent linear progression here *touch wood*).

Food: brekkie-apple, cashews and pro shake / lunch-3 sausages + 3 eggs / dinner (PWO)-small portion pasta w/ 250g red mince meat in chopped tomato sauce / before bed-200g mince meat in chopped tomato's.

Still fairly high calorie but significantly reduced my carb intake compared to what i was eating on SS (ton of pasta, GOMAD and other sweetie goodies) but I was still fairly lean on that diet so will stick with this while I can then reduce my kcal intake and possibly do some carb cycling if i get stuck.

Any comments/thoughts more than welcome!
Joe Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Leo Soubbotine

What is scaled when you do Fran and what's your stats?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Kevin Perry

welcome to the boards.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #4
Joe Birch

Not had access to the internet for the last few days so a bit of catch up!

Tuesday (13/1/09):

3 rounds of 400m row, 10 box jumps (30"), 5 clapping press ups.
Time: 9:37

Thought this workout would take me around 10mins so it worked nicely for my first bit of conditioning for a very long time! The rowing took me a total of just under five minutes and the press ups were fine so it was the time i took to recover from the row before the box jumps that slowed me! Needless to say I felt pretty horrendous after this, took me at least 3 times the workout to recover, hovering around the toilet!

P.S. Height 170cm, weight 80.5kg (done on tuesday).
5rep max's (will do my CFT on Saturday): Squat 120kg, Press 55kg, DL 160kg.
First time i do fran i'll probably have to do jumping pull ups and potentially scale down the thruster weight we'll see.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
Joe Birch

Wednesday (14/1/09) - rest day.

Bit of soreness today especially in my back, probably a combo of the volume of squats and the rowing - but not too bad, going to do a longer metcon tomorrow so i'll enjoy the lack of DOMs while i can!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Joe Birch

Thursday (15/1/09).

Went to the park to have a kick about with some friends then managed to convince them to join me in a workout afterwards, after the footy which was fairly tiring i wanted about a 20 minute workout so did as follows:

10 rounds of 30m sprint, 5 pull ups, 10 press ups.
Had nothing to time with but i'd guesstimate in the region of 15-17mins.

Was nice to have a field to run on instead of a treadmill so may do all of my longer metcons at the park. I managed the pull ups unbroken every round but form was debatable by the end, had to break up the press ups in the last 3 rounds. Didn't feel as horrendous as yesterday after this one, but I did graze my knee in the park like a schoolboy... but unfortunately no yummy mummies were around to tend to me

Really keen to get and get a hoooooge tractor tyre and take it down the park to incorporate into these sessions!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Joe Birch

Friday (16/1/09) - rest day.

Really sore upper body wise today, but legs feel fine and I don't seem to be suffering any lack of energy after my big reduction in carbs. Will be interesting to see my weight in the gym tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Joe Birch

Saterday (17/1/09)

CFT:

Squat: (1) 120 (2) 130 (3) 135k - maybe could have done 137.5kg but thought i'd stop after 3 attempts.

Press: (1) 60kg (only just) (2) 62.5kg (failed) - bit dissapointed with this was hoping for 65kg but was still fairly sore in the upper body so maybe had some effect.

DL: (1) 150 (2) 160kg (just)

Short metcon - scaled fran - 21-15-9 of 35kg Thrusters and pullups (did one jumping pullup followed by one kipped)

Time: 7:31 - quite happy with this as I did this workout before i did SS and it took me over 10 minutes with 30kg thrusters and all jumping pullups, just goes to show the extra strength helps significantly.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Joe Birch

Monday (19/1/09)

Weights - volume

Squats: 100kg x 10 x 3

Press: 47.5kg x 10 / 47.5 x 8 / 47.5 x 7 (going to change to 5x5 next session not making any progress in this rep range any more).

PUs: 12.5kg x 5 x 3 (sets x reps) - always struggled too make any real progress on PU's, any ideas people?

Not a great session to be honest, had poo recovery after saterday cos I drank too much vodka! Need to try and mix it up on the pullups I think it's my max strength thats limiting me so might try 5 sets of 3.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Joe Birch

Tuesday (20/1/09) - Short metcon

Did some butterfly kip practice at the beginning of the session, felt quite good, much more competent at these than the traditional kip!

Metcon:

200m row, 20 situps, 10 BFK pullups
300m row, 30 situps, 7 BFK pullups
400m row, 40 situps, 5 BFK pullups,
200m row.

Time: 13:07 (my recovery from the intense rowing was much better than last tuesday so quite happy with that, situps were a bit slow though).

Arms are like jelly this afternoon will try and avoid anything using my biceps in he next session they are sore!