Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.

Default Going on a vacation in Florida - Titusville area are there any WLing gyms in the area

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to get a few training sessions in before I hop on a Disney Cruise and eat myself into oblivian.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Justin Algera

Born and raised in Titusville... Its a pretty small Florida town so not a whole lot there. The closest I think would be Harbor City Crossfit in Melbourne or Crossfit Evolution in Longwood. Unfortunately just not a lot out there.
Justin Algera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Derek Simonds

Arden, All you got do is say when and I will meet you over at Harbor City or even like Justin said Leo's place is about 45 minutes to an hour away from Titusville.

Let me know when you will be in the area.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Plenty of gators to wrestle down there....best part, you can cook them up afterwards.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Crappppp!!!!!

I'm home now, but here's my story.

So I get to Titusville last Saturday. We're getting on the Disney Wonder on Sunday, so no workout Saturday. Gotta spend some time with the in-laws. Before I left, I had managed to call Harbor Crossfit for a session on Friday night (February 27). The Melbourne Weightlifting Club has a site and I found it through the USAW. I was psyched. I packed all my stuff (shoes, straps, rehbands, etc.) into my workout bag and had my session all planned out. It's rare that I get to train with other olympic lifting ethusiasts so I get all anxious and stuff.

So we go on the cruise, I take my gym bad with me because the Wonder has a moderate facility with dumbells up to 65lbs and a slew of machines. I worked out two to three hours a day every day. It was kinda odd having "bodypart" days like I did, what seems like, eons ago. I had my gym bad with me. I put my Addistars on for one session - I did dumbell overhead squats and a bunch of drops which brought some odd looks from the older folk in the fitness area.

Again, I was giddy with anticipation of going to Harbor Crossfit for some serious lifting. Wife said I could go for "as long as" I "wanted." I had my spike energy drink, protein, shaker bottles, etc. waiting for at the in-laws for when I got off the boat. I had my shoes, rehbands, and straps with me. In hindsight I don't know what I was thinking bringing all that stuff with me, but I thought "what the hey, I could find a barbell in Nausau, you never know?"

Anyway, we pack our stuff up Wednesday Night to get off the boat on Thursday morning. My gym bag was included in with my stuff. Handed it to the porter. Had two name tags on it. It's an under armor baseball bat bag because I keep my axe handles in it that I take to the gym and swing between sets. And, yes, I had my axe handles in it for the entire trip (but I only swung it when I had the fitness area to myself 0n a few nights - mostly swung it on the balcony in our room for fear of scaring the locals). It also has that nice gym bag smell. You guys and gals know what I'm talking about; for anyone who has TK bands or rehbands that are stuffed into a gym bag post workout and then removed at home to "air out"; there are some remnants of nasty that leak over into the bag itself. Yeah, that's my bag.

Anyway, so I get off the boat on Thursday morning and all our bags are there, except my freaking gym bag. I was pissed. Wait. I was beyond pissed. I could have likely eaten someone's luggage I was so angry. I'm a pretty big dude that looks a little scary until he smiles; I didn't smile until about 4 hours after I went through customs. YOu could have fried an egg on my head. My thought was how in the blue hell could they have lost my stinky gym bag from the 8th floor of that ship to the 1000 feet where we picked up our luggage?

Anyway, after seven calls to Disney's lost and found, and over 36 hours later, Disney figured out my bag was with a happy family in New Hampshire. My guess is a porter got confused when some father through him a $50 to get "their bags" and he accidently threw my stinky black bat bag in with the families. It then somehow managed to get itself on a plane (and past the dogs, which must have turned away) and to New Hampshire. Hell, I didn't even know New Hampshire had a major airport. Every time I've flown that direction, I ended up in Boston and got a rental car. ..... I'm still sorta angry about it, can't ya tell?

I'm home now. Got home yesterday around 1:30 p.m. And I still don't have my gym bag. But it's suppossed to be at my office tomorrow morning. .....

ah... the saga of my stinky gym bag and my weightlifting paraphanalia. Oh, and I didn't get my workout at Harbor Crossfit. Instead I went to the Parrish Fitness complex and did power cleans with the slickest bar I've ever used and with absolutely no chalk. And I did those cleans, cleans and presses, front squats, and conventional deads in a new pair of "off the wall" low top vans that weren't too bad. But they were NOT addistars.

Perhaps next February, if all works out? We always take the same vacation. But next year, I'm getting more than one "possible" session.

all the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Kevin Perry

Thats a great story ha
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
glennpendlay

Arden,

Not that your ordeal wasn't crappy, but can you imagine showing up to the world championships and finding that your bag with your shoes and belt were lost in transit? Kakhi Kakhiasvili had this happen to him one year, I think it was 1997, not sure though. But I have a vid of him training in flip flops, evidently he was forced to do his last couple of days training in the only shoes he had, sandals. That would be stressful. On the vid I believe he cleans and powerjerks 220 in the sandals. They did find his bag and get his shoes to him in time for the competition, which he won.

Glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

I'm not exactly sure what axe handles look like, but simply going off the name and the swinging activity you described, I assume they resemble an axe in some way... and this guy got them through airport security? What the hell? We're getting lazy again.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
glennpendlay

Personally, I would feel much safer on a plane if I knew Arden was sitting in the back with his Axe handles. In fact this might be the answer to the airport security question... why even worry about screening other passengers for things like knives, scissors, etc if youve got a guy like Arden with a couple of axe handles aboard? In a contest between a terrorist with a knife and Arden with a big long piece of wood, my money is on Arden!

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
Derek Simonds

Sorry to hear the ordeal. But I am confident that you and the family had a great cruise!

Seriously that is some funny crap! I could have smelled that bag from 50 feet away if those rehbands are anything as funky as mine!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote