Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #1021
Derek Simonds

Sunday March 15

D W/U
Hammer Routine

BS 45 X5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 2, 215 X 5 X 3

Bench 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3
Row 135 X 5 X 2, 155 X 5 X 3

Met-Con
9, 15, 21 KB Swings with 24 KG KB
40 Meter 20 LB Med Ball Throw and Chase, this is between the swings and burpees so you make 2 trips per round.
15, 12, 9 Burpees

8:04 and I was nicely smoked.

I might be a total puss with the weight I am moving on the bench but by gawd my technique is coming along nicely. This morning was the first time I felt like I had all the pieces in place. Now to get stronger!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #1022
Derek Simonds

March 16 Monday

D W/U
Hammer Time (this is starting to feel good)
RKC Armber + TGU

PC 61 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 x 3, 135 x 3 x 2, 145 x 3 x 2

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 4, 275 X 3 X 3 (struggled for a couple of reasons today)
OA DB Floor Press 45 X 8 X 2, 50 X 8 X 2, 65 X 8 (wow)

Press 45 X 10, 75 X 10, 95 X 8 X 3
Chin Ups 3 X 5

Done. I am smoked so I need to check my log and see when my recovery week is, might be taking it early. My grip was destroyed and my DL bar got broke last week in a PC drop (who would have thunk it) so I used my Pendlay bar. It is a little smaller and the knurling is different enough that it absolutely crushed my calluses. Bizarre in all but hey sometimes you are the windshield sometimes the bug.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:12 AM   #1023
Derek Simonds

March 20th Friday

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 3, 205 X 5 X 3

Bench 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3
DB Row 50 X 8, 65 X 8 X 2, 70 X 8, 75 X 5

OA Floor Press 50 X 8 X 3
DB Hammer Curl 30 X 9 X 3

Another morning that I was just flat out exhausted. I am going to get some rest next week. One more workout this weekend then a week off.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #1024
Derek Simonds

March 23 Monday

Actually no more workouts over the weekend other than shoveling rock. Couple of things happened that all contributed to just a fantastic weekend.

1) Some good friends of our family came in from MI so we went to the lake on Friday
2) In accordance with all man laws I drank more than normal since a good friend was there on vacation
3) I shoveled 2 yards of gravel Saturday morning after breakfast and am still feeling it.
4) We spent the entire day on the water from 12 til 6:30. The kids tubed and kneeboarded like crazy. Delaney and Derek Jr both have birthdays this week. Jr's is the 24th and Laney's is the 26th so it was the last time they were going to kneeboard as 6 and 8 year olds and they wanted to make the most of it.
5) We hustled back on Sunday for the circus which was their birthday party with friends and then went to Pizza Hut for dinner. Laney told me it was the best birthday ever. I pray that she tells me that every year. Big note to self and everyone else, when the circus wants to upsell you to reserved seating say YES! We were jammed into general admission and I was right behind a pole.
6) The air compressor went out at the car wash and when we got done with dinner my dad, bro in law, son and me went there and got the new compressor installed and wired in. Took a little work but all done. Now if I remember correctly blue to black, red to red, green to anything...

7) And lastly Friday before I left after my workout I was pretty amped up so I grabbed a deck of cards and had at it. There was only 48 in there so I still can't say I have torn an entire deck, but by golly I am right there. This deck was fairly easy on the hierarchy of toughness but once again I am working on it.

So all that said I am pretty darn sore today. Especially my hands and forearms.

D W/U

30 Minutes and around 1.5 miles of walking during which I carried a 16 KG KB for half of it. I dropped the KB on the second loop.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #1025
Derek Simonds

Tuesday March 24

D W/U

Hammer Time

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 3

BW Lunge X 5 X 3
B/E X 5 X 3

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 4
DB Row 40 LB X 5 X 4

OA FLoor Press 30 X 5 X 3
DB Hammer Curl 30 X 5 X 3

S/U 10 X 3

Today and tomorrow are recovery days. I am trying to determine exactly what is going into the next program and I don't want to over do it. I think I have it laid out pretty good but I am still tweaking. Couple of days more rest will do me good. Everything felt just right today.

