Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Recipes

Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #21
Andrew Trueblood

The brisket ideas are all great and the pictures are phenomenal. That's some good looking meat.

I haven't spent much time with smokers... hope to add that to my bag of tricks someday, but I have really enjoyed braising as a technique to make both beef and sauce. Same concept (controlled, flavored heat), just different technique. I use a dutch oven for the most part and use my oven to provide a controlled, evenly applied temperature instead of cooking on the stovetop (less burned stuff on the bottom of the pot). Cooking liquid covers no more than 1/2 of the meat, controlling the heat applied to that submerged segment of the meat while simultaneously providing a high humidity environment that keeps the exposed meat from drying out as it browns. So you get the ease and tender texture of stewing while maintaining the flavor of roasting.

My quick and dirty Sunday dinner is to season a brisket or chuck roast, sear it off in the dutch oven with a little olive oil and remove to a plate. I deglaze the pot with chopped onion, add garlic when the onions soften, and then add a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes and two bay leaves. Meat goes back in the pot, no more than 1/2 submerged in cooking liquid, the top goes on the dutch oven, and the whole assembly goes into a 350 degree oven for 3 hours. Walk away. With an hour left to cook, I add three or four halved carrots and a couple stalks of rough chopped celery and flip the meat. At three hours, I'll check the meat. A 4# piece of meat should well into its plateau at this point and fork tender (Maybe I should use a remote thermometer to watch for the temp to go to 190? That's a neat idea.).

I take the meat out of its liquid and rest it on a covered plate to the side while I finish the sauce on the stovetop, seasoning with salt and pepper as needed, and allowing it to simmer down to the desired thickness. 3 1/2 hours total prep, on average, with only ~1/2 hour of direct attention.

To kick this up a bit, I'll fry coarse chopped bacon first and use the grease to sear the meat. I then add the bacon back to the mix with the tomatoes and will often add 1/4tsp of crushed red pepper to spice it up a bit. The bacon basically falls apart during the cooking process and just shows up as part of the sauce.
Andrew Trueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
Jay Cohen

Interesting....

I have a 8 qt or so Dutch Oven and while I may get this a shot, I really like my crock pot for simple, cook all day recipes.

Once the weather turns a tad warmer, then it's outside to the grill/smoker.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #23
Frank Needham

Thumbs up

I'd have to give this thread almost the highest rating of any I've seen on PM, ever. The heating element is burnt out on the cheapie electric smoker in the back yard and I've been toying around with the idea of getting a new element. Not any longer, I see a new smoker in our future just in time for summer! Really, some great posts in this thread people. I'm thinking about the BGE really seriously, smoking with charcoal sounds good to me. No heating elements to burn out, no gas to buy, just everyday charcoal and some flame.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #24
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
I'd have to give this thread almost the highest rating of any I've seen on PM, ever. The heating element is burnt out on the cheapie electric smoker in the back yard and I've been toying around with the idea of getting a new element. Not any longer, I see a new smoker in our future just in time for summer! Really, some great posts in this thread people. I'm thinking about the BGE really seriously, smoking with charcoal sounds good to me. No heating elements to burn out, no gas to buy, just everyday charcoal and some flame.
The BGE looks pretty awesome (the ability to sear at 1K+ is outstanding), but it's pricey. That will be on my long-term wish list.

I was feeling good about this thread, so I did a brisket this weekend. I only had 10 hours, so I used the Texas crutch (foil it at 180, add beer (or another liquid), let it steam to 190 then let it rest in the cooler). Turned out pretty good. I usually don't wrap, but this one wasn't missing anything.

Anyone else use the Crutch, or do you always go nude?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
The BGE looks pretty awesome (the ability to sear at 1K+ is outstanding), but it's pricey. That will be on my long-term wish list.

I was feeling good about this thread, so I did a brisket this weekend. I only had 10 hours, so I used the Texas crutch (foil it at 180, add beer (or another liquid), let it steam to 190 then let it rest in the cooler). Turned out pretty good. I usually don't wrap, but this one wasn't missing anything.

Anyone else use the Crutch, or do you always go nude?
Damns Gant, ...I didn't even know about the crutch.

I'm still back with the remedials hammering out pot roast in the dutch oven...felt like cooking indors yesterday after pouring concrete in the basement all day...couldn't bring myself to grill in the snow.

to the plus side, I used Jared's 190 number instead of instinct and then let it rest in a cooler as RX'ed, worked a charm and I ate the whole thing.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #26
Frank Needham

for more perspective on what the BGE can, and can't do, check out this other huge thread: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/351543