Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise View Post
your a good man. and you never know when you might want to do reverse hypers and now you can, just look at it that away lol. I think all you really could add to that would be a GHD.
Actually, the reverse hyper has a GHD attachment. I thought it through pretty well in assembling the crap I've got in there.

Funny story, my 11 year old is kinda spoiled when it comes to gyms. She has her second weightlifting comp coming up in a few months. Thus far, she's trained at my home gym, Moorestown Weightlifting club, and Pittsburgh Barbell. I took her up to the Y a few weeks ago and she was walking through the weightlifting area and looked at me in amazement. I was, like, "what?" She says to me, "where's the platform? We can't lift without a platform."

That was the point when I realized I would volunteer to build a platform.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
Justin Algera

Seeing those pics, I again question why I left Florida to move to NYC
Justin Algera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Algera View Post
Seeing those pics, I again question why I left Florida to move to NYC

Justin,
Did you leave a comfy facility in Florida for a not so comfy facility in NYC? Although I must admit that there would have to be a huge difference. My close friends, and those that have trained at my home gym, refer to man cave as "Muscle Holler."

A true place where one can enjoy some of my crazy Lumberjack met-con.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqy4q9Oo3Q

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
Timothy Scalise

you are a beast... seriously a beast. I bet you could break a man with one hand. lol, awesome work. I want to go to the man cave now lol.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
Don Stevenson

Now that's alternative conditioning!

Hey Arden, are any of the US team coming down under for the Royal Easter show wood chopping events this year?
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #16
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise View Post
you are a beast... seriously a beast. I bet you could break a man with one hand. lol, awesome work. I want to go to the man cave now lol.
Thanks Timothy,
But just as my daughters say, I'm sorta like a big scary lookin' teddy bear.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 AM   #17
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stevenson View Post
Now that's alternative conditioning!

Hey Arden, are any of the US team coming down under for the Royal Easter show wood chopping events this year?
Don,
I have competed at the Royal Easter show eight times - and I'm the captain of the US Men's team. Unfortunately, we didn't gather enough sponsorship to send a men's team this year. But my wife is attending as a member of our ladies national team. Someone has to stay home with the girls?

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #18
Dave Ogilbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Thanks so much. But I'll never charge anyone anything. I'm a USAW club coach and I volunteer my time at Crossfit WV and the Charleston YMCA to those who are interested in learning how to olympic lift. I just love having others to lift/train with. If that makes any sense? I have a great job/career and lifting/lumberjack sports are my hobbies/passions.

All the best,
Arden
My sentiments exactly Arden. You are my flipping hero, lol. I'm very interested in getting into coaching specifically for O-lifting, but so few people are interested in it around here that it's tough to find anyone wanting to learn, let alone lift with. (I think i'm the only person at my current gym that uses the platforms specifically for what they're meant for). Whats education / schooling like for someone wanting to get into O-lift coaching?

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #19
Timothy Scalise

I got a question, how heavy was that kettlebell on the russian twists?
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ogilbee View Post
My sentiments exactly Arden. You are my flipping hero, lol. I'm very interested in getting into coaching specifically for O-lifting, but so few people are interested in it around here that it's tough to find anyone wanting to learn, let alone lift with. (I think i'm the only person at my current gym that uses the platforms specifically for what they're meant for). Whats education / schooling like for someone wanting to get into O-lift coaching?
Thanks Dave!! Coaching for O-lifting is a learned process. If you're a stand alone place, that's not associated with crossfit, I would recommend the USAW club coaching cert. They are conducted all over the US and all you need to do is go the USAW - US Weightlifting site; calenders for the club coaching certs are listed.

If there's xfit gyms in your area, xfit and Greg offer awesome courses/certifications. Greg's are very impressive. My hope is that he and Aimee host one closer to where I live this Fall or early next springs. I'm all about learning as much as I can.

My hope is to attend the Regional Coaching Course conducted at Moorestown NJ this July. I'll never be a regional coach as you have to have a certain number of lifters, who qualify for national comps, sign you off as their coach. My main impetus for attending the RCC is to attend the week long "Weightlifting Camp" hosted by the Moorestown Weightlifting Club. I know it's not the summer camp my daughter had hoped for, but it's one she can go to with her chubby daddy.

All the best,
ARden