Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 09-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Scott Kustes

Yes, chickens have livers. Here's the thing about the liver. Yes, it is a filter. No, it doesn't just store toxins. An animal raised on pasture, not loaded up with hormones and antibiotics...basically a properly raised animal, will have a clean liver, much like yourself. The liver filters and EXCRETES toxins. Only when the daily bombardment is too much for the liver will there be issues, such as when an animal is raised in a confinement operation. If the liver didn't excrete toxins, we'd all be overloaded in short order.

So livers from pastured chickens and cows are good. In fact, they are probably the most healthful meat you can eat. Livers from confinement chickens and cows....avoid them.

As for cooking them inside the chicken...I can't see why not, though I've never done it.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Liam Dougherty Springer

I couldn't find anything around the threads on grass fed pork I get my pork localy but the farm is pretty darn big the pigs are pasture raised year round but they are fed grain I know of a farm near by that grows veggie gadens specificaly for the pigs to root in however here http://texasgrassfedbeef.com/id78.htm you can get 100% grass fed pork Many of you may know of this site but I am interested in trying some has anyone here had this?
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #13
Jay Cohen

Liam;

Interesting, but at some point, cost vs hype becomes a factor. When I bought my pig off a local farmer, I met the family and their pigs. Yep, they did feed some grains, but for the most part, the pigs just rooted around in the pastures, and BTW, there isn't any grass, just packed dirt, as pigs can root/tear up soil as only a John Deere could hope to do.

The pigs did NOT receive any added chemicals or medicines in their diet, so I felt it was pretty good meat, and fully processed, sitting in my freezer, price was under 2.00 bucks a lb and the pig dressed out at 230 lbs.

Now my farmer that raises my beef and has 12 piglets ready for slaughter next month, says I'll be able to taste the diff in his meats as he feeds better then the folks I bought from last time, we'll see and I'll get more information later.

Try as hard as you can, even if you have to make a couple hundred mile road trip to find local farmers raising great meats and veggies. I will be a great story, you'll meet new people AND you'll be supporting local raised foods, not the big chains or Internet guys.

Just my two cents.

Jay
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
Patrick Yeung

I buy the bulk of my groceries from the weekly farmers markets, and this asian grocery store.

I know many of the farmers, and how they raise their animals/vegetables, so I get pretty lucky. But, seriously... I cooked someone an omlette using organic eggs, and now they wont eat anything other than organic eggs.

As far as organs go, you cant beat asian supermarkets. Theyll have every part of an animal there, no waste. I can even buy solid cakes of cooked blood from cow or pork, bags of chicken hearts, legs, liver, gizzard, etc.

If youve got one around, you should check em out. They are usually very fresh as well, unlike most grocery stores because of the high turn over rate of those items.

Id never buy fish from a Ralphs, or stater bros.
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Liam;
Try as hard as you can, even if you have to make a couple hundred mile road trip to find local farmers raising great meats and veggies. I will be a great story, you'll meet new people AND you'll be supporting local raised foods, not the big chains or Internet guys.

Just my two cents.

Jay
Yeah I know you will always keep me on the good path.... I am gonna go down to a farm about 200 miles away funny you chose that number and get my dairy beef pork eggs its the one I described were they have veggie gardens specialy for the pigs I have already spoken to the lady and the family that owns it is just awsome. I am probably gonna try this site out however as I am paying as much or more for my local and grass fed meats from whole foods.

As soon as I get a car or can find some one willing to drive me I am going down to the farm though and hope to set up a by monthly trip. I have aquired an extra fridge in my garage for dairy and eggs and have a stand alone freezer ariving mid march.

Still for internet meat sites this one is pretty cool I am gonna get my cat some food as well.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
Scott Hanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
I couldn't find anything around the threads on grass fed pork I get my pork localy but the farm is pretty darn big the pigs are pasture raised year round but they are fed grain I know of a farm near by that grows veggie gadens specificaly for the pigs to root in however here http://texasgrassfedbeef.com/id78.htm you can get 100% grass fed pork Many of you may know of this site but I am interested in trying some has anyone here had this?
Liam,

I don't know of anyone within a 200 mile radius of me that raises grass-fed or "natural" pigs (too cold and dry to raise them efficiently on pasture in eastern Idaho). I ordered some from Slankers (texasgrassfedbeef.com) a few weeks ago. It's quite good. Although he's an "internet guy", he seems to be a zealous proponent of grass-fed animals. You actually have to call and talk to Mr. Slanker to order, and he's a nice guy. Service was great. I bought mostly cheaper cuts like butts, shoulders, fresh hams, and they've been very good. I'll continue to patronize my local farmers as much as possible (beef, lamb), but I had a hankering for some pig and I'll definitely order from Slanker's again. I also got some macadamia nut oil which is great for cooking (very high mono, very high smoke point, although I generally don't cook at high temps).

Jay,

I think you live in the promised land when it comes to local meat.
Scott Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote