Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #31
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique Billington View Post
Dave I know Mark Henry was a powerlifter (so was Shane Hamman), they were both powerlifters before they were Olympic weightlifters, that was my point, a big deadlift has no correlation to cleaning. Deadlifting does not train one for the most important part of the lifts, the squat under the bar, both of these two lifters were known for their inefficient squats under the bar, especially Mark Henry, due to their practice of overextension (triple extension), a habit they undoubtedly formed doing deadlifts, power cleans, and high pulls.

Enrique,
I am a perfect example of what you have described. I have the ability to deadlift in excess of 360 kilos. Yet, the most I have ever cleaned is 141 kilos. It's very humbling and I love it - as I've found since I've taken up olympic lifting (and stopped frequent overly heavy pulls and squats) all the aches and pains have gone away.

But you are absolutely right - for me, the pulling power for deadlifts does NOT equate to a persons cleaning potential. I have performed clean pulls with over 200kgs, but there is absoltely no way i could ever get myself under that bar and stand up with it. No way. And, to be frank, I never intend to.

I can someday see myself snatching my bodyweight (117) and c&J 150 to 160. At least those are my long term goals. But for now, I'm moving weights that are in the 80 to 100 range and 110 to 130 range. It's complete mastery of technique and that's the part that I'm truly enjoying. And, at this stage, I'm very far from the mastery of anything - but perhaps humility?

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #32
John Alston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I think some of you are slightly misunderstanding the difference between a training maximum and a competition maximum. I will repost what I posted Zatsiorsky states that the training maximum is the heaviest load which one can lift without substantial emotional excitement, .
I will second this from personal experience. I have seen this written in multiple places that intelligently discuss Bulgarian training, I've seen Gelnn Pendlay describe this online, Dan John's written about this, and I've felt the difference myself.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #33
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Nice to see you back around.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #34
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique Billington View Post
Dave I know Mark Henry was a powerlifter (so was Shane Hamman), they were both powerlifters before they were Olympic weightlifters, that was my point, a big deadlift has no correlation to cleaning. Deadlifting does not train one for the most important part of the lifts, the squat under the bar, both of these two lifters were known for their inefficient squats under the bar, especially Mark Henry, due to their practice of overextension (triple extension), a habit they undoubtedly formed doing deadlifts, power cleans, and high pulls.
And Michael Jordan wasn't very good at baseball...
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote