Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
glennpendlay

Thats pretty amazing. I have a pretty good sized pit, 101 lbs last time we were at the vet, and real solid and strong as a bull. Im a 300lb guy and stronger than average, and Ill tell you, i do wrestle with Mack sometimes, but just from that experience, id NEVER want to tangle with him if he were mad. NEVER.

Ill say this, I think if it were he and me in a cage and we were both in a killing rage, I think I could take him, but I know id take serious damage in doing so. A big pit is just so strong, fast, athletic, etc, I just dont see how you are not going to get ripped up a little if they are really after you... of course same goes for a German shephard, rott, etc. A big dog is a scary thing if they are really after you.

that kid is brave, but also lucky, IMO.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
Scott Kustes

Very cool, brave, and lucky. I used to wrestle with a 55lb Husky/Golden mix and that was a tough match. I would submit her the same way though....RNC and wrap my legs around her hind quarters/legs. But that was just when she was being playful. Never had to mess with her angry.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I would fight different animals. If I was fighting a dog, I'd get the hell off the ground. Find some water or climb up on something and take away his advantage.

An old dog handler once told me that you need to offer your arm if you're fighting a pit. The pit will take the first thing given to it and stay with it. He'll tear the arm up, but you'll live. He said a Shepard will take your arm, get you down, and then work up to your neck.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
glennpendlay

Gant,

I just watched Caleb try to hold Mack down on the couch. Couldnt do it. Even with all of Calebs 275lbs on top of him and pressing down on him, and Mack being nice and not biting or anything, couldnt hold him down.

This confirms my opinion that I DO NOT want to tangle with any large dogs if I am empty handed, particularly a 100lb pit bull. I think you are right, find a tree, and climb it fast.

Glenn
Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
Gant,

I just watched Caleb try to hold Mack down on the couch. Couldnt do it. Even with all of Calebs 275lbs on top of him and pressing down on him, and Mack being nice and not biting or anything, couldnt hold him down.
That part is key. Fortunately Mack is as laid back an animal as I've seen. I wouldn't screw with him.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
David Boyle

What about shoving your arm down it's throat and grabbing and pulling out what you get a hold of....?

Or shoving your thumbs/any other finger into their eyes and stab/repeat?

I don't have any dogs, so I can't imagine how it would be to go toe to toe w/ one.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:03 AM   #17
glennpendlay

David,

Im sure that humans are capable of more than we think sometimes... I mean there are stories of people fighting off bears and big cats with knives or sticks... and both are clearly tougher than a german shephard or rottweiler or pit bulls.

However, the thought that you could poke the eye of, or hit the nose of, some dogs and hurt them and make them stop, im not so sure.

A couple of weeks ago, Maggie, my border collie/black lab mix, who is normally a nice dog but as she gets older gets more cranky, went after my pit bull big time. I was giving them both some doggy treats and she just got pissed and went for him. The "attack" lasted maybe 6-7 seconds, she went for his head and neck, and bit him repeatedly on the jaw, face, and neck. Afterward he was dripping blood from several puncture wounds on his face and neck. Dripped blood all over my kitchen floor.

Now, Mack was standing in front of me, wagging his tail, and looking at the dog treat in my hand when it started. And he stood there, fairly still, looked at me and wagged his tail the whole time. Didnt even flinch. Never took his eyes off me and never stopped wagging his tail. And after i smacked maggie and she kind of cowered down, he turned to her and licked her and tried to "make friends" again i guess.

So, I'm not sure, but im a bit skeptical that if he, or any dog like him, was really pissed, a little pain would deter him. I might be wrong, but if he can take something like that without even flinching when hes all calm and being nice, well when the adrenaline is up and hes really enraged, what would he ignore?

I dont know, but as i have said before, I dont want to fight no big dogs.

glenn
Old 05-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
Chuck Kechter

Last November I was walking my dog (a 12 year old greyhound) on a local bike trail, when a pit pulled out of a woman's hand and attacked my dog.

I saw that it was going to happen, but was a fraction of a second too late to get between them. The pit was FAST... It went for my dog's neck, and luckily before it could grab him, I got there. I grabbed the pit by the back of it's neck and it's belly, and sort of spun-hip tossed it head first into the sidewalk. It started a scramble after my dog, so I used my chest/weight to bury it till I could get a better position. I went to kesa-getame (modified scarf hold for you Judo/BJJ guys), underhooked it's far leg and used my ribs/weight on the back of it's neck -- stretching it out in ways dog's normally don't move -- till it slowed it's scramble. Then I turned it over and (in dog parlance) made it submit to me with my ribs buried in it's diaphragm and an arm across it's throat...

Scariest minute I've had in a long time. Freaked out my wife, daughter, the owner of the pit and a neighbor who all witnessed the attack.

Not something I want to do again...

PS. In writing this out, it looks like I had some kind of plan going on. The truth is, this stuff "just happened." This was my automatic response after 35+ years of martial art.

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
glennpendlay

I guess I've been reading this thread too much. I was riding my bike with my son a few days ago, and we saw this fairly slightly built girl, maybe 100-110lbs walking TWO huge rottweilers. Now, I have seen plenty of rott's. Most are fairly normal sized dogs, maybe 80 to 110lbs. Big but not huge. But these dogs had to go 150lbs + each. They were freaking huge. I mean HUGE. And of course seemed like very nice dogs, very friendly, which in my experience is normal for rott's, usually fairly intelligent, very friendly dogs. But having recently read this thread, I'm thinking, if those dogs came for me, WTF could I do?

Its good that in reality, the vast majority of big dogs are gentle towards humans, at least the ones I have seen. Ive had a few "big" dogs, and they have been incredibly gently. And I'd have to say my pit is the gentlest of all.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
David Boyle

In combat or in garrison....you should always have some form of a blade on you at all times.

To cut MREs or a terrorist....

Or to open the mail or stab a beast coming after ya....

Yea man it is scary to think of what an animal can/would do to you if it got out of control on you....