Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Matt Horvath

Default Snatch Advice/Corrections?

I finally picked up a cheap camcorder to see what my lifts look like. I did a snatch workout yesterday and was hoping to get some feedback/corrections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMTkZ...e=channel_page

The big things I noticed are:

1) Landing off balance w/ the weight too far forward and coming up on my toes. My correction is to practice hitting my positions on my thigh and making sure the bar is in close to my body when I finish the second pull. I just need to keep the bar closer.

2) Poor head position from start to finish; I look down instead of forward. This may be contributing to not keeping the bar in close enough.

3) I'm concerned about the back angle at the bottom. I think I have too much of a forward lean and not keeping my back vertical enough. I may experiment w/ landing position and go a little wider. This may be a function of the bar being too far away from my body as well.

I need some things to work on so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Matt Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Your assessment is right on. Take your time in your start and get set before taking off. Get your head/eyes up. You're basically trying to do a low-bar back squat with a bar overhead - as you're finding, this doesn't work. Sit your hips in on your heels and get your chest up. That head/eye position pulls your chest down/forward even more, so make sure you keep it up when you're receiving too.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Dave Ogilbee

Haha, Matt, your observations were spot on with what I thought as well! Couple of things I've found to help from personal experience:

Keeping the bar close can be a very big aid in smoothly completing the lift. I've got forward lean that has been tough to shake (I'm working on it), but once I just set my mind to keeping that bar right up on the thighs / torso through the 2nd pull, things started to get easier.

You look like you've got a good scapular lock at the bottom of the lift, but like you and Greg observed, keeping eyes/head forward is really going to help keep that vertebra strong, not to mention provide focus on what you're doing.

The other thing is actually on footwork; Shoes more specifically. It looks like you've got a pair of lifting shoes already if, I'm not mistaken? If not, I'd recommend a good pair of wood or other firm material heeled shoes to help keep good contact with the ground and provide some better stability at the bottom of the lift.

My 2 bits anyway. Good luck and happy lifting mate!

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
David Dalpiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
You're basically trying to do a low-bar back squat with a bar overhead - as you're finding, this doesn't work.
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't this work? If you can low-bar squat more than high-bar, wouldn't it make sense to squat overhead in a low-bar type squat. So long as you can still get the bar over midfoot, I'm not seeing any obvious problems. (Although I'm sure there are some.)
David Dalpiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Matt Horvath

Thanks for the replies.

Dave O., I have the Rogue Do Wins and the heel does help.

David D., my big problem in the position was losing my balance forward, especially on the recovery. Theres also the issue of effiency, where it is preferable to have your spinal column support the load over your head, especially when the weight gets heavier, vs. the shoulders supporting it in a somewhat compromised position. I'll let the guys who know what they are talking about answer though.

I was messing around today at work, and I can squat w/ an upright spine, so the footwork is another thing I need to work on, hitting the right position to get my butt down on my heels.

I'll post some more videos next Saturday with hopefully some improvements.
Matt Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
John Filippini

Matt - Good self assessment, like Greg says. My guess is that you'll be surprised how much of the problems will go away just by looking ahead and getting your chest up at the starting position. In your pull it doesn't look like the bar is anywhere close to you at any point, and keeping your chest up should help with that.

David D - My impression of the issue is that strength standing up won't be the limiting factor, how stable you are in the receiving position could be. Irrelevant of how strong your muscles are with an angled back, a vertical spine will still be more stable, allowing you to balance the bar overhead easier. If you can receive the bar with stability, I'd almost guarantee you'll be able to stand up with it.
John Filippini is offline   Reply With Quote