Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Will Moore

Default Hey, I'm back on Paleo!

Most of you have probably read my posts before and you've heard me bitch and moan about how Paleo diets and low carb diets had not worked out for me in the past. Well, I went back to my old high carb, low fat diet for about 3 months with limited success. At first I felt fantastic...better endurance, bigger lifts in the gym, etc. This was probably because my insulin sensitivity was greatest in the first few weeks (I had been on a low carb diet for 5 months). However, after the first few weeks my progress stalled. I neither gained nor lost any weight. My lifts in the gym stayed the same. Adding more carbs, even simple carbs from bread, didn't seem to add any further benefit. Life was starting to suck. When I am on a high carb diet and am very strict about keeping fat to the bare minimum. This means cutting out a lot of good food, like salmon, most meat, nuts, etc. I have to supplement heavily to make sure I'm getting everything I need, and I don't like doing that. I just made up my mind that I'm going to give a Paleo type diet another chance and make it work, no matter what. I have been on this new Paleo diet for about three weeks now.
I'm doing Paleo a little different this time around. For example, in the past I always found that I ended up gaining body fat on Paleo or low carb diets. This was because of my heavy reliance on nuts and seeds. You see, I would eat about say, 160 grams protein, a huge salad, and I was still hungry. I thought that it would not be healthy to eat any more protein from meat, fish, or whatever, so I would eat a ton of nuts and seeds to fill the void so I didn't feel like I was starving. I never got "fat" eating this way, I just couldn't stay "cut" to my own standards. This time around, I only eat the nuts once or twice a week, usually on the weekend. In the three weeks I have been eating this way, doing the same workouts, I have become "ripped" beyond belief. I can stand in front of a mirror in the morning and see every vein in my body. Now, it would be nice to get my mass back so that would mean something.
Much to my surprise, even on days when I know my carb intake is below 50g, my lifts in the gym have not been that bad. On my initial set for any given lift, I'm able to push as much as I did when I was on the high carb diet. I start to fade on subsequent sets, but I feel I will adapt over time. I have not planned any carb-up periods. I'm going to wait and see if I can get by without them. If I need them, I know the full arsenal of Paleo type carbs available. The only non-Paleo item I have been consuming is Whey protein, which I use prior to my evening meal.
Even though I don't feel 100% physically right now, I have no complaints with mental or cognitive issues. I feel a very strong sense of mental clarity at work now. For one thing, I'm really big on fish, especially salmon. They say all that EPA and DHA is good for the brain, so who knows, maybe that has something to do with it.
I still haven't done any beef, pork, or lamb yet. I have found many sources online where I can order local, pastured, grass fed meats. I am well schooled in the advantages of this over commercial meat. However, as you all know, this can get expensive very quickly! Do any of you have any recommendations regarding commercial meats? If you absolutely must buy commercial meat, what type is the safest?
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Moore View Post
I still haven't done any beef, pork, or lamb yet. I have found many sources online where I can order local, pastured, grass fed meats. I am well schooled in the advantages of this over commercial meat. However, as you all know, this can get expensive very quickly! Do any of you have any recommendations regarding commercial meats? If you absolutely must buy commercial meat, what type is the safest?
First, congratulations on the success!

Lamb is one of the safer meats as it isn't (yet) practical to raise lamb on industrialized crap.

I don't know where you live, but see if there are any "cowpooling" efforts in your area, as sides of beef are cost effective ways of getting grassfed beef. The other approach, if you have a big freezer, is to go the half side route yourself.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote