Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
Zachary Cohn

Default Zachary Cohn's SS/Parkour/Gymnastics Training Log

I started this log on American Parkour, but I figured I'd post it here and get some higher quality feedback.

Brief background: I'm a university student. I've been training Parkour for 3 years and I'm a member of the national group, the APK Alliance. I've been doing Taekwondo (and dabbled in assorted other martial arts) for about 8 years, teaching for about 4, running the club at my university for 3. My roommate (Charles Moreland) and I revived the gymnastics club and have been training gymnastics for about a year and a quarter. I rock climb (mostly bouldering) on campus. And I love to juggle.

That's pretty much me in a nutshell. Anyway, I'm just going to repost the 25 some posts I made on APK into here, and then I'm going to be updating them both. I'd love any feedback you guys have to offer!
Zachary Cohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Zachary Cohn

I'm not sure how complete this will be.. I do SOMETHING every day. My current schedule of official events:
Mon: TKD
Tues: Gymnastics
Wed: Juggling
Thurs: Swing dance
Fri: TKD
Sat: Parkour
Sun: Parkour then Gymnastics

I do other things throughout the rest of the week, but that's a good idea of my weekly evening schedule.

I recently started doing Starting Strength in the mornings (MWF schedule) with Charles Moreland and some other friends from school. For the first two weeks we're going to be doing mostly skill work and finding our maxes, then we have a two week christmas break, and then the rest of the school quarter we'll be doing the full workouts. I will at least post what I did each SS workout, I probably won't be posting much about most of my other activities on a regular basis.

Current stats: 155#, 5'7"

My short and long term goals broken into categories:

Injury/Health:
1) Finish fixing final 5% of elbow pain.
2) Eliminate dysfunctional inflexibility in the upper back
3) Complete final 15-20% of posture correction in hips (currently tilted down a bit too much)
4) Full splits.
5) Correct shoulder posture (linked to #2?)
6) Figure out what's causing burning sensation in instep when I run for longer than 1/4 mile (and fix it).

Tricking/gymnastics/Parkour:
1) Increase the height on my side summi
2) Round-off back handspring & round-off backtuck
3) Flashkicks
4) Hold a handstand consistently for 10 seconds.
5) Frontflips from a height of 3 ft.
6) Feel comfortable throwing back layouts outside.
7) Feel comfortable throwing wallflips outside.
8) 6ft Rail precision
9) Work on getting more distance from reverse vaults (see: Jereme)
10) 540 kicks on my non-dominant side.
11) B-twist

Strength/Fitness:
1) Squat: 300#
2) Deadlift: 225#
3) Chest press: 165#
4) Overhead press: 115#
5) Increase vertical jump by 12 inches
6) Increase horizontal jump by a foot length
7) Press-handstand progressions
8) 10 muscle ups on bar (with no elbow pain).
9) Explosive pike pushups
10) Stair progression of explosive pushups
Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Zachary Cohn

First week and a half:

Quote:
2008/12/08 - Monday

Warmup:
Run 1/4 mile
Row 500m
Taught/learned air squats with a broomstick. Probably about 4x5.

Workout:
N/A. It was most people's first time lifting, so we spent most of the time teaching squats, deadlifts, and chest press. Mostly with an empty bar, increased to additional 10-20#s just to ensure comfortability with the movements.

Quote:
2008/12/10 - Wednesday

Warmup:
Row 500m
4x5 air squats with broomstick

Workout theme: Skillwork and finding maxes.

Workout:
Squats: 5 reps, didn't count sets, estimate 7-8. Built up to 145#.
Chest press: 5 reps, didn't count sets, estimate 7-8. Built up to 110#.

Notes:
I can definitely increase the weight of the squats more. I was having minor discomfort as bar started to slide further down my back, but had absolutely no issues squatting the weight. I could easily hit 175, my estimate of my max is in the 190-200# range.

I was having major stability issues with the chest press. This is my first time chest pressing, so I'm sure that's part of it, and I haven't ever done much stability work in that position. I had no strength issues, pushing the bar up was easy even at 110#. I'm wary of going past 110# until the stability issues are worked out.

Quote:
2008/12/12 - Friday

Warmup: Row 500m

Workout theme: Skillwork and finding maxes.

Workout:
Chest press:
1x5 - empty bar
1x5 - 95#
3x5 - 105#

Deadlift:
3x5 - 65#
1x5 - 75#
3x5 - 115#

Notes:
Got about 3 hours of sleep. Went out to pick up Hardcoretraceur from the bus station at 10pm, then came home and we + some friends watched The Dark Knight. Got to bed around 2:15am, got up at 5:30am to lift. Decided to skip the squats because my left ankle was hurting a little bit, and I wanted to fix my deadlift form anyway (Hence the three sets at really low weight). 115# was the highest I felt safe trying with so little sleep. I tried alternating the chest press between going slow and going faster.

Stretched for cooldown, then went to pick up KC Parsons and a friend of his from the bus station. Went to a diner, got a 3 egg omlette with turkey, and then two pancakes, home fries, and toast.

Came back home around 10:30, and everyone has been asleep since. We're going to the rock climbing gym tonight before we pick up Bryan Augstein and Chris Price, and then we're going to finish trashing our bodies by going out for Garbage Plates (wiki it).

I hurt all over. My elbows feel pretty tender, my ankle hurts, and I think I'm getting some referred pain to the knees as well... it's due to lack of sleep. No plans for tomorrow morning, so we'll all sleep in.

Quote:
2008/12/15 - Monday
No workout. Had to drive Jesse and Bryan to the bus station during that time, class and work the rest of the day.

Quote:
2008/12/17 - Wednesday

Warmup:
2x10 squats with empty bar.

Workout theme: Skillwork and finding maxes
Squats:
2x5 95#
2x5 125#
2x5 145#
2x5 155#
2x5 165#
2x5 175#

Full ROM dips:
2x10

Deadlifts:
1x5 95#
1x5 115#
1x5 135#

Notes:
Got 3 hours of sleep, and woke up late. Discovered last night and confirmed this morning that most, if not all, remaining elbow pain is due to upper back dysfunctional inflexibility. When I am sitting with feet together, chin to chest, bending down to touch my toes, I feel tightness in specific areas of my upper back and neck, but it also was activating most (or maybe all? couldn't quite tell) the areas that were still painful.

This is my last gym workout of the year, our next scheduled one is Friday and I go home Thursday night. I plan on doing a lot of squats and dips at home, and then slowly working on pullups again. My goal is to spend an hour each day stretching, primarily my upper back and neck. I'll apply heat with a heating pad we have before and after stretching, and I hope I can help fix some of this problem.

I can deadlift more, I'm a lot more comfortable with my form now, I just didn't have time to today. I can squat a bit more, probably pretty close to my previous estimate of the 200 range. I'm going to switch (with charlie's recommendation) to 3x5 dips and start adding weight.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Zachary Cohn

Quote:
I've been home the past couple days:
Workouts: Ice skating for an hour until I wore a hole through my foot.
Diet: crap. I don't want to talk about it.
Sleep: Staying up late, getting up pretty late.

Today, however, I got a workout in!

2008/12/22 - Monday
Warmup: 2x10 airsquats

Workout theme: Two-person exercises

Workout:
4x5 squats 110# (my sister) (5s rest between sets)

rest - 2 min

4x5 squats 110# (my sister again)

We tried bench pressing her, it didn't really work. She started laughing and then collapsed on me.

Couldn't figure out how to deadlift her.

Quote:
2009/01/05 - Monday

Skipped workout due to being sick. Sinus's slay me...

Quote:
2008/12/22 - Wednesday

Warmup: 500m row

Workout theme: Getting back into the groove.

Workout:
Squats:
1x5 65#
1x5 85#
1x5 105#
1x5 125#
1x5 145#
1x5 155#
1x5 165#
3x5 175#

Chest press:
1x5 65#
1x5 85#
3x5 105#

Deadlift:
1x5 95#
1x5 115#
3x5 135# (I think?)

Dips:
3x5 0#

Notes:
I think I'm building up too slowly and tiring myself. I need to stop increasing the weight by only 10 or 20# in the low-weighted sets. Decided to test this next workout.

