Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
Gittit Shwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
In the end....the body is a pretty damn smart machine....and will tell us what is in the best interests of itself....that is if we actually listen.

Body says no meat or fat....probably a good idea to take a break and then slowly get back into it.

Don't piss off the liver or gallbladder.....only got one of each and no spares.
What about overweight people whose deranged body is telling them they NEED sugar? Not saying the "wisdom of the body" is useless, but unless you're a hunter-gatherer with an intact metabolism living in a pristine world, it should be listened to with caution.

OK, is there any way I can test the liver/gallbladder to see if they're OK? Dr. G?

Also, could there be a problem with protein itself regardless of the source? As I wrote above I'm relying on whey powder to keep up my normal protein intake. It doesn't cause any immediate problems, but I wonder.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittit Shwartz View Post
What about overweight people whose deranged body is telling them they NEED sugar? Not saying the "wisdom of the body" is useless, but unless you're a hunter-gatherer with an intact metabolism living in a pristine world, it should be listened to with caution..
The body and it's internal communications were meant for a world from long ago.....if you want to throw in today's crappy food choices and stressful environments along with severe metabolic disorders (insulin resistance esp) then yes it can all go to hell with mixed signals and incorrect interpretations. Overweight people tend to crave sugar because they are stuck in a blood sugar rollercoaster. Normalize their eating and their cravings can reset and come under control (unless of course they are mentally attached to eating something....which is a whole 'nother issue altogether).

The body cravings for sugar is from natural sources like fruit (as the internal feedback loop was designed long ago before anything else was available)........not cookies, Coke and ice cream.

The computer isn't broken internally.....it sometimes just gets a virus and needs a little rebooting.

Also most people in today's world overly crave sugar because of the excessive mental stress demand for it....as cortisol demands more blood sugar for the brain which is a glucose hog...it wants more to keep going at such a high rate of exertion. The mind and body is not designed for the chronic stress we are trying to give it in today's world just because we think "more is better" all the time.

I don't think you need a test for the gallbladder just because you lost an appetite for fatty meats, just give it a break especially if your diet was high in fat before all this started. Then slowly add back in some fat and see how it all goes.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
Garrett Smith

Gittit,
The easy way to test this is to do a relatively low-fat diet for a day or two, then "stress" the system with a high-fat meal (if it is lower in protein, then you can see what the effects of fat are relatively alone, ie. veggies cooked in a good amount of oil and maybe some nut butter with it).

As far as the liver, you should first get a basic CMP (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel) bloodwork done...make sure they do a GGT and an Alkaline Phosphatase as part of it.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
Gittit Shwartz

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've cut back on fat a bit and I do feel better. We'll see how it goes.