Happy B-Day to Jr!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #1026
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Tuesday March 24

D W/U

Hammer Time

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 3

BW Lunge X 5 X 3
B/E X 5 X 3

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5 X 4
DB Row 40 LB X 5 X 4

OA FLoor Press 30 X 5 X 3
DB Hammer Curl 30 X 5 X 3

S/U 10 X 3

Today and tomorrow are recovery days. I am trying to determine exactly what is going into the next program and I don't want to over do it. I think I have it laid out pretty good but I am still tweaking. Couple of days more rest will do me good. Everything felt just right today.

Happy B-Day to Jr!
Happy B-Day to the little guy eh? Nice.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #1027
Derek Simonds

March 25 Wednesday

D W/U
RKC Armbar + TGU
Sledge Levering (12 LB's was a wee bit hard)

B W/U
PC 45 X 5, 61 X 3, 81 X 3 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3

Pistols 2 per leg X 3
Russian Twist on B/E with 12 LB Med Ball

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 75 X 5 X 3
P/U's 2 X 4

Planks 3 X 1 minute

Knocked it all out including mobility stuff in under an hour. Cooked breakfast for the kids, cleaned up, put away laundry, drove kids to school and then went to the airport. Getting ready to see a bunch of family I haven't seen in years tonight a quick meeting in the morning and back home for Delaney's B-Day.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #1028
Derek Simonds

Thursday March 26

Delaney's Birthday!

Friday March 27

D W/U

Sledge Levering with an 8 lb maul. Did 4 sets of 3 each arm to nose. Did 4 sets from floor really choked up on the handle. Did 4 sets of wrist flexion and extension with the maul forward and back 6 reps each time.

Two blue rubber bands at once extension 3 sets 10 reps each hand.

1.5 mile 2 dog patrol. For the first .9 miles I carried a 40 LB sandbag in various positions. Dropped it and did a couple of light sprints to stretch mine and the doggies legs out. Nice walk right at 30 minutes total.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #1029
Derek Simonds

March 28 Saturday

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 3, 205 X 5 X 3, 255 X 1 (Really focused on chest up, eyes ahead and a big full breath)

Lunge 40 LB DB's 5 per leg X 2, BW X 5 per leg
B/E + 10 LB's X 10 X 3

Bench 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3, 205 X 1
Row 135 X 6 X 4

Met-Con

95 LB Thruster X 3
50 M sprint
5 Burpees

Walk back for rest and repeat 3 times as fast as possible each time. This is a slight power bias but you never recover. The thrusters to sprint is done a'la Dan John conversions and are wicked by themselves.

Drag Curls 55 X 10

OA Floor Press 40 X 10 X 3
S/U's 15 X 3

Total time including setup and tear down 90 minutes. I will take it. We pushed the rest time on the squats and had two stations so we didn't have to change the weight as much. The bench slowed us down with one bench for three very different weights being lifted. I almost passed out on the rows I was getting set and Laney needed something and I was answering here then I stood up really quick and saw stars. Whoohee!

Heading to Jr's AAU meet later today. He has been practicing hard all week long so lets hope for some improvement.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #1030
Derek Simonds

March 29 Sunday

RKC Armbar + TGU 6 minutes
2 Hammer Shoulder Routine
D W/U
B W/U

PC 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 3, 135 X 3, 145 X 3, 155 X 3

Rack Pulls below knee 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 415 x 3, 465 x 1, 315 x 4

Pistols 3, 3, 3
Russian Twist on B/E 20 LB Med Ball 20, 20, 20

Press + DJ lockout 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5, 105 X 5, 115 X 4
P/U 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Met-Con

2 minutes of each the following no rest other than to change spots

16 KG KB Snatch
20 LB Med Ball Slams
Row

Ended up with

40 Snatches
45 Slams
535 M's

My row was toast by the time I got there. Fairly taxing little 6 minutes. I felt like I had more in me on the pulls but just couldn't get the weight moving the way I wanted to. PC's felt great and I anticipate a BW PC in the next month or so. Press has been one of my great weaknesses in lifting and I have been pressing twice a week for a while now. I am going to test my 1 RM on the press in 2 weeks and see how I have progressed.

There is not a part of my body that isn't sore right now so I think the tweaks I made to our program were effective.

If you didn't see my other post here is a link to Jr's meet yesterday it was awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hton-3Xx_4Q