Quote:
2009/1/9 - Friday

Warmup:
500m row

Workout theme: Lets lift something heavy.

Workout:
Squats:
1x5 95#
1x5 145#
1x5 175#
3x5 185#

Chest press:
1x5 85#
1x5 105#
3x5 115#

Deadlift:
1x5 95#
3x5 145# (didn't mean to jump quite this far...)

Notes:
I think these three max weights, 185, 115, and 145, are definitely the highest I could do without form degredation.
I've started drinking milk, about a half-gallon a day. I think it might be causing my stomach to be a bit upset though, further testing is required. I'm definitely not eating enough... My schedule doesn't allow me to eat at home very often and campus food is terrible.

Quote:
2009/1/12 - Monday

Warmup:
500m row

Workout theme: Lets lift something heavy.

Workout:
Squats
1x5 95#
1x5 135#
1x5 175#
1x1* 185#

Chest Press:
1x5 75#
1x5 95#
2x5 120#**
1x5 115#

Deadlift:
1x1 95#***

Dips:
Shoulder hurt from screwing up a back handspring yesterday. Didn't want to push it.

Diet:
Drank a ton of milk today. Discovered i could buy a pint of milk for $1.49, or half a gallon for $2.49. I have access to a couple refridgerators around campus, so I'm going to start buying half gallons and trying to drink half a gallon on campus during the day, and then half a gallon at home at night.

Breakfast was the usual scrambled eggs with turkey and a banana (forgot to ask for 3 eggs this time though and only got two). Lunch was 7" turkey and tuna sub with stuff PILED on (friend works at the sandwich shop... oh yeah!). I have another 7" in the fridge at work for tomorrow. Most likely chicken and eggs for dinner.

Notes:
I'm feeling like I got run over by a train with a steam roller in front of it. I'm feeling absolutely wrecked. I'm not getting enough sleep and there's nothing I can do about it. I don't know how I'm going to survive this week, let alone the rest of this semester.

*Felt a tiny twinge in my left thigh at 135. Got more intense at 175. Got a lot more intense at 185, didn't want to push it. I think it's from Friday night when I tried to squat two of my friends. At the same time. The first time I felt it when I was trying to lift them. Hindsight... jumping up to a 300# squat probably a bad idea.

** Accidentally. I left a 5# weight on the right side of the bar... didn't realize it. It felt off, but I figured I was continuing my off day.

*** Felt the twinge in my thigh again.

Quote:
2009/1/14 - Wednesday

No workout. It was more important to sleep and recover, and I was up late working on homework. Waaay too many projects due this week. I MIGHT have time to make it up tomorrow (thurs), but if not I'll go all out on Friday.

Quote:
2009/01/16 - Friday

Workout theme: new skill, max out.

Workout:
Squats:
1x5 95#
1x5 145#
1x5 185#
3x5 195#

Overhead press (new to this):
1x5 45#
1x5 55#
1x5 65#
1x5 75#

Deadlift:
1x5 95#
1x5 145#
3x5 165#

Diet: Haven't been eating as much as I should, but I also haven't been workout out. School has been CRAZY this week, and I've pretty much been going to class, going to work, then coming home to do schoolwork. Been drinking about a half a gallon of milk a day at work, and then a few glasses at home, so maybe 75% of a gallon a day. Post-workout breakfast today was 3 scrambled eggs with tomatoes and extra turkey. The chef knows me and my order now... so I walk in and he starts making it. Good times.

Note:
The twinge in my left thigh on the squats has all but gone away. I noticed it a little bit on the last two sets of 195, but it was only making noise, it wasn't hurting. I also had an extra 10# more on than I thought... I thought I was lifting 175 then 185, then I looked at it when taking the weight off and I had mis-added. Whoops, but cool! On monday I hope to get 200# squats. I was having some trouble with the weight sliding down my back again, I need to focus on keeping my elbows back.

I switched from chest presses to overhead presses, and I think i'm going to keep this up for a while. My right shoulder was dislocated at a young age, and it's pretty stable except in a arms up position. It occasionally subluxates... I want to strengthen it in that position a bit.

Deadlifts are coming along nicely. I can probably do a bit more than 165, but 145# was my previous max, and I didn't want to push it up too high.

More mucus buildup than usual. I think it's a combination of the milk and the weather. Oh well..

Quote:
2009/01/16 - Monday
No workout. Stayed up until 1 working on a school project and then picked up Charles Moreland from the bus station at 5:15am. Not gunna happen...

Quote:
2009/01/21 - Wednesday

Workout theme: Max out.

Workout:
Squats:
1x5 95#
1x5 135#
1x5 165#
1x5 185#
3x5 200# (schweet! They were heavy...)

Overhead press:
1x5 45#
1x5 65#
3x5 85#

Deadlift:
1x5 95#
1x5 135#
1x5 155#

Diet:
Pretty poor. I ate an entire medium pizza in about 20 minutes on Sunday, and I haven't been eating dinner for the past three or four days. I'm not getting much milk either. Doing the best I can, but my irregular school schedule makes it hard to have a regular eating schedule...

Notes:
I think I can go a lot heavier on deadlifts. It feels heavy, but it doesn't feel strenuous like squats do. I'm going to experiment and try to hit 175 next time, see how that feels.

Random notes so far: Charles Moreland and Chris Salvato yelled at me (pretty much at the same time) for doing 3 sets of my max deadlift, although after a bit of discussion I really don't think I've hit my max effort with deadlifts. It's been heavy, but not anywhere close to the "holy crap this is heavy" of the 200# squats yesterday... On Friday I'm going to bump it up higher and try to feel out heavier deadlifts.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Cohn View Post

Strength/Fitness:
1) Squat: 300#
2) Deadlift: 225#
3) Chest press: 165#
4) Overhead press: 115#
5) Increase vertical jump by 12 inches
6) Increase horizontal jump by a foot length
7) Press-handstand progressions
8) 10 muscle ups on bar (with no elbow pain).
9) Explosive pike pushups
10) Stair progression of explosive pushups
Welcome. I didn't read through all the posts below but where do you stand currently on Goals 1-4? What are your physical stats right now? How is your eating going along with SS along with all your multitude of activites?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Ryan Brown

happydud!

Ha, another APK-to-Pmenu log transfer. We're takin' OVER!
Ryan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Zachary Cohn

Allen -

I should learn a bit more about goal setting and the relationships between the lifts, and then go back and reevaluate my goals. A lot of them are just kind of shots in the dark, but currently..

Squat: 200#
Deadlift: 155# (but can definitely go higher.)
Chest press: 115#
Overhead Press: 85#

I'm 5'7", 155lbs. I mentioned this in the latest few posts, but I'm definitely not eating enough. The irregular schedule of university life makes it difficult. For example: right now it's almost 7pm and all i've had today are two scones and a banana... I'm trying to eat as much as I can, but it's been hard so far.

Ryan - Hey! Good to see you here. Soon they'll have no choice but to submit to our will.

Or something... :-)
Old 01-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Kevin Perry

College life is definately a difficult eating schedule.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Brown View Post
happydud!

Ha, another APK-to-Pmenu log transfer. We're takin' OVER!
*facepalm* can't believe I started this cascade

OH HEY ZACH!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Cohn View Post
Allen -

I should learn a bit more about goal setting and the relationships between the lifts, and then go back and reevaluate my goals. A lot of them are just kind of shots in the dark, but currently..

Squat: 200#
Deadlift: 155# (but can definitely go higher.)
Chest press: 115#
Overhead Press: 85#

I'm 5'7", 155lbs. I mentioned this in the latest few posts, but I'm definitely not eating enough. The irregular schedule of university life makes it difficult. For example: right now it's almost 7pm and all i've had today are two scones and a banana... I'm trying to eat as much as I can, but it's been hard so far.

Ryan - Hey! Good to see you here. Soon they'll have no choice but to submit to our will.

Or something... :-)
I was wondering about the goals because usually a person's DL is on par if not higher than the back squat.

I apologize for not reading through the stuff you had posted. I know university life can make it tough to eat but it is possible. You can't/shouldn't do SS on top of all that other stuff if you in a caloric deficit.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote