Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #21
Mike ODonnell

I bet if students got full rides to college and made $10 million a year in the professional chemistry league.....the science fairs would be out of control.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #22
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

It's different when a major football program runs up the score on a tomato can. The Top 10s of the world pay a hefty sum to the opposing program to do that. It's also different when third-stringers are in and the score is still going up. Those guys never get the chance to play, and when they do, damned if they're going to "take it easy."

I agree with the fired coach that the game shouldn't be forfeited. Covenant won the game. A forfeit win would ignore the win and dishonor the other team.

Blowouts happen. Running up the score happens. But 100-0 doesn't just "happen."

The coach's statement is on his website. It's worth the read.

Quote:
The Game. The game started like any other high school basketball game across the nation. The teams warm-up, coaches talk, the ball is tipped, and then the play begins. We started the game off with a full-court press. After 3 minutes into play, we had already reached a 25-0 lead. Like any rational thinking coach would do, I immediately stopped the full-court press, dropped into a 2-3 zone defense, and started subbing in my 3 bench players. This strategy continued for the rest of the game and allowed the Dallas Academy players to get the ball up the court for a chance to score. The second half started with a score of 59-0. Seeing that we would win by too wide of a margin, running down the clock was the only logical course of action left. Contrary to the articles, there were only a total of four 3-point baskets made; three in the first quarter, and only one in the third quarter. I continued to sub in bench players, play zone defense, and run the clock for the rest of the game. We played fair and honorably within the rules and in the presence of the parents, coaches, and athletic directors for both Covenant School and Dallas Academy.
http://www.flightbasketball.com/100-...rom-Coach.html
Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I bet if students got full rides to college and made $10 million a year in the professional chemistry league.....the science fairs would be out of control.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
Garrett Smith

59 points the first half.
41 the second, supposedly with:
Quote:
continued to sub in bench players, play zone defense, and run the clock for the rest of the game.
FWIW, I'm not totally buying it. That's only a 30% reduction in their points scored.

Also, 25 points in the first 3 minutes? Seriously? In high school? That would almost seem like there wasn't another team on the floor. Let's say that is 12 baskets made. That's one about every 15 seconds!

The losing team was probably so outmatched they could hardly even inbound the ball against the press. Unless the girls on the losing team really enjoy the game enough to keep coming back for more, maybe their school should think about fielding a team in some other sport they might be better at. I'm surprised that no one is going after the losing school's coaches or basketball program, which apparently has been leading lambs to the slaughter for four years straight now. That said, if the girls are enjoying themselves while losing, more power to them, and this subject becomes moot.

Seriously, that game must have looked like a layup drill.

EDIT: I went and read the coach's statement. It would seem to me, that if he was being truthful, that the losing team may have been made of players in their first season of basketball ever.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #25
Patrick Donnelly

Anyone ever see "The Last Samurai?"

Sort of reminds me of that. There's no real answer to this problem either, just a set of loosely formed rules made by society, which are neither based on anything objective nor universally accepted. You can debate it however you want (whether it be disapproving, apathetic, or congratulatory), but nothing's going to change with the issue, and nothing's certainly going to change with our society's standards... That's not even to say that something ought to change with society. It's good to have opposing views.

Damn. Did I just do another one of those posts where I fail to actually say anything?
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #26
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Anyone ever see "The Last Samurai?"

Sort of reminds me of that. There's no real answer to this problem either, just a set of loosely formed rules made by society, which are neither based on anything objective nor universally accepted. You can debate it however you want (whether it be disapproving, apathetic, or congratulatory), but nothing's going to change with the issue, and nothing's certainly going to change with our society's standards... That's not even to say that something ought to change with society. It's good to have opposing views.

Damn. Did I just do another one of those posts where I fail to actually say anything?
Yes.

I don't know who's at fault, but it's sad to see yet another example of how people in general are quick to judgment, especially from afar.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #27
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

If you're proposing that somebody should beat up Tom Cruise to make this thing right, then yeah, I'll go with that.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #28
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
GREAT movie.....in the words of 'roid rage' Lattimer....."Ding F'n Dong".

I coached high school hockey while back.....we had great players...and not so great....I played them all equal ice time and they (the kids) didn't mind....only the parents did....and I really didn't care about what they thought anyways.

All this stuff would be settled much easier without 24hr news networks and other media looking for stuff to blow out of proportion and find the latest villian of the day. Gawd I hate everything about the news.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #29
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
If you're proposing that somebody should beat up Tom Cruise to make this thing right, then yeah, I'll go with that.
Sounds like a plan.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote