Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #231
Robert McBee

Mornin' Allen,

You're the earlybird over there on the east coast. Having a double espresso and glass of water preparing for NEPA walk here on the 'left' coast.

That reaction to real food is pretty powerful. I was thinking the whole time I was eating that its going to be a long week until that next food meal. I guess thats a regular reality for alot of people in various places so I'm humbled by that. Greater sense of appreciation for the option to do or not do this crazy diet in the first place.

Thanks for the stats reminder. I didn't put up any to start with. Not going as super-scientific as I'd like, just enough to measure some variance. My starting measurement, circumference at umbilicus, was 37"(how in the Guinness did that happen). As of this moment that number is 35 1/2!! Weight at start was 170lbs. Used training partner's scale so need him to bring that over again.
Robert McBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #232
Todd Mccraw

Great thread.

I have been reading this, and just joined recently. I figured that i would give my input on how I set this diet up for me.

Stats:
5'6"
186 lbs
12.4% BF (Just been pinched)

I use this diet as a means of cleaning up any gains I make in the gym. I am trying to develop muscle, and instead of trying to balance my diet to get just enough calories for growth, I make sure to get an ample amount. (From good food choices).

When my body fat starts to get higher than I like, I give this diet a run for 3-4 weeks and do the following:

I use a True Protein mix called "Skips Blend". It is a blend of Whey, Casein, and Egg Whites. It tastes great, and is very filling. I alternate my shakes with Almond Butter and Olive Oil for my fat intake, and I have 1 meal each evening with my last shake that consists of a huge salad..(Mainly for fiber purposes). In the past, I did use a Post workout shake of about 30G of dextrose after each workout, but I eliminated that by trial and error and found that my lifts don't really suffer from low carb and fasted workouts.

I work out with weights 4 days a week for about an hour per session. When I first start up, I do nothing cardio related. After about two weeks in, I will add 2-3 20-30 minute sessions of walking at a slow pace on a treadmill at an incline.

I do have one cheat meal a week out with my family, but I would not really miss it if I didn't include it.

After about 3-4 weeks, I will add another solid meal in which comes right after my workout (I workout in the morning ~ 4:30 am), and it consists of a lean protein source, and a good amount of carbs. Typically something along the lines of Eggs, Egg Whites, and Oatmeal w/Blueberries.

Usually about 6-8 weeks of this is enough to bump me back where I want to be, and then I start slowly ramping my calories back up again.

I know everyone is different, and this is just what works for me.
Todd Mccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #233
Leah Turner

Well I just read through all 24 pages (must be crazy) and have two questions. I have also read all (I think) of Shuggart's V-diet articles on Tnation, but didn't find my answers...

1) What weight should one plug into the equation given to figure out calories. Should I use the BW I am at currently, or the BW that I WANT to be at?

2) I am quite honestly freaked out to try the Hot Rox. And reading so many negative reactions on a few different sites didn't help. I am easily affected by caffeine and do not drink pop. I drink mochas for the taste once a week or so. Would straight expresso be a good enough substitute? I'm guessing no for the following reasons:

- My limited understanding is that the caffeine in Hot Rox allows one to function without the carbs, basically tricking your body into thinking you have energy. Most ppl will need a large amount of caffeine.

- I have heard Hot Rox described as giving a person a temporary overactive-thyroid. And, that there is something in the supplement that suppresses ones appetite, hence caffeine alone won't work.

Concerning colds, I have read many people on other sites saying they developed one as well, and not just skinny people as asserted here. I recall Shuggart even stating he developed a cold the second (?) week.

Also, anyone know how the equation to figure out calories was created?

Any input appreciated!
Leah Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #234
Allen Yeh

Plug in your current BW into the formula, your calories will be plenty low enough if you put in your goal weight I think it would be practically undoable.

RE: Hot Rox,

Some more links
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...locity_diet_hq

The female picked last year to do the V-diet:
http://www.figureathlete.com/readPhysClin.do?id=1884950

RE: Hot-rox

I'm iffy about this because I did find them a bit mood altering but at the same time try not to mess around with things too much. Are you going to try using Se7en? It seems that product is recommended for women doing the V-diet.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #235
Robert McBee

V-Diet
Day 18

I obviously haven't been logging daily on this thing but one day is the same as another. I'm still on it and approaching end of week 3.
Funny about the mention of catching a cold. I've had a chest cold/congestion for about the last 4-5 days. Don't know if its related to the diet because everyone I know is sick right now.

Last rough stats were a 1.5" decrease in waist measurement with total BW holding at 169lbs. Cravings are basically gone. I'm on dietary autopilot. Feeling good actually, probably from the consistent intake of higher protein. Same for water/hydration.

Training tonight felt good.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #236
Leah Turner

Allen - thanks for the reply.

I am not sure about the Se7en either. It seems similiar to the Hot Rox. The one girl that did the diet for Biotest took both Hot Rox and Se7en. There is no way in helle that I could or would take both of those together.

Any women out there who just took the Se7en? Results...?

Robert (or anyone else),

do you take the Hot Rox? how do you feel w/ it? any bad effects?
Leah Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #237
Robert McBee

Hi Leah,

I do not take the Hot Roxx. Most days I average 2-4 shots of espresso so I'm thinking thats plenty on the stimulants. A few people early in this thread mentioned they didn't have a great experience with them but I'm curious to try them just for purposes of this experiment. I will if you will.

Of course Biotest wants you to feel like you should use every possible supplement but thats what they do, sell supplements. I like making money too so I totally support that but don't think you need much more than the protein. I am using their 'Superfood' stuff and like it and their Metabolic Drive is really tasty...IMO
Old 02-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #238
Allen Yeh

V-diet 3.0?

I saw this in my inbox this morning:

http://www.t-nation.com/programs/vdi...Program000.jsp
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #239
Emily Mattes

Anyone notice what the difference is?

I wish they'd stop using that Gus Pacho guy as their poster boy, though. Props to the man for losing the weight, but whatever ridiculous weight-training program he was put on gave him an extremely silly midsection compared to his upper-body. Something tells me his legs are probably twiggy too.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #240
George Mounce

I like that calculator thing they have now, makes it really easy.

Of course the V-diet costs more for just me in 28 days than what I spend on paleo food choices for 2 people over the course of a month.

It's too bad their workout program is right out of something like Men's Health.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote