Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Special Populations

Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Liam Dougherty Springer

Default Pregnant and training

Okay any information would be useful trainers fathers and especially mothers who have experience helping or attempting training while pregnant....

My immediate thoughts are limitations LISTEN TO YOUR BODY...

first trimester back off second trimester what feels good, and third....... yeah right!! I am sure working out is getting out of bed and up stairs at some point.

So in the second trimester when things are feeling good what movements are best I was thinking preparing for the on coming frontal loading, picking up and carrying of the baby, and somehow stretching the muscles while growth is occurring.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Dr. G? I know your wife recently went through this any observations?
Moms?

Thanx for your attention and thoughts.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
Okay any information would be useful trainers fathers and especially mothers who have experience helping or attempting training while pregnant....

My immediate thoughts are limitations LISTEN TO YOUR BODY...

first trimester back off second trimester what feels good, and third....... yeah right!! I am sure working out is getting out of bed and up stairs at some point.

So in the second trimester when things are feeling good what movements are best I was thinking preparing for the on coming frontal loading, picking up and carrying of the baby, and somehow stretching the muscles while growth is occurring.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Dr. G? I know your wife recently went through this any observations?
Moms?

Thanx for your attention and thoughts.
My wife did spinning class all the way through the second trimester. Only thing I would really advise against is deep heavy squats - of course every OBGYN will tell you that.

You need to be careful in the third trimester, walks are probably the best exercise there is during this time - the creation of relaxin by the body will cause women to get clumsy for good reason, they are about to put a watermelon through and egg-sized hole. After watching my wife go through the whole 40-week process, the third trimester is really the time to settle down and relax.

Nutrition is absolutely crucial during pregnancy even more so than during the time leading up or when not pregnant. The woman produces 50% more blood and a lot of energy goes into creating the cells for the baby. My wife ate a paleo diet and the doctors were amazed at her blood tests...of course I live in Mississippi and they are used to seeing overweight lazy women who down sugar all the time...

Last suggestion - be in the catcher's position for the birth, it is an amazing experience.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Blair Lowe

there is a whole slew of CF threads over on there board and maybe even a site like CF for pregnant women or sometin. Annie comes to mind when she was preggers.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Liz McGurrin

I had a baby a month ago, and can say that the third trimester was definitely a time to chill out and take it easy. Even walking for more than about 10 minutes gave me round ligament pain and lingering hip stiffness. That being said, working out was the only thing that resolved nausea for me during the first trimester (I went to a level 1 cert when I was 5 weeks and didn't know it...).

A great resource is http://www.crossfitmom.com (WFS)

Andrea has posted concise summaries of what's appropriate during each trimester. Major things to avoid:

Inversions (ie HSPU, GHD situps)
Ballistic movements
Slow, heavy lifts (ie DL or anything that requires holding the breath and "bearing down")

Both my delivery and my recovery have been quick, and I credit Crossfit!
Liz McGurrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Liz McGurrin

P.S. I did do Grace as RX'd at 7 months... took me forever, but it felt great to still be so strong.
Liz McGurrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

My wife was 2nd/3rd trimester preggo in Tucson in the summer. The weather (heat) plus her reduced ability to dissipate body heat tended to inhibit her exercise in general. When she could we'd go on our walks and she did her Jazzercise (she loves it, I love the smile it puts on her ex-professional-dancer face) when she felt like it. I didn't push the exercise too hard, I concerned myself more with her diet.

Some chiro plus massage helped her low back, which she has old injuries in, when she started really carrying heavy in the front.

Now that I'm starting to spend more time at the local CF Works to teach things like OL/KBs/gymnastics, her and my mom will likely be joining me there (this is post-partum though).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote