Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Matthew Bacorn

Default Hungry on SS?

I don't get it. I recently started SS, am eating more than I ever have, and am more consistently hungry than I have ever been (like, before every meal this week).

From what i understand, i shouldn't even want to look at food, yet i can't seem to get enough. The weights are still going up, but they're still light so that doesn't mean much.

I am eating paleo with dairy(at least until easter), am allergic to eggs, and get the runs from too many nuts. Food is unlimited from the college cafeteria, and pretty good too.

Here is a typical meal schedule

b-fast: ~8 pieces of bacon
some sausage or ham or whatever other meat they serve
1 or 2 bananas
2 or 3 glasses of milk

lunch 3 burger patties or 3 grilled chicken breasts
and a sweet potato or two
dinner butter and/or olive oil over everything
some green stuff
2 or 3 glasses of milk
a banana on the way out

The way i figure it, this is closing in on 4,000 calories a day, and I am hungry before every meal. And I mean Hungry. A few months ago i was eating half of this and wasn't near as hungry. WTF?

Has this happened to anybody else? Do i need to put on weight that bad?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What's your age, height, weight and lift numbers?

If you're underweight, yes, you probably need to drastically put on weight..
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Matthew Bacorn

oh, right. I don't think i'm that underweight... granted none of it is muscle

Im 18, 5'11'', and somewhere around 157-160 (a couple weeks ago)

Wunsler program (almost)
squat will be 155 tomorrow
press was 65
DL was 180
Dips (for bench) are 3x8 tomorrow
chins are 3x8 tomorrow

Nothing is really that hard yet. my biggest issue is shoving my knees out on the squat
Old 03-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

your body wants more bricks as you are signaling to it to build a bigger house....so eat.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Gavin Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Bacorn View Post
oh, right. I don't think i'm that underweight... granted none of it is muscle

Im 18, 5'11'', and somewhere around 157-160 (a couple weeks ago)
Nope, you're really underweight.

Edit: I'd probably go off paleo to gain weight, bread and beans aren't going to kill you, but they are very dense food, in terms of calories, and some extra protein in the beans.
Gavin Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Matthew Bacorn

Thanks yall.

I think the mirror will be my biggest enemy for a while. something about being the fat kid in middle school. maybe some newspaper and tape could solve this

Someone here said Eat hard, Train hard, Rest hard.

Resting is easy.

i though eating would be fun and training would be hard. i think i had it backwards
wait a minute... eating still is fun. thats right. now its snack time
Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I wouldn't say you are really underweight. I was 155 at 5'11" at 18. I was also a track and hockey player and didn't lift. I could run or skate all day without tiring which was great for my sports.

Your weight is subject to change based on stimuli, I think its a little unjust to put a label on people based on what they are at now. If he was 130 then definitely, but 157-160? Damn I'm trying to get to 165, and do a planche. I wouldn't call someone who can do a planche not strong...hell look at Steven Low. He's around 130 and very strong, but for his bodyweight!

If you want to get big and strong and deadlift 500#, you only really need about 25-30# of weight on your bones and decent genes with some hard work. That's possible easily with your 4000+ calories a day, its just going to take some time. Patience is the key. Eating 4000 cals of dense food versus 4000 calories of not so dense food doesn't matter. What matters is you eat. Milk has the definite advantage over anything else, period! Not enough calories - more milk, put protein powder in the milk, milk, milk, milk! (Another thing you can do instead of drinking water always be drinking something with calories in it, easiest way to get calories throughout the day).

Another note - in 3 years, your metabolism will slow down as you stop growing and you are going to be able to put on weight easily anyways, just something to keep in mind. You are feeding an engine that is still working on building the final product, not improving on a base.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Dave Van Skike

I'm not sure I understand the goal. 5'11'' 160 isn't tiny for a bike racer. for a strenth athlete it is but at that height you'd need to be looking at around 231-275 to fit the mold and so who cares....it's all for fun anyway.

I'd go with trying to eat until you're not hungry a couple times and see how that works. Sounds like you're worried about getting fat...otherwise you'd just be eating everything in site.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
Greg Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I don't think anyone can tell you about being underweight just based on your height.. all depends on your body type. I'm 5'11-6'0 and only 165lbs.. despite the fact that family and friends keep telling me I'm so much "skinnier" than I used to be I've stopped letting that get to me. I've been up as high as 190 using bodybuilding type nutrition but hell that was not my "natural" body type.. I had to stuff my face with carbs etc. Stuffing your face is not going to work long term IMO.

Check out these pics Robb Wolf points to:
http://robbwolf.com/?p=371
Do these dudes look underweight to you? To me they look fit, strong for their weight, and likely to be healthy into their old age. Yet throw some clothes on them and I'll bet you they'd get their share of "you're really underweight" comments.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
Matthew Bacorn

This has all given me some much needed perspective.

George- I hear ya. I played soccer and ran cc in high school, and could run all day. I still wasn't very athletic though. I could just run. And yeah, its milk with every meal for me now.

Dave- The short term goal is just to get stronger. Beyond that, who knows? I enjoy strongman/highland/lumberjack kind of stuff, so I'm thinking I might shift that way eventually. And yeah, I tried to be skinny for so long Im definitely a little hesitant. I think it has more to do with other's opinions than mine. I'm a work in progress.

Greg- Those pictures are crazy! Did you check out the linked article? The guy leaping off the boat... thats not how i learned to fish.

Maybe I just need a piece of whale meat taller than i am. That'd do the trick